First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
you can search the gear section and see a thread about diesel heaters

there have been several threads on here about the buddy propane heaters, but they are scattered around the forum under different topics and hard to find.
i personally started with a buddy heater years ago and really didnt like it because it did put out CO and creates a lot of condensate...we'd wake up wet in our small tear drop camper and the walls and ceilings would be dripping with condensate.

i just went with a diesel heater last month and i think it is superior to the propane heaters...no CO and zero condensate

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
I second @grubworm with the diesel heater, we have used tents for years, mostly unheated mainly because we pretended to be tougher back then, but more likely too cheap. Even sleeping with the windows open resulted in a tent that was wetter on the inside than the outside. Enter the Mr Buddy Heaters, they produced a nice warm, but soaking wet tent, the amount of moisture produced by burning propane indoors is immense, far more than the heat is capable of drying out. Australia has some really neat propane heat exchanger units that keep the combustion air separate from the conditioned air in the tent, however not available in North America for some reason. The diesel heaters run under the same principal where there are separate air inlets and exhausts for the burner and the hot air for the living area. For the basic tent use, the heater itself sits outside with a small inlet and exhaust pipe for the burner and then a larger air intake for the heated air and a flexible hose that you run into your tent for heat. The heaters are available pre built in a metal case, or as a bunch of parts to hard mount in a vehicle or DIY into a weather proof case of your choice. we went with an all in one solution and it has worked perfect for us, just need to make sure its covered or under an awning as the manufactures case is not waterproof.

One issue with the all in one units is the thermostat is on the heater itself and will be located outside so it will likely force the heater to run full tilt as it will always read cold. Switching the heater to manual mode allows (on our unit anyway) selecting heating levels from 1 to 12 with the remote control so the heater just chugs along at a fixed level, you just have to pick which one works best for the conditions. We will crank it up when using the annex and hanging out playing cards etc,, then set it to level 1 or 2 for the night which keeps the chill off and allows for our RTT side windows to be cracked. then notch it up a few levels a little bit before time to get up. Even better than waking and getting dressed in a warm tent is that everything including the tent is DRY. If its not raining the outside of the tent will be free of dew also, so we pack away a fully dry tent.

There is an option to use a return air hose back to the inlet side of the heater so that it works more like a house furnace bringing cooled air back from the tent and re-heating it instead of always heating outside cold air this will increase the efficiency of the unit quite a bit, however it may also increase the moisture content due to recirculating moisture caused by breathing. We go with 100 percent outside air and have had no issues.

Sam30931_xterra

Rank V

Traveler III

Yakima, Yakima County, Washington, United States
First Name
Sam
Last Name
McCormick
Member #

I second @grubworm with the diesel heater, we have used tents for years, mostly unheated mainly because we pretended to be tougher back then, but more likely too cheap. Even sleeping with the windows open resulted in a tent that was wetter on the inside than the outside. Enter the Mr Buddy Heaters, they produced a nice warm, but soaking wet tent, the amount of moisture produced by burning propane indoors is immense, far more than the heat is capable of drying out. Australia has some really neat propane heat exchanger units that keep the combustion air separate from the conditioned air in the tent, however not available in North America for some reason. The diesel heaters run under the same principal where there are separate air inlets and exhausts for the burner and the hot air for the living area. For the basic tent use, the heater itself sits outside with a small inlet and exhaust pipe for the burner and then a larger air intake for the heated air and a flexible hose that you run into your tent for heat. The heaters are available pre built in a metal case, or as a bunch of parts to hard mount in a vehicle or DIY into a weather proof case of your choice. we went with an all in one solution and it has worked perfect for us, just need to make sure its covered or under an awning as the manufactures case is not waterproof.

One issue with the all in one units is the thermostat is on the heater itself and will be located outside so it will likely force the heater to run full tilt as it will always read cold. Switching the heater to manual mode allows (on our unit anyway) selecting heating levels from 1 to 12 with the remote control so the heater just chugs along at a fixed level, you just have to pick which one works best for the conditions. We will crank it up when using the annex and hanging out playing cards etc,, then set it to level 1 or 2 for the night which keeps the chill off and allows for our RTT side windows to be cracked. then notch it up a few levels a little bit before time to get up. Even better than waking and getting dressed in a warm tent is that everything including the tent is DRY. If its not raining the outside of the tent will be free of dew also, so we pack away a fully dry tent.

There is an option to use a return air hose back to the inlet side of the heater so that it works more like a house furnace bringing cooled air back from the tent and re-heating it instead of always heating outside cold air this will increase the efficiency of the unit quite a bit, however it may also increase the moisture content due to recirculating moisture caused by breathing. We go with 100 percent outside air and have had no issues.
Wow thanks for the info I'm gonna have to look into that

Reactions: OTH Overland

Sam30931_xterra

Rank V

Traveler III

Yakima, Yakima County, Washington, United States
First Name
Sam
Last Name
McCormick
Member #

you can search the gear section and see a thread about diesel heaters

there have been several threads on here about the buddy propane heaters, but they are scattered around the forum under different topics and hard to find.
i personally started with a buddy heater years ago and really didnt like it because it did put out CO and creates a lot of condensate...we'd wake up wet in our small tear drop camper and the walls and ceilings would be dripping with condensate.

i just went with a diesel heater last month and i think it is superior to the propane heaters...no CO and zero condensate
Thanks for the tip I'm gonna look into a diesel heater

Reactions: grubworm

Hemobreak

Rank III
Investor

Enthusiast I

Torrance, CA, USA
First Name
Theodore
Last Name
Sato
Member #

Another issue with the Buddy Heater Mini is they don't seem to work well at high altitude >11000ft. Had no issues at Mahogany Flats 8200ft or Grandview 8600ft, wouldn't light at White Mountain Peak trailhead 11680ft. In CA very rare to camp above 10000ft so not really an issue.

Reactions: Sam30931_xterra

Speric

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Santa Rosa, CA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Speric
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SCT
Has anyone used a desiccant while running their buddy/propane heater? something like this?
desiccant.jpeg

I remember using something like this when when our "laundry room" was in the the middle of the house with no venting and our dryer was a giant humidifier. I'm thinking of trying this.