West Caldwell, NJ, USA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Dougherty
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W2IRT
My 30-yo Coleman Stove is still chugging along, but until I can justify the cost of a JetBoil I'd like to convert this old girl to use 1# propane bottles. I find white gas to be a complete PITA, and often I just don't get much of a flame out of it, especially if the tank is less than half full. I've looked on Amazon and can't find anything listed. Are these still made/sold in the U.S.?

Reactions: Shahn

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

I duuno, 2 things though, if you are not getting proper flame something is plugged up or worn out. It takes pressure to get the right flame. The other thing is I took a propane stove (2 burner) and swapped it for the 2 burner in my Coleman white gas stove. How I did that is in my blog; white gas to propane cook stove conversion Pretty easy actually.

cug

Rank II

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Guido
Last Name
GNE
I used a Coleman white gas stove and it was a royal pain the rear. It’s clunky, unreliable flame, very bulky and even in the best of times flame control is soso.

I’d say, since some mostly decent propane stoves aren’t much more than a conversion, get one of them. Oh, and think about getting a 5lbs propane tank or so, the throw away bottles are polluting everything these days … sustainable is different.

huachuca

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

tarboro nc
First Name
Al
Last Name
Killebrew
Member #

My 30-yo Coleman Stove is still chugging along, but until I can justify the cost of a JetBoil I'd like to convert this old girl to use 1# propane bottles. I find white gas to be a complete PITA, and often I just don't get much of a flame out of it, especially if the tank is less than half full. I've looked on Amazon and can't find anything listed. Are these still made/sold in the U.S.?
Coleman liquid fuel to propane adapter if you really want to go that route. My 413E is from the late fifties / early sixties and still going strong. Really, there's not too much to fail in these things. Try a little machine oil on the leather cup in the pump. Replace the gasket in the cap if its hardened. Blow out the burner tubes with compressed air to clean up any insect parts / droppings. Remove center screw in each burner and clean the rings up with a wire wheel grinder (Be very sure to keep them in the same order and orientation in which they were removed). Replace the generator if its corroded and can't be restored with a bit of fine sand paper. For me, the hiss of a Coleman stove / lantern and the smell of naptha is a big part of the camping experience.

Last edited:

NJRadioGuy

Rank V

Influencer II

West Caldwell, NJ, USA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Dougherty
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W2IRT
I'm more about convenience and reliability, and naptha is neither convenient nor reliable. It (mostly) works but the PITA factor adds up after a few days on the road. I do love the lantern, but if that fails I have several Goal Zero USB-rechargeable LED lanterns that work well, and a string of party lights that I plug into the not-a-Jackery. When I bought the stove propane wasn't a thing for camping, and I really don't see the need to throw out a good stove if the fuel source can be changed out.

Regarding that link, I don't think that that's actually a naptha-to-propane adapter. It appears to be a replacement part for a propane version of the stove.

Last edited:

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

Radioguy, I think that is a correct link, check this video;

I might buy one and swap back my white gas burners , then if it's really cold I can use the white gas.

Reactions: Kajun Sparkle

NJRadioGuy

Rank V

Influencer II

West Caldwell, NJ, USA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Dougherty
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W2IRT
Yeah, that's the one. It's still showing as out of stock on stansport's website, though, and it's not on Amazon.

huachuca

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

tarboro nc
First Name
Al
Last Name
Killebrew
Member #

I'm more about convenience and reliability, and naptha is neither convenient nor reliable. It (mostly) works but the PITA factor adds up after a few days on the road. I do love the lantern, but if that fails I have several Goal Zero USB-rechargeable LED lanterns that work well, and a string of party lights that I plug into the not-a-Jackery. When I bought the stove propane wasn't a thing for camping, and I really don't see the need to throw out a good stove if the fuel source can be changed out.

Regarding that link, I don't think that that's actually a naptha-to-propane adapter. It appears to be a replacement part for a propane version of the stove.
Apologies for the misinformation - got in a hurry and copied the wrong link. The Stansport product is the one you want and it appears to be available from Sportsman’s Warehouse for $28 +/-.

Guess we’ll just have to disagree on the convenience and reliability of naphtha. We camp year round and have found propane to be problematic in colder temps and high altitude. Hope you’re able to come up with something that meets your needs.

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
I have the Stansport propane conversion on a freebie 425 I got with no tank. It seems to work well in the heat of Kansas and the cold, thin, mountain air of Colorado.

1632771376890.png

1632771439126.png

I purchased the converter tube in early 2018 from Amazon. It does seem like the supply has dwindled down! If you can find one, buy it. I don't think you will be disappointed in the performance.

Reactions: Sierrahotel83

NJRadioGuy

Rank V

Influencer II

West Caldwell, NJ, USA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Dougherty
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W2IRT
Thanks!! That's exactly what I'm after. I gotta wonder why it's not in production anymore; seems like an excellent product.

Sierrahotel83

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lexington, Kentucky
First Name
Pete
Last Name
Shrock
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4HVZ
I know this is an older thread but doing some reading up on older stuff and while I was searching this I see that Mr. Heater now offers a adapter tube as well for Coleman White Gas stoves to use propane now and Cabelas has them.

Sierrahotel83

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lexington, Kentucky
First Name
Pete
Last Name
Shrock
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4HVZ
If you do make sure to pass it on to someone who might enjoy rebuilding it, but I understand wanting something that is easier or rather more "user friendly"

I fall into the camp of there is just something fun about using the old white gas stoves and lanterns, granted I am not opposed to using the propane adapter myself to add fuel options

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

Good to know! I think I'm about to retire my 425 and get a dual JetBoil before my first big trip of 2023. Size and convenience, etc.
If fuel is the issue, they run just fine on pump gas. BUT, the main burner needs to be run hot. I use an old Coleman 425 for processing scrap lead into fishing weights and rarely waste white gas on it. If size is the issue, I don’t think they are worth converting. The regular Coleman two burner designed for propane is almost half the size and runs better than a converted 425. I don’t have a jet boil so I can’t comment or compare.

I went the other direction, I got tired of packing propane. The 20# is too big and bulky unless I’m bringing the grill for a group, the smaller one always seemed to be empty and I’m not a fan of disposable bottles that’ll choke up if you push them too hard. I switched my single propane and occasional use two burner Coleman to the MSR international gasoline burner and a small alcohol stove. The MSR boils water faster than my Coleman propane, and can do it in humid coastal wind. I’ve also used it down to freezing temps and it worked better than my propane. The alcohol stove is my low burner and rarely gets used. Handy to have since it is small and no moving parts but it is more fuel and temp sensitive.

NJRadioGuy

Rank V

Influencer II

West Caldwell, NJ, USA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Dougherty
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W2IRT
Size is definitely the issue for sure, and the fact my 425 is just a PITA to use. I like "set it and forget it". I will get a JetBoil butane for heating water, but for cooking the big double JB Propane is better as a stove. The 425 is a classic but if I'm going out for more than 2 or 3 nights it's just a hassle I don't want. I agree with you about the 1# bottles being cumbersome, though. I might get a 5# cylinder with the appropriate adapter.

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

I run an 11 lb tank with a 12' hose that will feed the stove, shower, Mr. Heater, etc. I've always had better heat control with white gas than propane, but use one now to simplify things. I've had a lot of Coleman stuff over the years though, and generally know how to correct any of their issues. The most common issue is a bad fuel cap gasket, followed by dry or stiff pump leather. That will cause the tank not to be able to hold or build pressure correctly. If it's not that, then it's usually bugs in the burners or a clogged fuel tip.