Newtonhill, Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
As we all know everyone has differing views on what is the essence of "Overlanding" and no one view or opinion is more valid than another.

So with the lockdown continuing post a picture of what you think defines your view of Overlanding and let's all remember what we enjoy and hope to get back to doing once this crisis is over.

I will start, this is Morocco during a hard few days in the Sahara Desert with other Overlanders. Despite the dirt, heat and toil dealing with deep sand, bogged vehicles and flooded river crossings where a day before a group of motorcyclists lost a motorbike that was washed away as they crossed I was still smiling loving every minute of the adventure.

We had been on the road for 8 months and our vehicle / trailer had taken a hammering but still continued to take everything that was thrown at them.

I can't wait for many more adventures like this/

Snip20200415_8.png

Contributor I

Not my rig, but impressed me beyond belief. This was 55 miles from the nearest pavement in Death Valley. The gentleman who owned it drove it from Oregon. He made a great point: This vehicle was made in an era of dirt roads, rocks, and ruts. The suspension tuned through necessity vise want. Wooden rims that are field serviceable, and an open top to take it all in.

I have a very capable vehicle and have been to some incredible places with ease due to it. However, if you want me to give you an image of what overlanding is, it's this rig and this gentleman who is still exploring the west in a Model A.

IMG_9822.jpg

IMG_9819.JPG

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

Newtonhill, Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
Not my rig, but impressed me beyond belief. This was 55 miles from the nearest pavement in Death Valley. The gentleman who owned it drove it from Oregon. He made a great point: This vehicle was made in an era of dirt roads, rocks, and ruts. The suspension tuned through necessity vise want. Wooden rims that are field serviceable, and an open top to take it all in.

I have a very capable vehicle and have been to some incredible places with ease due to it. However, if you want me to give you an image of what overlanding is, it's this rig and this gentleman who is still exploring the west in a Model A.

View attachment 149811

View attachment 149812
Reminds me of an olderGerman guy we met in Spain heading to Morocco on an old tractor. Overlanding at slow speed and he was happy as they come to just putter along

Reactions: Sparksalot

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

My views are 2-fold I guess. First off, are the stories my Mother told me of the adventures my Grandparents took her on thru northern Africa and elsewhere as a kid. My Grandfather was one of those larger than life adventure type souls. As kids we would sit in awe and listen to his tales and stories.
Secondly, would be the spirit of misadventure that has been left in my genes by both my Mother and Father..... and how it plays out as the lust for travel takes us on our adventures.

My Grandmother, picture taken by my Mother....somewhere in Morocco I believe. Their trusty Bedford took them everywhere. Eventually my Grandparents would ship it from the UK to Canada, drive it across the country, find a spot near Hope, BC to call home, build a cabin and settle in for the remainder.
Bedford.jpg

My Mother and Uncle on some adventure somewhere in Germany. My Grandfather was stationed there and he would "borrow" vehicles from the carpool to take his family exploring and on camping trips.
UmwBNJR8.jpeg

Another mis-adventure in a "borrowed" Army vehicle. The baby is my Mother.
-vM6_Svw.jpeg

Trying to do my lineage proud. Camped out on the point in Tuktoyaktuk in July 2018. As soon as I heard they were building the all weather road, I knew I wanted to drive North as soon as possible after it opened. We were fortunate in that we traveled up North before it became too popular, and were able to camp right on the point at the end of the road. I've nevertraveled near that far North before, it was a trip of a lifetime for me and one I won't soon forget. The new road from Inuvik to Tuk was still so new they were continually laying gravel and grading it, and we drove a good portion of that 150+km in 4Hi just to track thru it.
41334464_10155482682516637_2998811432390230016_o.jpg

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Just this one for now. A lonely dirt road up through a distant ridge in the borderlands, in some of the most sparsely populated land in North America. Saw a lot of free range cattle and horses, but not another soul the whole road.

That's one end of overlanding and adventuring; the other is mingling and getting to know the people and culture of different areas I travel through.

quitman_3271-1000.jpeg

Stay safe, stay clean, stay healthy!

Nomad164

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Rockingham, Western Australia, Australia
First Name
Karl
Last Name
Fehlauer
Member #

For me there isn't 'one thing' that defines Overlanding for me but the one thing I think of immediately is 'remoteness'.

Living where I do in Western Australia, within three hours I can be in some of the most remote country in the world and the feeling of being there either by myself (and with SWMBO) or with friends just makes the pressures of the everyday life disappear as we pale into insignificance compered to the country that surrounds us.

Karl

2017-09-23 - Drone - 002.jpg

2019-09-29 Drone 006-Pano-Edit.jpg