Rank 0

Traveler I

USA
First Name
Toni
Last Name
Holmes
Member #

Portable fire pits vary quite drastically in design as well. Some look like traditional non-portable fire pits, but are lightweight, while others have folding legs and carrying bags. Options like the UCO Flatpack fold flat for backpackers or serious campers who need to keep their flames off the ground. In addition, some pits have more practical features for cooking food and grilling, such as included cooking grates. The BioLite even allows for charcoal, if that’s your preferred method of grilling visit gofirepit for more detail.

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
I’m with Andrew, and old-school Weber grill or smoker makes a great fire-pit and are still usable as a bbq grill/smoker. You can probably find one fairly cheap at a yard sale or marketplace. The lid is nice when snuffing out the fire too!

Reactions: MiamiC70

Brewbud

Rank V

Member III

SoCal
Member #

I’m with Andrew, and old-school Weber grill or smoker makes a great fire-pit and are still usable as a bbq grill/smoker. You can probably find one fairly cheap at a yard sale or marketplace. The lid is nice when snuffing out the fire too!
My Smokey Joe bbq got used as a firepit a lot. They work great. We are under so many fire restrictions down here in SoCal I usually use a portable propane pit now.

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
A good camp fire is as integral to family camping as Smores (imho). I have yet to meet anyone tho that enjoys getting the smoke-in-the-face. Entire books and numerous videos are dedicated to minimizing the smokey fire pit. I had almost resigned myself to a propane fire pit complete with the fake logs to achieve it. Then my Son visits and buys me a Solo Stove Bonfire... The rest, as they say, is history... Very cool use of technology and modern manufacturing... I'm already looking forward to the accessories like the heat dispersion top, the griddle top and cook set. There are some seriously "f"art-"s"mellers out there...

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
Upgraded my bonfire for under $50. Saw a bunch of vids about the Solo Stove Bonfire heat deflector. Saw a few DIY models using pizza pans and patio propane heater tops. Ordered some folding steel table legs and attached them to a pizza tray then took my FWOK (SEE PREVIOUS POSTS ON FARM WOK) and placed it upside down over the farm-gineered griddle and voila... Portable fire pit heat deflector. Throws heat outwards and down towards my legs as I sit around it! Who needs to spend Ukraine money to have a heat deflector!

Attachments

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

Who needs to spend Ukraine money to have a heat deflector!
Said the person that spent close to $300 on a fire tub.
I ripped the tub out of an old washing machine and used it as a fire pit for years. Worked great. Radiates lots of heat sideways. Wish I had patented the idea - before Solo!

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Got me a $110 Amazon, 20" round gas pit with lava rocks and lid, used it a few times now, we love it, get more heat than I expected on low... Best thing is Cali and other no wood fore states allow gas.

Jim

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

I don’t understand these portable fire pits posts. Part of the camping experience is a CAMP FIRE. I don’t want to sit around a fake propane powered camp fire. if some nanny state says I do then I will either not go camping or go camping somewhere else.

That said I own a Solo Stove Ranger and love it. I guess is I HAD to that would be my choice as at least I can smell, hear and smell actual wood burning.
The problem I run into is that in many places where you can camp, there just isn’t enough downed wood to sustain a fire. So, if I have to go buy and transport firewood, I may as well just take a small propane firepit.

Hammer Time

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Los Angeles
First Name
H
Last Name
T
Member #

Lots of places, due to insect infestation and other factors, don't allow wood to be brought in. One must purchase locally.

While I greatly prefer a wood fire, if it's not acceptable by the locals, I'll go second best, with either a Duraflame or a propane fire. For me, it's not about the fire, it's about being there.

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
Said the person that spent close to $300 on a fire tub.
I ripped the tub out of an old washing machine and used it as a fire pit for years. Worked great. Radiates lots of heat sideways. Wish I had patented the idea - before Solo!
Ha! Funny but not accurate. Mine was a Christmas gift from my Son. I would not have spent that much...

• Haha
Reactions: Tundracamper

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

Ha! Funny but not accurate. Mine was a Christmas gift from my Son. I would not have spent that much...
Touché. Still, carrying a propane fire pit and a small propane tank OR carrying a solo firepit with a fancy lid and some REAL firewood, it’s a lot of crap to carry. With the propane, at least I can crank it up first thing in the morning, while cooking breakfast, and then pack it away soon when it cools down quickly. I suspect the Solo takes quite a significant amount of time to cool, unless one uses water - but then you have a real mess. Overall, the propane pit seems much more versatile, convenient, and useable.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Lots of places, due to insect infestation and other factors, don't allow wood to be brought in. One must purchase locally.

While I greatly prefer a wood fire, if it's not acceptable by the locals, I'll go second best, with either a Duraflame or a propane fire. For me, it's not about the fire, it's about being there.
NPS is on the purchase the wood local due to bugs kick also, but when you go to any store within 100 miles of the Mojave Preserve the for sale fire wood is from out of state.
Just an observation nothing more. :tearsofjoy: