Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

WOW! Would love to see pictures and learn more about this story.
I wish it was more exciting but the cabin was gone which to be honest was what I expected. It was quite a place. My Grandfather, his Brothers, my Dad, his Brother and a few other relatives were a mix of carpenters and mechanics and most were in the RCAF at one time. They some how picked up 2 wooden crates that airplane parts were shipped in. Each one was about a 10' cube. They tore them apart. moved them there, reassembled them as a 2 room cabin and put a peaked roof on it that made for a good loft area. It was a great place to go fishing and listen to never ending Air Force stories.

Like most places, the roads were quite different in the 60s and there were less of them. I collect old gas station maps and tried to trace the route we took back then. I couldn't do it exactly but sure got an appreciation of how long the trip took. I stopped for lunch at a picnic area that used to be a campground that was probably active into the 70s. I didn't know it existed but no doubt drove by it many times as a kid. It will now be a destination when I travel up that way (Parry Sound area in Ontario).

This is it after a later addition and a paint job along with a pic of my Grandfather, the "Head Carpenter". Also one of the abandoned campground and my 89 Cherokee.

Isabella Lake.jpgGrampa Beatty.jpg20210810_123042.jpg

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
since i'm the one doing all the packing, driving, setting up, etc...overlanding feels like this at times...

1643316915201.png

but then i get to experience a cool place with the wife and go do hikes and experience some really great moments that only nature can provide and then overlanding turns into this... :grinning:

1643317320699.png

Last edited:

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder III

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

I love the photos of the rigs and the wild places and those are so much of the overland experience. Finding an epic dispersed campground is such a great feeling and the tranquility cannot be beat. For me though that is the definition of camping, not really overlanding (yes I know that the definition of overlanding is a long standing topic) as I think overlanding entails a level of cultural exploration and discovery (and I will admit by my definition I am a low level overlander), reconnection and a rekindling (spirit if you will) of friendships and new friends. Meeting new people and experiencing new cultures is integral to my definition of overlanding-and by this I don't mean remote jungle tribes but there are cultural differences here in the US to explore for example.

So with that in mind I am sharing a picture of an overland trip in which I reconnected with friends and family that I had not seen for a long while in an epic wilderness.

IMG_2138.JPG

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

I'm from the Virginia Beach area, where snow is rare and slight. I decided that I wanted to experience camping in the snow. I was watching the forecast for an area of the George Washington National Forest along the VA/WV line, and found a time where it had gotten about 6" of snow, with about 4" more on the way. I was careful to choose a time where ice wasn't expected, and it worked out great. Some new clothes, some minor gear repair on the trail, exploring some new trails, and getting to see it all under a beautiful blanket of white made for an unforgettable trip.

Trip Report – January 2019 – ОѴƦԼχƝƊ.com

1659882339519.png

1659882421217.png

Last edited: