Launch Member

Contributor II

Arkansas
First Name
YVETTE
Last Name
ETTELDORF
Member #

Not exactly the most exciting thing to be asking about. I don’t mind roughing it but bringing my goddaughter I’m going to need something. I’ve researched and definitely don’t want all those bells and whistles. I like the fold up with the bags that have the biodegradable gel. Does anyone have any experience with these or advice on which options are better? I want small, compact and easy. Thanks!

Louiston

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

USA
First Name
Lou
Last Name
N/A
That’s awesome. Does it fit the bags with the gel?
Yes, it comes with 10 bags, you have to buy the gel somewhere else.

I use the powder from REI, and I'm sure many other vender's have it too.

The nice thing is, if you run out of bags or gel/powder, you can just dig a hole and set it over the top. It's the Shit's man!

Last edited:

rsweet

Rank V

Member III

Huntington Beach, CA, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Sweet
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6IHR
Not exactly the most exciting thing to be asking about. I don’t mind roughing it but bringing my goddaughter I’m going to need something. I’ve researched and definitely don’t want all those bells and whistles. I like the fold up with the bags that have the biodegradable gel. Does anyone have any experience with these or advice on which options are better? I want small, compact and easy. Thanks!
Exactly what I use. Wife prefers it than using public restrooms.

Reactions: Wallygator

Scontroneboy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chicago
First Name
Franco
Last Name
Valentino
Member #

I just picked up a small Dometic for under $100 at REI using their 20% off member deal. Purchased for daughter and wife for the same reasons you mentioned, it's pretty compact (16" x 12" x 14"/ 2.5 gal, I think) and light. Honestly hoping it doesn't get much use since I'll be the one likely designated to clean it but perfect for the ladies. My son gets the trowel or shovel depending on the drop

Last edited:

Brian Glendenning

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Socorro, NM
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Glendenning
Member #

We use the Cleanwaste system (aka PETT) bought from REI and find that it works very well. Even if you think you will likely be able to find toilets, it removes some stress from worrying about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wallygator

peeeeetey

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member II

Harrisburg, NC, USA
First Name
Pete
Last Name
Meuser
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WREL270
I just picked up a small Dometic for under $100 at REI using their 20% off member deal. Purchased for daughter and wife for the same reasons you mentioned, it's pretty compact (16" x 12" x 14"/ 2.5 gal, I think) and light. Honestly hoping it doesn't get much use since I'll be the one likely designated to clean it but perfect for the ladies. My son get's the trowel or shovel depending on the drop
I think I have the same one and a shower/privacy tent from Academy sports, but where to store it? I think it is rather large to add to all the other junk I carry, I also have the seat for a 5 gallon bucket. A little small, not like the pot at home.

Reactions: yetteldorf

yetteldorf

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Arkansas
First Name
YVETTE
Last Name
ETTELDORF
Member #

I just picked up a small Dometic for under $100 at REI using their 20% off member deal. Purchased for daughter and wife for the same reasons you mentioned, it's pretty compact (16" x 12" x 14"/ 2.5 gal, I think) and light. Honestly hoping it doesn't get much use since I'll be the one likely designated to clean it but perfect for the ladies. My son get's the trowel or shovel depending on the drop
I’ve been looking at the cleanwaste go with the bags. Seems compact enough not to take up space and I like the idea of the bag and the waste bag going in another bag. It also already has the poo powder in it. I’ll look up the dometic to see what it is. Thank you bunches!

Reactions: Scontroneboy

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

Not the most compact, but I'm a 300lb fella. I don't trust a lot of camping/outdoor products. They only make them for skinny people. Former pro athlete. I used to weigh 365lbs when I was competing. I have broken more outdoor chairs than most of you have owned... combined!

Shower on one side, toilet on the other:

Double Doodie:

Brian Glendenning

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Socorro, NM
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Glendenning
Member #

Not the most compact, but I'm a 300lb fella. I don't trust a lot of camping/outdoor products. They only make them for skinny people. Former pro athlete. I used to weigh 365lbs when I was competing. I have broken more outdoor chairs than most of you have owned... combined!
I don't know why, but your links aren't showing up as clickable for me, just the Amazon logo.

yetteldorf

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Arkansas
First Name
YVETTE
Last Name
ETTELDORF
Member #

Shower on one side, toilet on the other:

Double Doodie:
I finally ordered the Cleanwaste Go. It is supposed to support up to 500 lbs but I definitely don't need that much. Hopefully it stands up to the reviews. It is pretty compact and easy with bags. Unfortunately your pictures didn't come through, just a frowny face showing not loadable.

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

It all really depends on what you are after. The cheapest option is the "Luggable Loo" listed above, it works fine, but does not fold down. There are a lot of fold-able potties, but they are expensive and don't do anything the bucket can't except fold up. The bonus of the Luggable loo/Homer bucket is that if you use the bag system, you can still use the bucket for other things.
The Port-a-Potty is the closest thing to a "real" toilet and it may be the best thing to bridge the gap and make the significant other willing to go with you. Many can be had for under $100. They require chemicals and you have to find a place to dump them legally.
So:
Bucket style - Cheap, easy and ready to go. Can be used for other tasks
Fold-able - More money, but take up less space. Not ready to go in an emergency, only useful as a toilet
Port-a-Potty - Again, more money, takes up more space, needs chemicals. But, always ready for use, closest to a real toilet.
Shovel in the woods - Super cheap, packs small, not always an option. Most ladies will tell you where to go if told to use it.