Proving a budget build is capable

• HTML tutorial

Jordan_Brooks

Rank 0

Contributor I

I have a 1995 S-Series Blazer, 170xxx miles, runs great... Does need trans work, i will have it rebuilt before leaving.  Mods are as follows: MOOG Upper/Lower Ball Joints, MOOG Pitman, MOOG Idler, MOOG U-Joints all around and MOOG Tie Rods, 2in lift, 31x10.5 15 BF Goodrich AT's, Wagner Thermo-Quiet brakes, Rockford Fosgate speakers, running all Lucas oils...No engine mods and don't plan on any, i think stock is best for simplicity and finding replacement parts in a pinch.

Here is what i am strongly considering: I want to build it up a little more and then take a Overlanding trip through the Moab, mainly to prove that it can be done in a cheap/slightly modified vehicle.  I want people to realize that even cheaper vehicles that are mainly stock can still go out and explore.

What is your opinion on this?

Iubootgater

Rank III
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Greenwood IN
Member #

7270 said:
I have a 1995 S-Series Blazer, 170xxx miles, runs great… Does need trans work, i will have it rebuilt before leaving. Mods are as follows: MOOG Upper/Lower Ball Joints, MOOG Pitman, MOOG Idler, MOOG U-Joints all around and MOOG Tie Rods, 2in lift, 31×10.5 15 BF Goodrich AT’s, Wagner Thermo-Quiet brakes, Rockford Fosgate speakers, running all Lucas oils…No engine mods and don’t plan on any, i think stock is best for simplicity and finding replacement parts in a pinch. Here is what i am strongly considering: I want to build it up a little more and then take a Overlanding trip through the Moab, mainly to prove that it can be done in a cheap/slightly modified vehicle. I want people to realize that even cheaper vehicles that are mainly stock can still go out and explore. What is your opinion on this?
As someone who uses a basically stock Cherokee I am very interested in hearing more.

good luck!

Wolvee

ᕕ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ) ︻デ═一 pew pew
Staff member
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

Engine wise I would prepare by checking that there is good/even cylinder pressure.  If you haven't checked it yet, consider it PM.  Then reevaluate your plans after that.

Also, with the heat and cold you should really make sure your Radiator, hoses and heater core are up to the task.  I lived in the high desert for years and the smallest things can cause the biggest problems.

Good luck, I can't wait to see your adventures.

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Hello Jordan,

Good, as a Dutchie, Iam fond of budgets. (Dutch treat hahahaha)
Anyway, I am convinced that a budget project can be as good as a project with a endless budget. And If you can do things yourselve, it is even better. And more fun. And, very important, you know your Rig.
So, just keep us informed, I cant wait to see more pictures and stories.

Greetings from Robert

Jordan_Brooks

Rank 0

Contributor I

Thanks for the encouragement guys. I am thinking of going maybe next year, that way i have a year to fix any issues and also to make sure after i have the trans rebuilt there is no issues with it either, i think taking a trip on  a fresh rebuild is probably not a good idea just in case they missed something or didn't do it right.

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
7395 said:
Thanks for the encouragement guys. I am thinking of going maybe next year, that way i have a year to fix any issues and also to make sure after i have the trans rebuilt there is no issues with it either, i think taking a trip on a fresh rebuild is probably not a good idea just in case they missed something or didn’t do it right.
Hey @jordan_brooks , You've captured the spirit of Overland Bound. It doesn't matter what you drive, only that it supports you on your intended journey. I'm really interested in your adventure, and progress and hope you keep us informed.

Overlanding is simply: Vehicle dependent travel.

The important thing is to do it! Get out and explore!

Thanks for sharing. I'm looking forward to more!

M

Reactions: Luis Merlo

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Hello Jordan,

Like Michael said, dont wait untill the Rig is ready. It is never ready. There will alway be a thing to do, to change and upgrade.
So, jut go out, take shorter trips, go with friends, just go. Adapt your travel to your car. But go.
If not, you will find yourself finding excuses for not going as you think you are not ready. Well, be ready and do it with what you got. Then you will find what you need in the proces.

Greeting from Robert

Reactions: Luis Merlo
E

expeditionnorth

I agree use what you have now, test it out & then decide

sounds like you're addressing some front end issues, better safe than sorry

I had an 87 S10 Blazer that did exceptionally well, mostly stock also on 31's

though I always wanted more from the 2.8L, yours should have the 4.3L which is even better

Jordan_Brooks

Rank 0

Contributor I

Well, did some changes to the roof rack, new side facing LED lights for camping light, rear facing LED for backing up or camp lighting, LED light bar on the front of the rack (Holy crap its bright) and the biggest change is a HUGE roof rack....Old one was like 40"x 32" new one is 60" x 42.5"

SLO Rob

Rank VI
Staff member
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder III

San Luis Obispo, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Petterson
Member #

Looks very capable to me! @jordan My brother did Moab in a stock 2010 Tacoma and was fine but he said if he did it again, he'd need more height and armour. He doesn't rock crawl either, he just went to find very remote camp spots and views. Something to consider. Oh, and he used all the fuel he brought along too...

Jordan_Brooks

Rank 0

Contributor I

Height is where i will have issues, without doing a SAS (Solid axle swap) i can't go much higher without destroying ball joints and CV's.  It has skid plates underneath, i still want to fab up some rock sliders for my rockers (Got into a rock once already) and also a skid plate for my fuel tank.

Jordan_Brooks

Rank 0

Contributor I

<p>Just an update.....</p>
<p><br />I've got all new BF Goodrich MT KM2 tires (31-10.5 15) not on in the picture. G</p>
<p>Heres the list of upgrades:<br />LED light bar (Front facing)<br />Side facing LED lights<br />Rear facing LED lights<br />BF Goodrich MT KM2 tires<br />All new steering components (Ball joints, pitman, idler and tie rods)<br />Bigger roof rack<br />Serviced front and rear diff<br />Bedlined the rocker panels<br />CB installed and tuned<br />Firestik Antenna (With tunable tip and side mount)</p>
<p>I currently have a guy building me a swing out tire carrier for the back that will hold my spare, 2 jerry cans and a Hi-Lift jack.</p>
<p>></p>