Launch Member

Traveler I

Papillion NE
First Name
Jake
Last Name
Tierney
Member #

Hey guys, I drove out to Denver this weekend and picked up a 3rd gen 4Runner to build as a daily, but also a weekend warrior. I still need to do some tune ups over this coming week, but overall she is rust free and bone stock with 203,900 and still running strong! I am thinking of doing a double drawer system that is also a platform for sleeping. Any suggestions of what to upgrade first or change?
Thanks guys and safe travels!

Reactions: SLO Rob and Jimmy P

khorsa

Rank III

Advocate II

michigan
What type of trails are you looking at on the weekends? Just dirt roads and camping or something that you are going to need tires and maybe a small lift for?

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

You can usually just upgrade the tires on those to something like bfg ko2s in whatever the biggest size they fit stock without rubbing(there’s a lot of info on that) as a great start as a mild lift won’t typically get any more tire size anyway and then figure out what kind of lift you want. Old man emu is a good way to add enough lift and weight carrying ability without breaking the bank. Depends on the direction you plan on going though. As a daily driver, I went with a hidden winch that has worked out well without adding tons of weight. The 4Runner is very capable stock, so after adding a lift that holds the weight off camping gear. A roof cargo rack would be handy if you’re planning on sleeping in the rig, there’s all the usual stuff like front runner etc, but there’s some decent deals to be found on amazon that will do the job. I have been very impressed with the edgestar 43qt fridge. It’s reasonably priced, and even cheaper on open box direct if you can get a scratch and dent fridge like I did. A fridge on a second deep cycle battery will change your camping life. A dual battery is the best way to go with a fridge and is also a good idea if you’ll be adding a winch eventually anyway. There is tons of info out there on home built dual battery systems that are substantially cheaper and work great. If you’re planning on doing any real off roading. I’d lose the running boards before the trails take care of them for you myself. Some solid sliders would be a great upgrade. Looks like you got a great platform to start with, just throwing out some ideas of the things I would do with it...

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Last edited:
Reactions: Venture out

Venture out

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Papillion NE
First Name
Jake
Last Name
Tierney
Member #

What type of trails are you looking at on the weekends? Just dirt roads and camping or something that you are going to need tires and maybe a small lift for?
I am thinking I am going to need a small lift and some bfg ko2 tires. Looking at some mild off-roading to get to a nice over view of some landscape to camp on the top of a mountain or something along that lines.

Reactions: khorsa

Venture out

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Papillion NE
First Name
Jake
Last Name
Tierney
Member #

You can usually just upgrade the tires on those to something like bfg ko2s in whatever the biggest size they fit stock without rubbing(there’s a lot of info on that) as a great start as a mild lift won’t typically get any more tire size anyway and then figure out what kind of lift you want. Old man emu is a good way to add enough lift and weight carrying ability without breaking the bank. Depends on the direction you plan on going though. As a daily driver, I went with a hidden winch that has worked out well without adding tons of weight. The 4Runner is very capable stock, so after adding a lift that holds the weight off camping gear. A roof cargo rack would be handy if you’re planning on sleeping in the rig, there’s all the usual stuff like front runner etc, but there’s some decent deals to be found on amazon that will do the job. I have been very impressed with the edgestar 43qt fridge. It’s reasonably priced, and even cheaper on open box direct if you can get a scratch and dent fridge like I did. A fridge on a second deep cycle battery will change your camping life. A dual battery is the best way to go with a fridge and is also a good idea if you’ll be adding a winch eventually anyway. There is tons of info out there on home built dual battery systems that are substantially cheaper and work great. If you’re planning on doing any real off roading. I’d lose the running boards before the trails take care of them for you myself. Some solid sliders would be a great upgrade. Looks like you got a great platform to start with, just throwing out some ideas of the things I would do with it...

I was defiantly thinking of doing a fridge. As for the lift, old man emu sounds perfect just a little budget boost and get some clearance. Some nice tires and a cargo rack is on the list as well. Care to explain the hidden winch?

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

I have the us off-road hidden winch mount on my Tacoma. The owner was very cool on the phone, got it on time and was cheaper and lighter than a bumper. I like the low profile incognito look too. I don’t know if they offer one for your rig or not. 4Runners are so capable stock, you don’t need much other than beefing up the suspension for the Weight for mild wheeling which is nice.

Venture out

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Papillion NE
First Name
Jake
Last Name
Tierney
Member #

I have the us off-road hidden winch mount on my Tacoma. The owner was very cool on the phone, got it on time and was cheaper and lighter than a bumper. I like the low profile incognito look too. I don’t know if they offer one for your rig or not. 4Runners are so capable stock, you don’t need much other than beefing up the suspension for the Weight for mild wheeling which is nice.

Very sweet setup! I am going to look into that for my rig. I bought the 4Runner because I knew it could handle what I want to do with it. This rig is going to be my 1st vehicle that I actually put my OB badge on and call it "base camp". Just needs a lift, tires and a winch. Think I am going with the old man emu lift 2inch and take off the stock side steps.

Reactions: khorsa

Swaffybuilt

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Monroe Ohio
Member #

340F3A24-AFB6-4127-AD6A-1E059A0E9D6E.jpeg
Hey guys, I drove out to Denver this weekend and picked up a 3rd gen 4Runner to build as a daily, but also a weekend warrior. I still need to do some tune ups over this coming week, but overall she is rust free and bone stock with 203,900 and still running strong! I am thinking of doing a double drawer system that is also a platform for sleeping. Any suggestions of what to upgrade first or change?
Thanks guys and safe travels!

Sleeping platform in my 01 Runner is freshly built. If you have any questions feel free to ask. Just got it complete today

Venture out

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Papillion NE
First Name
Jake
Last Name
Tierney
Member #

View attachment 38616
Sleeping platform in my 01 Runner is freshly built. If you have any questions feel free to ask. Just got it complete today
Awesome! I see you built it high enough to be above the driver side (awkward) wheel well. What are you using for supports for the two side compartments and the platform over the rear seats? Does the leg supports fold away or detach? Thanks for posting this up!

Swaffybuilt

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Monroe Ohio
Member #

Awesome! I see you built it high enough to be above the driver side (awkward) wheel well. What are you using for supports for the two side compartments and the platform over the rear seats? Does the leg supports fold away or detach? Thanks for posting this up!
The plan is to attach “wings” that are hinged on the side of the box Basically a 90 degree triangle and folds flat. I will unfold which will act like a shelf support and the top wing will just rest on it

Venture out

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Papillion NE
First Name
Jake
Last Name
Tierney
Member #

View attachment 38642 View attachment 38643 And this is the other side. Used a scrap piece that matches the highest wheel well area
Starting to layout how I want my rear box. Can you open your side panels (over wheel wells) when you have the extended platform (over the rear seats section) folded back? Doesn't look like you would be able to from your pictures.