Princess the 97 XJ...

• HTML tutorial

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

Looks good man.. I wasn't lied to per say on my XJ, but wasn't told the extent of the issues. Ended up having to rebuild both front and rear axles, power steering pump, steering box, complete new suspension and steering all around, all new brakes...and about 100000 other things lol. It never ends. I just bought it 10 months ago and have already put $4k into it, maybe more. But, it is now ALMOST how i want it and makes me happy.

Reactions: Greg Galbo

Greg Galbo

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

York, PA, USA
First Name
Gregory
Last Name
Galbo
Member #

Looks good man.. I wasn't lied to per say on my XJ, but wasn't told the extent of the issues. Ended up having to rebuild both front and rear axles, power steering pump, steering box, complete new suspension and steering all around, all new brakes...and about 100000 other things lol. It never ends. I just bought it 10 months ago and have already put $4k into it, maybe more. But, it is now ALMOST how i want it and makes me happy.
I haven't put that much into mine yet... I'm sure I will. But the rust is what's killing me. That was half of it now I have to get the rockers done. They aren't bad yet but I want to do them before they get too bad. I also completely undercoated every inch of the bottom when I had the gas tank removed. So the floor is very solid. But mechanically, she runs perfect. I am planning on doing a head gasket over the summer as a precaution.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

I haven't put that much into mine yet... I'm sure I will. But the rust is what's killing me. That was half of it now I have to get the rockers done. They aren't bad yet but I want to do them before they get too bad. I also completely undercoated every inch of the bottom when I had the gas tank removed. So the floor is very solid. But mechanically, she runs perfect. I am planning on doing a head gasket over the summer as a precaution.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Yeah, I undercoated mine too. That is a HUGE problem with XJ's is floor pan rust.

Greg Galbo

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

York, PA, USA
First Name
Gregory
Last Name
Galbo
Member #

While I was prepping for winter by undercoating the entire under body, I decided to copy JCR's "Real Hawk" and paint my bumper brackets!
IMG_2683.JPG

Reactions: Aaron Mills

Greg Galbo

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

York, PA, USA
First Name
Gregory
Last Name
Galbo
Member #

A few months back my brother, me and a friend took a three day trip into the Allegheny National Forest. Although the trip was short, and we had to send a rig home on a flat bed it was a great trip. Here is a picture from our first nights camp site.
IMG_2536.JPG

Aaron Mills

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor III

Hermitage, Pa
Member #

A few months back my brother, me and a friend took a three day trip into the Allegheny National Forest. Although the trip was short, and we had to send a rig home on a flat bed it was a great trip. Here is a picture from our first nights camp site.
View attachment 13430
Yea buddy there's the yota!

Sent from my SM-G930V using OB Talk mobile app

Greg Galbo

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

York, PA, USA
First Name
Gregory
Last Name
Galbo
Member #

So now is good time to take a minute to discuss when a trip throws you a curve ball. In all of the overlanding forums and videos you always hear how to "expect the unexpected". Well that finally happened to me on our recent trip the explore the ghost town of Centralia, PA. That squeaky power steering pump I've been hearing for a few weeks decided to bear its ugly fruit 58 miles from home (on about a 1,000 mile road trip) on the turnpike. What seemed like an explosion to me, was actually the pulley bearing on the power steering pump blowing out the front of the housing causing all of the fluid and metal shavings to completely cover my engine bay and exhaust....which leads to fire. Luckily I covered my manifold in titanium heat wrap which I believe, saved it from igniting although it did pour smoke out from under the hood. With no power steering and fear of my pulley falling out I had to do the unthinkable and get a tow the rest of the way home... Safe to say I learned my lesson. You cant ignore strange noises and sounds your rig makes. That $150 repair i should have done before I left turned into a lot more than that because I didn't feel like putting more money or time into it when I first heard the squeak. So from now on I will be much more proactive about maintenance. Which being a daily driven 20 year old rig, is about all I do. More pics and explanation to come.

Reactions: Aaron Mills

Greg Galbo

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

York, PA, USA
First Name
Gregory
Last Name
Galbo
Member #

Ill start off by posting a picture of my rig on the graffiti highway when all was well haha
16142179_1364131103658987_4071281187241724809_n.jpg