• HTML tutorial

Enthusiast III

Germantown, WI, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Owens
Member #

At least put down my $1000. I’m thoroughly intrigued by this critter. Price list and options aren’t out yet, so that’ll likely be the determining factor. $69K to start, and probably close to $90K to get somewhere (range options). That’s tough to swallow. But then again, any new truck with any options is going to exceed US$60K these days. So I like to think I’m not buying gas anymore [emoji41].

Should be fun to see how this rig shakes out. If nothing else, I get my deposit back and buy a nice new something-or-other-dinosaur-juice-burning thingamajig.

Last edited:

bmwguru

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Indianapolis, IN, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Pickrell
Member #

At least put down my $1000. I’m thoroughly intrigued by this critter. Price list and options aren’t out yet, so that’ll likely be the determining factor. $69K to start, and probe lose to $90K to get somewhere (range options). That’s tough to swallow. But then again, any new truck with any options is going to exceed US$60K these days. So I like to think I’m not buying gas anymore [emoji41].

Should be fun to see how this rig shakes out. If nothing else, I get my deposit back and buy a nice new something-or-other-dinosaur-juice-burning thingamajig.
I've got my popcorn ready and waiting...This is a very interesting vehicle. Keep us posted.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I'm interested how these end up also.
My question is though, If you have a problem with say, the seat stitching or the radio, something minor, where do you get it repaired?

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

Very interesting, I really hope that this company is around for the long haul. I would like to see that happen. I remember too many upstart car companies over the years fail and disappear. I really hope this one lasts.
It seems to have good specs and a usable range. The one limit I see is multi day trips. If you are out more than a few days, you need to find a charger. My recent trip I did about 150 miles all off road in 2 days. If I were gone longer I would hit the 400 mile range and be stuck.
From the web page it does look like they are after the off road/OB community.

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

Interesting thing for sure, I wish they would do something different with the front. Kind of looks like they just ran out of ideas and just said, "eh leave it like that."

One concern I would have with any offroad intents is the ability to moderate torque and put it to the ground. Electric drive motors seem to be a pretty much all or nothing proposition, and wheel spin is not (always) your friend.

desl

Rank 0

Off-Road Ranger I

Berkeley, CA, USA
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Lennon
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6VNY
Our other car is a Nissan Leaf and a 400 mile electric truck would definitely meet our needs. With young kids we're doing venture as far as some, so it might be an easier life. It would definitely be a win from the standpoint of time spent around town and on freeways.

One thing to keep in mind is that economy in our electric car doesn't work like a gasoline car. In the electric car, if you want to go farther on the battery, get off the freeway and go more slowly on surface streets. Drag is the biggest energy consumer. I wonder what that would translate to for overloading in off-road conditions.. Would the miles be easier on the battery because they're slow, or harder because of terrain. Maybe it would cancel out.

I'd been following the Rivian for a while, but hadn't realized they were positioning it for overloading. Looking at the picture on their home page riven.com they're going straight for it.

Reactions: Chris In Milwaukee

DosTacos

Rank VI

Influencer I

Pflugerville, TX, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
West
Member #

Were you one of the lucky ones to get a truck/suv yet?
I got mine about 6 mos ago and love it. I live in TX so range is a concern. Thankfully, with 300 miles, I haven't found a limitation yet. For reference, with my'97 Tacoma I get 16mpg which gives me ~250 miles of range. I carry an extra jerry can to get an extra 75-80 miles so an EV that costs <$10 to fill up and gets >250miles off road is a dream.
So far I've done Colorado, PINS, several state parks, and planning a trip to Big Bend soon. Also done quite a bit of wheeling offroad. The 15" of clearance and 900+ft lbs of torque are nice.
wave.jpg

Reactions: HighVoltOverland

Builder III

Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Augustine
Last Name
Wheelister
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRVW409
Service Branch
Army
Were you one of the lucky ones to get a truck/suv yet?
I got mine about 6 mos ago and love it. I live in TX so range is a concern. Thankfully, with 300 miles, I haven't found a limitation yet. For reference, with my'97 Tacoma I get 16mpg which gives me ~250 miles of range. I carry an extra jerry can to get an extra 75-80 miles so an EV that costs <$10 to fill up and gets >250miles off road is a dream.
So far I've done Colorado, PINS, several state parks, and planning a trip to Big Bend soon. Also done quite a bit of wheeling offroad. The 15" of clearance and 900+ft lbs of torque are nice.
View attachment 248944
Solid.
I still work for a living and really only have the time to camp one weekend a month
I’m absolutely loving the capabilities of the truck as well as some secondary things I take for granted like room I have in the Rivian to pack everything

My only gripes at this point are the desire for a winch mount and a full size spare (mine was removed from my order for delivery)

Reactions: DosTacos