Post a Picture That Defines Overlanding For You

• HTML tutorial

PCO6

Rank V

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
Member #

WOW! Would love to see pictures and learn more about this story.
I wish it was more exciting but the cabin was gone which to be honest was what I expected. It was quite a place. My Grandfather, his Brothers, my Dad, his Brother and a few other relatives were a mix of carpenters and mechanics and most were in the RCAF at one time. They some how picked up 2 wooden crates that airplane parts were shipped in. Each one was about a 10' cube. They tore them apart. moved them there, reassembled them as a 2 room cabin and put a peaked roof on it that made for a good loft area. It was a great place to go fishing and listen to never ending Air Force stories.

Like most places, the roads were quite different in the 60s and there were less of them. I collect old gas station maps and tried to trace the route we took back then. I couldn't do it exactly but sure got an appreciation of how long the trip took. I stopped for lunch at a picnic area that used to be a campground that was probably active into the 70s. I didn't know it existed but no doubt drove by it many times as a kid. It will now be a destination when I travel up that way (Parry Sound area in Ontario).

This is it after a later addition and a paint job along with a pic of my Grandfather, the "Head Carpenter". Also one of the abandoned campground and my 89 Cherokee.

Isabella Lake.jpgGrampa Beatty.jpg20210810_123042.jpg

grubworm

Rank V

Member III

Thibodaux, LA, USA
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Ham Callsign
WRMA515
Service Branch
USN-Submarines
since i'm the one doing all the packing, driving, setting up, etc...overlanding feels like this at times...

1643316915201.png

but then i get to experience a cool place with the wife and go do hikes and experience some really great moments that only nature can provide and then overlanding turns into this... :grinning:

1643317320699.png

Last edited:

Ragman

Rank V

Traveler III

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

I love the photos of the rigs and the wild places and those are so much of the overland experience. Finding an epic dispersed campground is such a great feeling and the tranquility cannot be beat. For me though that is the definition of camping, not really overlanding (yes I know that the definition of overlanding is a long standing topic) as I think overlanding entails a level of cultural exploration and discovery (and I will admit by my definition I am a low level overlander), reconnection and a rekindling (spirit if you will) of friendships and new friends. Meeting new people and experiencing new cultures is integral to my definition of overlanding-and by this I don't mean remote jungle tribes but there are cultural differences here in the US to explore for example.

So with that in mind I am sharing a picture of an overland trip in which I reconnected with friends and family that I had not seen for a long while in an epic wilderness.

IMG_2138.JPG