• HTML tutorial

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@will_beck2143

Awesome build. I'm considering building out my '97 std cab, good to see another std cab build that is so well done.
Mind if I ask what do you gain from the Rear shock upgrade? Lose anything from it?

Boort

Reactions: will_beck2143

will_beck2143

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Huntington Beach
Member #

@will_beck2143

Awesome build. I'm considering building out my '97 std cab, good to see another std cab build that is so well done.
Mind if I ask what do you gain from the Rear shock upgrade? Lose anything from it?

Boort
Gain loads of travel over the factory equipment. Gain a lot more control over the suspension. I can handle more weight on rougher roads for much longer periods of time without them fading.

I can also bomb the huge dips around town at 50mph and not even feel them. The truck rides on a cloud on and off road.

I lost a little articulation by going outside the frame, but I feel the tradeoff was worth it. Also, since the shocks are user serviceable, they have an essentially unlimited lifespan

OB # 2143

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
I love the all manual setup much better than the auto hubs, trans. and electric windows. Nothing to go wrong with your setup. That is one of Toyota's last you forever engines, too. Great build. Did the ashtray come with a light in it? Being basic model maybe not ,but that is where I tied my lights into for the ability to dim the dash lights. A lock right locker in the rear and this will be almost unstoppable off road. I had great success with my lock rights in both my '97 Tacoma and my '85 4Runner in both front and rear axles.

Reactions: will_beck2143

will_beck2143

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Huntington Beach
Member #

I love the all manual setup much better than the auto hubs, trans. and electric windows. Nothing to go wrong with your setup. That is one of Toyota's last you forever engines, too. Great build. Did the ashtray come with a light in it? Being basic model maybe not ,but that is where I tied my lights into for the ability to dim the dash lights. A lock right locker in the rear and this will be almost unstoppable off road. I had great success with my lock rights in both my '97 Tacoma and my '85 4Runner in both front and rear axles.
No light in thrash tray. Ash tray is long gone now, my radio lives in its place.

I'll look into a lock right. Current plan is to swap in a Toyota e-locker axle, housing and third all at once and maybe convert to cable actuated down the road.

OB # 2143

Reactions: hopdup

Nick74

Rank III

Advocate II

That is a fkn tidy rig man. Love it. Any plans or bumper replacement and/or rock sliders?
If I recal correctly those 3RZs take well to a turbo.................. just sayin

will_beck2143

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Huntington Beach
Member #

That is a fkn tidy rig man. Love it. Any plans or bumper replacement and/or rock sliders?
If I recal correctly those 3RZs take well to a turbo.................. just sayin
Thanks man!

It'll get bumpers eventually. Prerunner tube style in the rear, and a hybrid in the front. They just haven't been high on the priority list.

I'll do rock sliders eventually, but with my shirt wheel base and high ground clearance, I haven't needed them.

I've heard the same. Supercharging it is on the list, but at the very bottom. My truck is much faster in the dirt than on the highway haha

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Nick74