• HTML tutorial

SPJEEP4x4

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate I

Wichita, KS
Member #

Comet rs720 mount. Here is a pic.

Nice rig, we have similar builds in mind. Go out and explore!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Did you have any problems tuning your antenna? I have the same set up and can’t gwt my SWR reading out of the red. Wondering if it’s a grounding issue. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

quadabaum

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Georgia USA
Member #

Did you have any problems tuning your antenna? I have the same set up and can’t gwt my SWR reading out of the red. Wondering if it’s a grounding issue. Thanks in advance.
Sorry i havent logged in recently. I have yet to tune to be honest, when i do i will report back.

SPJEEP4x4

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate I

Wichita, KS
Member #

I ended up having to go a different route. I unknowingly bought the nso mount with a 3/4 in hole instead of a 1/2 in hole. I was also having problems grounding so I just got a ditch light bracket from relentless fab and put the antenna up there. Hopefully you'll have better luck than I did.

Reactions: quadabaum

quadabaum

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Georgia USA
Member #

Big changes coming, I decided that I dont want to pull a trailer on the trails. Therefore, I will be selling the M416 and RTT and upgrading to the GoFastCamper top for my Taco. This seemed like the best all around option for me, added security to the bed and it allows the dog to sleep with us. I will be driving to Montana in the fall and picking the camper up in person, at which time I will also be going to yellowstone, moab, and the grand canyon while I am nearby. It will be a 10 day trip and really help me determine where to go next with my Taco.

SPJEEP4x4

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate I

Wichita, KS
Member #

Awesome, I can't wait to see it on the rig. If I may ask, what was the biggest reason for not wanting to pull a trailer? I was hoping to do some sort of rack with a rtt but the wife said if she was going to do long excursions she would prefer a camper so some sort. So that has lead me down the road of researching the teardrops. My biggest issue is running it on the trails.

quadabaum

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Georgia USA
Member #

Awesome, I can't wait to see it on the rig. If I may ask, what was the biggest reason for not wanting to pull a trailer? I was hoping to do some sort of rack with a rtt but the wife said if she was going to do long excursions she would prefer a camper so some sort. So that has lead me down the road of researching the teardrops. My biggest issue is running it on the trails.
I didnt feel that the "extra" room of a trailer was necessary since I went from a TJ to a Tacoma I have a lot more space in the bed of the truck. I also tend to camp in a spot for 1 night and then move to another spot so keeping all the gear in the truck seemed to be the most efficient option. I want to keep the stuff in the bed of the truck secure and dry, so I figured if I was going to do all this then the GFC made a lot of since.

As far as trails go, I found myself turning around a lot during our GA traverse trip and every time I was saying "Having to do this with a trailer would be tough". With my new work schedule I see myself taking ~1 3-4 day trip per month so packing up quickly is going to be key to be able to enjoy as much of each trip as I can. There are plenty of pros/cons for trailers and for truck campers, like the GFC, and for me being all in one was the best option.

Reactions: SPJEEP4x4

TRAYNC

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Midland, NC
First Name
Travis
Last Name
R
Member #

Looking forward to seeing the build. We basically have the same story. I also have a 17 TRDOR but started in jeeps as well. First Jeep was a 99 XJ then I went to a 05 TJ Rubicon, which I still have but battle myself daily on whether or not to keep it. I’m building mine as I go, just ordered sliders and am looking at uprgrading tires.

Quick question, where did you mount your cab and antenna? I ordered a unisex 520 but am returning it and thinking of going with a Cobra 75 WX since I couldn’t really find a good mounting spot.
Check out the Hondo Garage CB Mounts for Cobra 75WX, It works great

Attachments

SPJEEP4x4

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate I

Wichita, KS
Member #

Check out the Hondo Garage CB Mounts for Cobra 75WX, It works great
I went with the Midland 75-822 for cb and have a Scosche magic mount that I will use to mount it in the cab when I'm using it. Otherwise it lives in the glove box. For the antenna mounting I went with a relentless fab ditch light bracket.

SPJEEP4x4

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate I

Wichita, KS
Member #

I didnt feel that the "extra" room of a trailer was necessary since I went from a TJ to a Tacoma I have a lot more space in the bed of the truck. I also tend to camp in a spot for 1 night and then move to another spot so keeping all the gear in the truck seemed to be the most efficient option. I want to keep the stuff in the bed of the truck secure and dry, so I figured if I was going to do all this then the GFC made a lot of since.

As far as trails go, I found myself turning around a lot during our GA traverse trip and every time I was saying "Having to do this with a trailer would be tough". With my new work schedule I see myself taking ~1 3-4 day trip per month so packing up quickly is going to be key to be able to enjoy as much of each trip as I can. There are plenty of pros/cons for trailers and for truck campers, like the GFC, and for me being all in one was the best option.

Thanks for the quick response. It's great to hear about other's experiences so one can make their own pros and cons list. Looking forward to seeing the GFC on your truck.

18TaCOB

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Castro Valley, CA
Member #

Big changes coming, I decided that I dont want to pull a trailer on the trails. Therefore, I will be selling the M416 and RTT and upgrading to the GoFastCamper top for my Taco. This seemed like the best all around option for me, added security to the bed and it allows the dog to sleep with us. I will be driving to Montana in the fall and picking the camper up in person, at which time I will also be going to yellowstone, moab, and the grand canyon while I am nearby. It will be a 10 day trip and really help me determine where to go next with my Taco.
I just ordered my GFC on Saturday too! I had the exact same idea about picking up in Montana and making a circuit through Glacier, Yellowstone, and the Grand Tetons to break it in. Maybe I’ll see you out in the parks.

quadabaum

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Georgia USA
Member #

Got a killer deal on a chainsaw ive been watching for about 4 months. The stihl MS170 will handle home and trail duty. Also designed and 3d printed a lens cap and mount for my wifes old fujifilm S2940 that she passed down to me now that she has given up her photography hobby.

Attachments

quadabaum

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Georgia USA
Member #

I just ordered my GFC on Saturday too! I had the exact same idea about picking up in Montana and making a circuit through Glacier, Yellowstone, and the Grand Tetons to break it in. Maybe I’ll see you out in the parks.
Great, itll be cool to run into a fellow OB member and GFC owner.

quadabaum

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Georgia USA
Member #

Putting my electrical together.

-Blue seas 12 circuit fuse box
-Bussman 100 amp circuit breaker hooked up using 6 gauge cable
-Paranoid Fabrications mount for 3rd Gen TRDOR model to mount the fuse box and circuit breaker to
-Blue seas 12v socket and usb port being installed in the bed, wired up with 12 gauge wire

Attachments

Reactions: Shallow Water Steve

quadabaum

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Georgia USA
Member #

I learned a lot throughout this mod. I built my electrical system, now have 12.6v in the bed of the truck to run the dometic and charge stuff.

Reactions: Shallow Water Steve