Pulling the trigger on a RTT, any advice?

• HTML tutorial

jdunk

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder II

King County, Washington, United States
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

I received a response from Bobby over at CVT, here are some of the highlights...

Extra's and upgrades on the Summit that the standard doesn't have. This has convinced me that the Summit is the version that I'll be going with, even if I am stuck with that super bright green...

1. The floor is a diamond plate honeycomb aluminum floor
  2. Fabric is a 380g compared to 280g on our standard
  3. Straps on the cover are a cinch buckle versus Velcro on the others
  4. Waterproof mattress cover
  5. Condensation mat
  6. LED lighting
    1. on and off switch with a dimmer
    2. Two usb ports
  7. Shoe racks. One on each side of the ladder
  8. Telescoping ladder
    1. has release on face of steps versus underneath on others on the market
    2. Has bumper stops in between each step
  9. Fly is also heavier with quick release buckle's
  10. The interior poles are wrapped
  11. All the Plastic fittings have been upgraded to alloy ( on hinges)
  12. D-rings are bigger and the Velcro is thicker
  13. Spreader bar in the units with the overhang. Helps eliminate puddling on top of the overhang
I asked a few follow-up questions, but it sounds like this is the most likely tent I'll be purchasing. Bend isn't so far away that I can't get there, and it's a great drive and a gorgeous part of the country if I have to go and see them for some reason.

More later as I get information!

Corbet

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Durango, CO
First Name
Corbet
Last Name
Hoover
Member #

Not trying to talk you out of a CVT. But if you have any questions about a Tepui let me know. I'm a dealer and use the Autana Ruggedized model personally. Ruggedized and Summit versions are similar. Basically if you just can't stand green there are other similar options from Tepui.

Reactions: vegasjeepguy

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

Not trying to talk you out of a CVT. But if you have any questions about a Tepui let me know. I'm a dealer and use the Autana Ruggedized model personally. Ruggedized and Summit versions are similar. Basically if you just can't stand green there are other similar options from Tepui.
Agreed. I've got the ruggedized Kukenam XL and its is amazing.

Rob

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Bay Area, CA
Member #

I have an Tepui Ayer and love it. Regardless, I've seen plenty of support from both CVT and Tepui on various forums and both companies seem quick to respond and resolve any issues. I know both companies are active on the tacomaworld forums.

Raul B

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kyle, Hays County, Texas, United States
First Name
Raul
Last Name
Banuelos
Member #

i have the Mt Rainer extended right now and had the regular version of the shasta previously... Hands down the summit series is worth the upgrade.. but... i really liked the shasta size wise since i cant convince the wife to come camping with me.... with the shasta i could fit 3 adults a lil tight but 2 adults and 1 kid very comfortably.... at overland expo west it was just my brother and i and we could have easily fit 2 more adults between us in the Mt Rainer extended......
Mt Rainer extended summit series :

Mt Shasta

jdunk

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder II

First Name
Josh
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Thanks for everyones input!

I ended up getting the Mt. Shasta, Summit, Extended. It should be here sometime next week.

It seems that they have a new color for the Summit series. That's what I ordered. That neon green was just going to be too much for me!

Hopefully I'll have the new rack on the XK for the NW OB adventure. I don't see any reason why I won't be dragging it down to Off the Grid in September.

One of the bonuses that I realized, the Shasta will fit on top my little Cherokee. So I have more options!

I also ordered it with a second track so that I don't have to remove the cover to install the annex.

Now I just need to decide if I want it to hang over the driver, or passenger side.

This is a picture of the new color option for the Summit Series.

All Photos - 1 of 1.png

Last edited:

94YJBeaver

Rank II

Advocate II

View attachment 5437 Thanks for everyones input!

I ended up getting the Mt. Shasta, Summit, Extended. It should be here sometime next week.

It seems that they have a new color for the Summit series. That's what I ordered. That neon green was just going to be too much for me!

Hopefully I'll have the new rack on the XK for the NW OB adventure. I don't see any reason why I won't be dragging it down to Off the Grid in September.

One of the bonuses that I realized, the Shasta will fit on top my little Cherokee. So I have more options!

I also ordered it with a second track so that I don't have to remove the cover to install the annex.

Now I just need to decide if I want it to hang over the driver, or passenger side.

This is a picture of the new color option for the Summit Series.

View attachment 5438
The only reason why I didn't go with the summit series was because of the color...now I wish I would have held out of the new color!!

jdunk

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder II

First Name
Josh
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

The only reason why I didn't go with the summit series was because of the color...now I wish I would have held out of the new color!!
It was really close for me as well. In the end, I would have probably gotten the green.

These things hold their value... if yours is still in good shape, you might be able to recoup most of your cost and invest in a Summit.

Though, be careful. They only had 3 or 4 left when I ordered mine!

Reactions: 94YJBeaver

94YJBeaver

Rank II

Advocate II

It was really close for me as well. In the end, I would have probably gotten the green.

These things hold their value... if yours is still in good shape, you might be able to recoup most of your cost and invest in a Summit.

Though, be careful. They only had 3 or 4 left when I ordered mine!
We have used ours about a half dozen times this year so far and it it still in pristine shape...I might run in there next week and talk to them about it...I do like their new colors and I told Bobby the only reason why I didn't buy the summit was because of the color...can't stand neon green...lol

mmnorthdirections

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Dixon Ca
First Name
mason
Last Name
north
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6EUR
Are you going to be able to mount it on the Trailhawk also. Might fill up the roof. Congrats on the new RTT.....

mmnorthdirections

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Dixon Ca
First Name
mason
Last Name
north
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6EUR
I agree!!!! The Trailhawk's are so awesome! There drive train is the most advanced in 20yrs.... I want one.

Adventure Ready

Rank II

Advocate II

It's made in the region, they have a good reputation for quality, and they seem to be priced pretty well.
I'm not stuck on the brand. If there is a compelling argument for another, I'd get a different one.
I'm not going to buy until late June/July.

Sent from my iPhone using Overland Bound Talk
FWIW, CVT is not made in Oregon. That is just where their shop is. Their tents are all from China.

rmerron

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Scottsboro, Alabama, USA
First Name
Ralph
Last Name
Peters
Member #

I have a CVT Bat wing. Not bad better than most. I have an Eezi-Awn RTT. I can see a lot of difference in the quality of the canvas and sticking though. But not bad for occasional use. They are made in China, look at your instructions. I also see you have a Trail Hawk, I had a 2015 also a friend has a 2015. Both of our transmissions went out at 36k. Was great up until then. We both had them replaced. He still has his, I traded mine when after a month the transmission started making noise again. Hope yours does not have any issues, I will say I thought the 4 x4 system was awesome, clearance really the only issue.