Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Brownsville, Texas
First Name
Javier
Last Name
Escobedo
Member #

How does everyone power their equipment? Generator, solar, auxiliary battery?
I am getting started in this hobby and I'm interested to see how people power up.
Looks kind of complicated and expensive to have shore power, solar power, etc.
All I have for now is a fridge/freezer and Ill probably want to add some LED camp lights.

give me some ideas please.

Expensive? yes or no.

Thanks

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Solar for fridge.
Generator for AC.

If I'm lucky, I'll leave both at home and have no power for the entire trip.

tdyer55

Rank 0

Contributor I

US
First Name
Troy
Last Name
Dyer
That is a awesome idea. I never thought of putting a aux power points on the outside of the riq.

justjames

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Member #

I’ll be following this too but don’t want to hi-jack your thread. Currently have an aux Group 31 battery in a Natl. Luna box which goes into the tent at night to power my CPAP machine. I’m getting old and it’s getting heavy so I’ve been watching/researching LifePo4 batteries since they are much lighter and can be drawn down to 0-10% without damage. They also lighten the wallet. Anyone here have experience with these?

Reactions: Wallygator

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
You could get a solar suit case and connect it to an aux. battery. My solar is a rigid panel on my roof rack, connected to the Charge Controller that the kit came with, then attached to an aux. battery and 1000W pure sine wave converter. I power my lights, fridge, and kid's tablets and stuff. What kind of rig do you have?

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

@Rchr - There are numerous and extensive threads here on OB already on powering your adventure rig. You can do a simple search for 'solar power' and come up with a ton of links all here on OB.

In my opinion, the best way to power yourself is to be flexible and use shore power when it's available, solar when you have sun feeding a deep cycle or two, and generator when you don't have sun for a long time.

Doesn't cost you anything to set up for shore power, just bring an extension cord from home and maybe a power strip, then plug in your fridge/freezer or whatever else. Problem is you don't find shore power most places, especially if hitting back country trails.

For the rest, here's a long post I wrote explaining a bunch about getting set up with solar, with a ton of links to various products currently popular: Solar Power 101 Advice. There's a bunch of other good info in that thread, too.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1Louder

Scoutrover13

Rank I

Contributor III

Thomasville, NC, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Parker
I was mainly referring to Wahooweds' reference of the inverter and deep cell battery from wally world for an inexpensive start and less complicated. I'm in a 2006 Land Rover LR3 and those things are pre-Madonnas when it comes to power. If there is a draw it does not like it will freak out. But I will look into that link you posted. I'm looking to run a fridge eventually.

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
I went many years without extra power, typically relying on ice in a cooler and white gas for a lantern when out and about. I'd suggest getting out to local spots for a few nights to see what you really need (or want if you are honest with yourself) to camp comfortably.

Just recently I added a fridge and an auxiliary battery from Advance Auto to power that fridge. I've also added a few LED camp lights and USB ports that are powered by the auxiliary battery. I choose to charge the auxiliary battery with the vehicles alternator since I drive it everyday, so solar and/or shore power were unneeded. A solar charge controller would be easy to add to my setup if I wanted to without redoing my work.

My set up is outlined in the thread below:

Last edited:
Reactions: 64Trvlr and Road

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I was mainly referring to Wahooweds' reference of the inverter and deep cell battery from wally world for an inexpensive start and less complicated. I'm in a 2006 Land Rover LR3 and those things are pre-Madonnas when it comes to power. If there is a draw it does not like it will freak out. But I will look into that link you posted. I'm looking to run a fridge eventually.
Not sure who you're replying to, @Scoutrover13, but I was responding to the original poster request for info.

If aiming your reply towards someone individually on a thread with replies from several people, you can hit the Reply button in the lower right, then it will Quote the person you want. Or you can simply add their @ name.

Scoutrover13

Rank I

Contributor III

Thomasville, NC, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Parker
I’ve been doing this for the better part of 15 years too. I’m not really a layman at the wheeling/overland. More to solar and electricity. LoL I’ve also been using fire and ice. It now I’m in a bigger rig, past was all wrangler, and looking to upgrade to some more creature comforts so I can encourage my wife and kiddos a bit more to tag along. Before I know it they will be to old for dad! :confused:

Scoutrover13

Rank I

Contributor III

Thomasville, NC, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Parker
Not sure who you're replying to, @Scoutrover13, but I was responding to the original poster request for info.

