Hollister, CA, USA
First Name
Lizabeth
Last Name
Deliriumskid
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6STB
I camped at Silver Lake in August. Much better than staying in the Valley. The drive up to Tioga Pass is breathtaking, one of my all-time favorites. Went back in October and it was beautiful, all golden aspen trees and a bit of snow on the mountains. I hope you were able to visit the Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest - take the drive all the way up to Barcroft gate and stop by the Patriarch Grove. Also, Bodie State Park, a cool ghost mining town.
Aspens... you had me at that!

I actually went artifact hunting all around there and drove up to the campgrounds and the two lakes, it was just an overnight trip.
There was one bit of road I bailed on ( pre-lift) that next time I would like to trundle down and see where it goes. Bristlecone is across the valley a bit so I did not make it out there. Thinking about what to do for MLK weekend so maybe that is an option.
june lake.png

It was as you said, very stunning. I have been out to Bodie and sometime this spring plan to head down to Aurora made it that far a few years ago but never ventured beyond it...

Advtres

Rank VI
Investor

Steward I

Hollister, CA, USA
First Name
Lizabeth
Last Name
Deliriumskid
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6STB
We prefer a very simple camping kitchen. Either a single burner gas stove with frying pan, pot or kettle or directly cooking and grilling on the campfire. So we have no long assembly and disassembly times and can use the time saved to do something cool, to go out into nature, to look at something. Also, I don't like lugging around half a household or more, because that's why I go out into nature and travel: the simple life without a lot of stuff I have to care about. Here are a some photos:

View attachment 212648

View attachment 212649
You know there is something to be said for being able to cook from your fender!

• Haha
Reactions: Desert Runner

KS_Explorer

Rank IV

Advocate II

Reading, Lyon County, Kansas, United States
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Lowery
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD0FEG
I am learning a lot reading through all of this. Here is my most recently solo setup.
_MG_5681.CR2.jpg
Everything, except the stove, fits in the insulated bag. I used to work about 2 hours from home and pulled 10 - 12 hour shifts. This was an easy way to get out and enjoy the outdoors for short stints.
_MG_5690.CR2.jpg
What you can not see in this photo is that I accidentally melted the tips of the tines on that lexan fork. It still works well for things like eggs and hashbrowns.
_MG_5689.CR2.jpg
The great was pulling duty as a breakfast table.

PapaDave

Local Expert Northern ID and North East WA

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
I built this kitchen in 2019 from plans posted here on overland bound (thanks to Dave, his design, and willingness to share with this community). Made a few custom changes but the idea was about the same. it's built form 5/8" Baltic Birch with box corners and sealed with Minwax Helmsmen urethane coating. I added lights under the tops, under the stove, and on the bottom to light everything up at night. Didn't do a sink but the stove has ceramic heads to help in the wind. My favorite part is the center cover over the stove. Our little town library was fortunate enough to install a "maker space" that had a laser cutter / engraver. turned out better than I could have imagined. The kids and I have put a lot of love into this project and it makes base camp special. It's for sale by the way.....time for another fun project!!!
View attachment 219387View attachment 219388View attachment 219389View attachment 219390
Idk how I missed this! That is RAD! Nice work!

Reactions: Flyfishin.aa.ron

KadenVentures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Henderson, NV, USA
First Name
Kaden
Last Name
Galvez
Member #

OB Edition

If anyone is interested and/or may be looking into the Tembo Tusk - here is a review video I did on it