Launch Member

Contributor II

Arkansas
First Name
YVETTE
Last Name
ETTELDORF
Member #

It all really depends on what you are after. The cheapest option is the "Luggable Loo" listed above, it works fine, but does not fold down. There are a lot of fold-able potties, but they are expensive and don't do anything the bucket can't except fold up. The bonus of the Luggable loo/Homer bucket is that if you use the bag system, you can still use the bucket for other things.
The Port-a-Potty is the closest thing to a "real" toilet and it may be the best thing to bridge the gap and make the significant other willing to go with you. Many can be had for under $100. They require chemicals and you have to find a place to dump them legally.
So:
Bucket style - Cheap, easy and ready to go. Can be used for other tasks
Fold-able - More money, but take up less space. Not ready to go in an emergency, only useful as a toilet
Port-a-Potty - Again, more money, takes up more space, needs chemicals. But, always ready for use, closest to a real toilet.
Shovel in the woods - Super cheap, packs small, not always an option. Most ladies will tell you where to go if told to use it.
Researching so many items it’s insane how much product is out there. I did go ahead and order the Cleanwaste Go with the bags that already have powder. I think she’ll be okay with it. I definitely don’t need or want something fancy. The bags are biodegradable just have to find out where to dispose of it. Thank you

Reactions: Wallygator

Lou Skannon

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Winnipeg, MB, Canada
First Name
Lou
Last Name
Skannon
I have a port-a-potty in the truck but definitely only for Number Ones. Number Twos are for public washrooms or if it is an emergency then I use Double-Doodle bag set under the seat of the port--a-potty.

Reactions: yetteldorf

Scontroneboy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chicago
First Name
Franco
Last Name
Valentino
Member #

I think I have the same one and a shower/privacy tent from Academy sports, but where to store it? I think it is rather large to add to all the other junk I carry, I also have the seat for a 5 gallon bucket. A little small, not like the pot at home.
Storage is definitely an issue, one of those things that when you've got to bring it will have to leave something else at home. I'm looking to buy a new topper and RLD has an elevated storage system that is perfect for items you need to bring but rarely actually use so that's likely going to be it's home. Over the years I've packed less and less for my trips so space is increasing while weight is decreasing and I hate adding anything to it but keeping the gals happy goes a long way

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
7 gal buckets are taller than 5 gal, more comfort for the user. Add a snap on seat, bio-degradable liners and you have a ultra low cost port a potty. You can also get a snap on cushion for the bucket for double duty and it can be used for storage.

Bob (Fishingbob)

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Aransas Pass, Texas
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Burton
Member #

I used to use the Standard Port-a-Potty, but it was large/bulky etc
Here is the system I use now. The picture on the top is the unit, the bags are the picture below it. I think I purchased it on Amazon. Bags are actually two bags in one-the inner bag has the decomposing/deodorant stuff. Easy to use, really stable and folds up nicely.
Portable toilet.jpg

yetteldorf

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Arkansas
First Name
YVETTE
Last Name
ETTELDORF
Member #

Here is the system I use now. The picture on the top is the unit, the bags are the picture below it. I think I purchased it on Amazon. Bags are actually two bags in one-the inner bag has the decomposing/deodorant stuff. Easy to use, really stable and folds up nicely.
View attachment 151057
Thats exactly what I have coming! Seemed compact, quick, easy and has the powder! How did you determine where you can dispose of the waste bags?

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
View attachment 151057
I would be using that but with bad knees and being 6'4" it is to low for me.......I use a folding bedside toilet with the already mentioned bags, love it, cheap, easy for big guys and sturdy:
t.jpg

Bob (Fishingbob)

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Aransas Pass, Texas
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Burton
Member #

That's exactly what I have coming! Seemed compact, quick, easy and has the powder! How did you determine where you can dispose of the waste bags?
yetteldorf
Great question--I attended a OB gathering a few years back, and the group was asked while we were sitting around a campfire, what we disliked the most about Over-landing-general question. I remarked finding gobs of toilet paper, wadded up or blowing around and waster piles just outside of the camping area. The questioner said no one had ever brought that question up -to discuss. Kind of like the elephant in the room I quest. Not properly disposing of waste can be a huge issue in some areas and yet it shouldn't be.

There is a great Aussie take on the issue on You Tube -worth the visit " Toilet duties while camping and responsible disposal of waste" view the comments left by others after viewing the video.

Depending on your remoteness/length of stay etc here what I have been doing:
Definitely using Biodegradable waste bags (I usually place TP in separate zip lock bag)
If I decide to bury the bag, I dig a hole 12", and cover the bag with saw dust or peat moss (I carry a few small one gallon zip lock with both or either) then cover with dirt
I some times carry it out -placing the biodegradable bag in another garbage bag.

