Post your "poop my pants" moments

• HTML tutorial

Chompsticks

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Alabama
Member #

Do you have evidence of your "Oh F**k!* moments?

First one ever was in my QX4... Young and naive, but never off-road 2wd on street tires... LOL

Second time was recently in my Suzuki X-90. Learning from mistakes, but I test all crossings now... haha Thankfully the car still ran and I made it out of the park after getting pulled out by a hummer, only for the alternator to die while I was on the highway. I miss that little thing, but it did not make a good overland rig. I did clean it up well though!

Anyways! Post your oh shit moments!

MVC-001F.JPG
IMG_E2196.JPG IMG_2197 (2).JPG IMG_2206.JPG IMG_2209.JPG

Attachments

26industries

Rank 0

Contributor I

Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures but about 10 years ago during winter I had YJ wrangler that I had swapped an small block 350 into. I was out one day playing in the snow and mud, eventually I wound up snapping my front driveshaft. No big deal, I think to myself, hit the road and head home. As I'm driving I come up to a bend in the road as I'm approaching I see where a vehicle has slid off the road around the corner so I gently apply the brakes. At that exact moment in time all hell broke loose! I had hit ice and the Jeep spun around 270 degrees and then slowly began sliding backwards off the road down a fairly steep hill. I hammered the skinny pedal only resulting in lots of noise and finally came to a step with my front tires just off the road and nothing but a barbed wire fence holding me in place to keep me from sliding all the way off the road. Definitely about "pooped my pants" on that one.

Plasmajab

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Quinte West, Ontario, Canada
First Name
Ian
Last Name
Howard
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA3IRA
No pics of course, but my first good one was kind of an after the fact.

I was winter bombing around a trail I thought I knew. Front left got into a deep, deep, deep hole and she went down, tail lifted then gently over onto it's side.

Of course I was alone and tipped over onto my side in the winter, so it was a *blink* blink * wth? The poop pants part was when I realized that I was 10km into the bush.

So I grabbed the cargo straps and got onto some trees and "winched" it back onto it's feet and of course as soon as it did, it started rolling down the hill! Some dummy (me) forgot to put it in park and the handbrake on!

Thankfully the strap got a hold of it and stopped it but that was a he'll of a panic moment. Pucker level 10.

About a year later I was learning how to drive a tractor trailer. We were in bc, heading down the coquihala, mountains known for bad weather, chains, and trucks meeting their maker.

As we headed down the front of the tractor got light. The trailer was pushing me down the hill. Super bad on ice! I was now looking out the windshield at the guard rail and completely loosing my min when my instructor calmly looked over, pulled the trailer brakes on and shoved my right leg down to give it fuel while yelling at me to steer left.

Then by magic, the tractor straightened out and we went down the hill just fine. At the bottom I went to the pub and straight into the washroom. For obvious reasons.

Chompsticks

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Alabama
Member #

Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures but about 10 years ago during winter I had YJ wrangler that I had swapped an small block 350 into. I was out one day playing in the snow and mud, eventually I wound up snapping my front driveshaft. No big deal, I think to myself, hit the road and head home. As I'm driving I come up to a bend in the road as I'm approaching I see where a vehicle has slid off the road around the corner so I gently apply the brakes. At that exact moment in time all hell broke loose! I had hit ice and the Jeep spun around 270 degrees and then slowly began sliding backwards off the road down a fairly steep hill. I hammered the skinny pedal only resulting in lots of noise and finally came to a step with my front tires just off the road and nothing but a barbed wire fence holding me in place to keep me from sliding all the way off the road. Definitely about "pooped my pants" on that one.
YIkes! So you were driving around in FWD?

Chompsticks

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Alabama
Member #

No pics of course, but my first good one was kind of an after the fact.

I was winter bombing around a trail I thought I knew. Front left got into a deep, deep, deep hole and she went down, tail lifted then gently over onto it's side.

Of course I was alone and tipped over onto my side in the winter, so it was a *blink* blink * wth? The poop pants part was when I realized that I was 10km into the bush.

So I grabbed the cargo straps and got onto some trees and "winched" it back onto it's feet and of course as soon as it did, it started rolling down the hill! Some dummy (me) forgot to put it in park and the handbrake on!

Thankfully the strap got a hold of it and stopped it but that was a he'll of a panic moment. Pucker level 10.

About a year later I was learning how to drive a tractor trailer. We were in bc, heading down the coquihala, mountains known for bad weather, chains, and trucks meeting their maker.

As we headed down the front of the tractor got light. The trailer was pushing me down the hill. Super bad on ice! I was now looking out the windshield at the guard rail and completely loosing my min when my instructor calmly looked over, pulled the trailer brakes on and shoved my right leg down to give it fuel while yelling at me to steer left.