If aiming your reply towards someone individually on a thread with replies from several people, you can hit the Reply button in the lower right, then it will Quote the person you want. Or you can simply add their @ name.
Ha. Funny about that. I actually did both but sorry for the confusion. I was not trying to high jack the tread.

Reactions: Road

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Ha. Funny about that. I actually did both but sorry for the confusion. I was not trying to high jack the tread.
Oh, I think just about every thread in here has been down a bunny trail or two to the side . . . some get back on track, some just wander further.

Just didn't want you to think I was aiming my reply to your request for clarification from wahoowad.

Reactions: Scoutrover13

wahoowad

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Virginia, USA
First Name
Wilbur
Last Name
McGee
@Scoutrover13 - sorry, did not see your question to me. Feel free to PM if you have more questions.

This is my poor man’s power supply. I use this deep cycle battery in my boat so am already set up with a nice charger. This inverter clips to the battery and provides 2 power outlets as well as a USB port to charge or operate USB devices. The inverter shown is a 750 watt unit but mine is smaller, like 300 watts but powers the few items I ever take (primarily the pump on our air mattress). I also use this setup to power my electric yardwork tools - easier (for me) to move this around in my yard wagon than unwind and rewind that 100 yard extension cord that I hate.

There are plenty of different brands of batteries and some have more capacity than others. If you google them it’s basically like debating religion where everybody has strong opinions on which brand batteries are good and bad. These Walmart ones are just fine. Like any deep cycle battery they all last longer when you CONSISTENTLY put them on the charger when you return from a trip. In a pinch you can also use a regular car battery if you have an extra one sitting around, just only use it for short times like running an air pump for a few minutes. A deep cycle is better though as it is intended to be run a long time and discharged lower than a regular car battery should go. Same for the inverter in that there are many, many different brands. If it was me I’d just get the $30 Walmart one and take it back if it dies.

The battery is heavy but you are bringing a lot of juice. You can get lithium ion deep cycle batteries to save some weight but they are 2 to 3 times the cost. To some folks it is worth it. Some google searches about deep cycle inverter box will find you lots of DIY builds where they do similar and even fancy stuff.

Attachments

Rank II

Enthusiast III

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Z
Last Name
Varela
In seeing your post on the Battery/inverter thread, I was just wondering if you still carry your spare under your rig or do you have a tire carrier on the rear? Pic would be nice....

Scoutrover13

Rank I

Contributor III

Thomasville, NC, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Parker
@Scoutrover13 - sorry, did not see your question to me. Feel free to PM if you have more questions.

This is my poor man’s power supply. I use this deep cycle battery in my boat so am already set up with a nice charger. This inverter clips to the battery and provides 2 power outlets as well as a USB port to charge or operate USB devices. The inverter shown is a 750 watt unit but mine is smaller, like 300 watts but powers the few items I ever take (primarily the pump on our air mattress). I also use this setup to power my electric yardwork tools - easier (for me) to move this around in my yard wagon than unwind and rewind that 100 yard extension cord that I hate.

There are plenty of different brands of batteries and some have more capacity than others. If you google them it’s basically like debating religion where everybody has strong opinions on which brand batteries are good and bad. These Walmart ones are just fine. Like any deep cycle battery they all last longer when you CONSISTENTLY put them on the charger when you return from a trip. In a pinch you can also use a regular car battery if you have an extra one sitting around, just only use it for short times like running an air pump for a few minutes. A deep cycle is better though as it is intended to be run a long time and discharged lower than a regular car battery should go. Same for the inverter in that there are many, many different brands. If it was me I’d just get the $30 Walmart one and take it back if it dies.

The battery is heavy but you are bringing a lot of juice. You can get lithium ion deep cycle batteries to save some weight but they are 2 to 3 times the cost. To some folks it is worth it. Some google searches about deep cycle inverter box will find you lots of DIY builds where they do similar and even fancy stuff.
Its all good man. No worries. I though that was what you were referring to but i kinda read it a bit different. So you just use it like this then throw it on a batt charger to charge it up, will a 12v outlet charge one while you are driving in between camp sites for example?
I will eventually have a dual battery set up and hard line pure sine inverter but I may try this as a starting point. Would a set up like this run a fridge overnight in my rig?
Thanks