I'm presently using the remaining bags of the "Double Doodle" system, they say to dispose of properly (?) but do not go into any detail- purchased on Amazon
There is also another product I might check into-"Restop 2"

I'm going to be purchasing a product from REI called the "Cleanwaste Go Anywhere Toilet Kit Waste Bags"

These appear to be Environmentally Friendly/Landfill approved Go anywhere waste bags, disposed of in regular garbage.
permitted by the US Bureau of Land Management and apparently approved in the Leave no trace program in conjunction with the National Forest Service.

Yes the biodegradable plastic bags do not dissolve completely, but dissolve to smaller plastic pieces, but you have to draw the line somewhere.
I keep thinking about the millions of dogs being walked, daily in local parks, RV parks, state and national parks--- I'm hoping people are using Biodegradable Doggy bags, because these bags are going directly into waste containers all over.

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

Not exactly the most exciting thing to be asking about. I don’t mind roughing it but bringing my goddaughter I’m going to need something. I’ve researched and definitely don’t want all those bells and whistles. I like the fold up with the bags that have the biodegradable gel. Does anyone have any experience with these or advice on which options are better? I want small, compact and easy. Thanks!
I would recommend one with a 5 gal holding tank. We upgraded from a 2.5 to a 5. Works great, I double up on the pottie juice to make sure there is no oder. Easy to dump anywhere. That’s my job when we get home from a trip. The Pottie Patrol, flush down toilet then rinse out with garden hose. Ours is a Domedic. You can find them on Amazon and Marine and RV sites.DB171CA2-7601-4B17-AA96-50D4B9B60945.jpeg

yetteldorf

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Arkansas
First Name
YVETTE
Last Name
ETTELDORF
Member #

yetteldorf
Great question--I attended a OB gathering a few years back, and the group was asked while we were sitting around a campfire, what we disliked the most about Over-landing-general question. I remarked finding gobs of toilet paper, wadded up or blowing around and waster piles just outside of the camping area. The questioner said no one had ever brought that question up -to discuss. Kind of like the elephant in the room I quest. Not properly disposing of waste can be a huge issue in some areas and yet it shouldn't be.

There is a great Aussie take on the issue on You Tube -worth the visit " Toilet duties while camping and responsible disposal of waste" view the comments left by others after viewing the video.

Depending on your remoteness/length of stay etc here what I have been doing:
Definitely using Biodegradable waste bags (I usually place TP in separate zip lock bag)
If I decide to bury the bag, I dig a hole 12", and cover the bag with saw dust or peat moss (I carry a few small one gallon zip lock with both or either) then cover with dirt
I some times carry it out -placing the biodegradable bag in another garbage bag.

I'm presently using the remaining bags of the "Double Doodle" system, they say to dispose of properly (?) but do not go into any detail- purchased on Amazon
There is also another product I might check into-"Restop 2"

I'm going to be purchasing a product from REI called the "Cleanwaste Go Anywhere Toilet Kit Waste Bags"

These appear to be Environmentally Friendly/Landfill approved Go anywhere waste bags, disposed of in regular garbage.
permitted by the US Bureau of Land Management and apparently approved in the Leave no trace program in conjunction with the National Forest Service.

Yes the biodegradable plastic bags do not dissolve completely, but dissolve to smaller plastic pieces, but you have to draw the line somewhere.
I keep thinking about the millions of dogs being walked, daily in local parks, RV parks, state and national parks--- I'm hoping people are using Biodegradable Doggy bags, because these bags are going directly into waste containers all over.
It is the elephant in the room and although I felt odd bringing it up it is an issue. I purchased the exact Biodegradable bags "Cleanwaste go anywhere kit". Everything I read is exactly what you stated. I should be able to dispose of it easily. I'll bring extra bags for the TP and a shovel.

I would hope the manufacturers of the doggies waste bags make all of them biodegradable. They are everywhere and that is a lot of plastic going into landfills. Thank you so much!

Reactions: Bob (Fishingbob)

Contributor I

Brighton, CO, USA
First Name
Tommy
Last Name
Knight
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8FBR
Not the most compact, but I'm a 300lb fella. I don't trust a lot of camping/outdoor products. They only make them for skinny people. Former pro athlete. I used to weigh 365lbs when I was competing. I have broken more outdoor chairs than most of you have owned... combined!

Shower on one side, toilet on the other:

Double Doodie:

I was looking at these same 3 options yesterday...
Need to find a good solution for the wifey!