Then by magic, the tractor straightened out and we went down the hill just fine. At the bottom I went to the pub and straight into the washroom. For obvious reasons.

I don't think I could ever drive a tractor trailer. I would probably just hit everything... hahah

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
No pictures,
About 35-40 years ago my wife and I were on a trip headed north through central OR heading for northern ID, it was the middle of the night and temp was below freezing.
This was back when it was still ok to be in the back of a pickup, I was trying to sleep because we needed to be on the trial the next morning so my wife was driving. Some background we both had experience with winter travel both snow and black ice but it is easy to get complacent on a very straight highway. Now this is way before GPS or on demand 4 wheel drive (we had locking hubs). So when she came to an intersection one way to Eugene and the other John Day that little bit of hesitation or wheel movement caused the PU to spin on the ice. I drove the rest of the way. ;-)

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Belle Plaine, Kansas, 67013
Member #

No pictures,
About 35-40 years ago my wife and I were on a trip headed north through central OR heading for northern ID, it was the middle of the night and temp was below freezing.
This was back when it was still ok to be in the back of a pickup, I was trying to sleep because we needed to be on the trial the next morning so my wife was driving. Some background we both had experience with winter travel both snow and black ice but it is easy to get complacent on a very straight highway. Now this is way before GPS or on demand 4 wheel drive (we had locking hubs). So when she came to an intersection one way to Eugene and the other John Day that little bit of hesitation or wheel movement caused the PU to spin on the ice. I drove the rest of the way. ;-)
Had the same similar experience. We were in a new Maxima though, I was driving and it was morning rush hour traffic on the turnpike. Regained control from the first spin on a patch of black ice; we spun 360° more than once and witnesses said they were surprised I was able to gain control. However, the inertia going straight caused just enough of a backend sway that the rear passenger quarter panel made contact with the guardrail of the overpass.

Witnesses said that that contact caused the car to spin again and the front made contact with the guardrail. This caused the car to be flipped up into the air (over 20' - it went over a 20' tall sign) and fell, upside down, into the ditch about 30 feet below the road grade.

All SWMBO and I remembered was a big blur and an impact. I was able to disconnect my seatbelt, but the wife's wouldn't let go. I had to crawl under her and lift her up with my back while reliving enough pressure in order to get the seatbelt to unclick.

We were reported dead - witnesses said there was no way we survived and I guess we looked dead hanging there. We were only out for a few minutes. The doors were crushed in a way the witnesses couldn't open them to help. Once the wife was secured I kicked the rear window out.

If it had not been for the built-in roll cage in the Maxima and the heavy rain the night before causing a ton of mud, we would of been killed.

The only injuries were a small cut to my head while getting out and a bruise on SWMBO's shoulder.

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Belle Plaine, Kansas, 67013
Member #

I've had four "OhF**k!* moments" since getting my '63 Land Rover back in July '04; sadly, only 1 has a pic.

The 1st one happened about 4 blocks from the house. The longer, rear half shaft broke. I had to lock the front hubs and put it in 4-wheel drive to get home.

The 3rd one happened while driving down the interstate. The rear diff's oil seal blew - oil was going everywhere - covering my rear-end and back window as well as spraying anything behind me.

The 4th, and what triggered the rebuild, was a bit scary. The parking brake wasn't functioning at that time and the tranny was starting to pop out of gear. I was parked at the local hardware store; it's a slope that's about 3°. The Rover popped out of gear; rolled out of the parking lot; crossed two lanes of traffic and came to rest across the street at the local convenience store. It came to rest so close to one of the fuel pumps it was as if it was driven there. Everyone who was around was laughing. The PD is next door to the lumberyard and even the Chief was laughing. All he said was "ya better get that checked out". What makes it even more humorous is that I actually needed to get gas! If I'd been thinking fast enough I'd of told the Chief "there's no problem, I need to gas up and I trained Grover to do that".

The 2nd event is the only one with a pic.

I was having an issue with the carburetor and the spark plugs. During a family cookout on Memorial day '05 the father-in-law and his brother decided to help me check it out. Both of these guys have been tinkering with cars and motorcycles since they were teens and Grover's 4 cylinder engine isn't complicated - what could go wrong.

Long story short - they didn't pay attention to the firing order of the plugs stamped on the manifold and had never worked worked on a British engine. After they fiddled with the plugs for a few minutes they had me "try it". So I started Gover and there was a massive "BOOM". The whole family came running to the garage thinking we had blown ourselves up.

They had crossed the wires and blown up the brand new, stainless steel muffler!

My ears didn't stop ringing for quite a long time. My left ear wasn't good as it was but now I'm over 50% deaf in that ear.

Attachments

Fozzy325

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Calgary, AB, Canada
Member #

My OMG moment was about 28 years ago when I was driving my scorpion combat vehicle recon tracked.
8E2EE2B5-EE73-4128-BB00-D87DB0D93DCF-9156-00000AE0D52C5D16.jpeg

It was 02:00hrs ish overcast no moon and we were running in blackout mode. My night vision goggles we barely working due to the lack of light, we were manoeuvring forward so I’m following an infrared torch.
The rule is if you lose the light you stop.

So we are moving forward over rough terrain, up and down hillocks. Every now and then I would reach the apex before teetering and going nose down. So I would lose the light and stop. After doing this for about 2 hrs of this the commander said just ease forward until I see the light again.

So I’m on the uphill of the hillock reach and just rock over the top and move about 2 meters forward and stopped as I couldn’t see the commanders silhouette or the light.
Because the vehicle was facing downhill the guys in the back couldn’t open the door.
I stopped the vehicle climbed out and moved to the front of the vehicle.

I couldn’t see him but I could hear him below me. I thought I ran over him but it turned out that I was on the edge of a disused quarry and he fell about 15 meters/yards to the bottom.

We left the vehicle where it was and in the morning we seen that I stopped the vehicle with 1/4 hanging over the edge.

I could have just jumped in started it up and drive away but they wanted to anchor it before trying move it

The guy was ok after his broken ankles mended.

Last edited:

SubeeBen

Rank V

Advocate I

Alpine, CA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Jacques
Member #

Elk hunting in Colorado when I was charged by a bear with my bow strapped on my backpack

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

My biggest vehicular "oh sh**" moment happened on the freeway doing 120kph - my front U-joint on my prop shaft decided to shear off violently. There was a horrible grinding noise and a hideous vibration, and I had to get from the left lane onto the shoulder amid speeding traffic. I hit the hazards immediately and slowed down, but of course nobody pays the slightest attention, and it was quite difficult to get over. I learned the purpose of the little metal straps that go around the prop shaft that day...
IMG_20180627_160404685.jpg
My car might have pole vaulted into the air without them, or at the very least torn my whole rear suspension right off.

Reactions: 9Mike2 and Pyrotech

Pyrotech

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Austin Texas
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Hanson
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB9ZKI
Does loosing your driveshaft at 60mph count? the front U-Joint on the Cherokee went out, shearing the bolts off at the rear yoke. and bounced down the highway. Good thing there was no one behind me or next to me, that could have gotten hit.

However that was minor compared to the time I let the blue light out of a 24,900V power line, as the work truck hooked the 3 phase line and pulled the pole over.

to give you an idea of the truck...

pressure digger.jpg

the one I was driving at the time was 6 wheel drive.. and it was offroad at the time of the incident...

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Wow, I thought I could one up most of you but.....Damn.
Lets see. Coming down a hill way steeper than I should have been on. Rear starts to come over me, all the weight on front axle. I think, Im going over, front driveshaft u-joint pops and I shoot to the bottom.

Fell off a 20 foot cliff backwards while hill climing in my friends Baja Bug. A guy got a picture of us upside down, about half way to the bottom. Hit drivers front corner of the roof and we flipped back into the air and landed on our wheels. The impact blew the rear tires out. What was the Volkswagen ad a few years back? Round is better?

Scott

Berkshires

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Berkshire, MA, USA
First Name
K
Last Name
L
Member #

I haven't had any "oh sh**" while off-roading besides the usual - very loud noise followed by "what was that?" On the road is a different matter, especially when I was younger and driving crap cars. Hood flying open on the highway, obscuring all vision; wheel coming off down a country road; and too many "oh sh**" when I lived in New England and had to deal with ice and snow with a less than capable vehicle. Maybe I need to test my limits more when I'm off-roading.

ZThunder98

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

dallas texas
Member #

Do you have evidence of your "Oh F**k!* moments?

First one ever was in my QX4... Young and naive, but never off-road 2wd on street tires... LOL

Second time was recently in my Suzuki X-90. Learning from mistakes, but I test all crossings now... haha Thankfully the car still ran and I made it out of the park after getting pulled out by a hummer, only for the alternator to die while I was on the highway. I miss that little thing, but it did not make a good overland rig. I did clean it up well though!

Anyways! Post your oh shit moments!

View attachment 78146
View attachment 78147 View attachment 78148 View attachment 78149 View attachment 78150
I'd have to say tornado alot closer than it looks 20170421_193630.jpeg