Poll: When you camp, do you normally have cell service?

• HTML tutorial

Advocate I

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Wade
Last Name
Jackman
Member #

I prob have a signal about 15-20% of the time but it depends a lot on the trip. I typically put my phone away when camping. We do carry a Garmin inReach in case of emergency.

• Love
Reactions: Ubiety

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Normally? No, none, nada. Surprisingly last year while camping on Kelly’s Point we picked up a bar or so emanating from way across the canyon, near a village. Here in Pa, we get zero service in our own back yard up in the hills. Do we purposely seek out areas with zero cell service? Yes. Further away from the rat race, the better.

Reactions: grubworm

ProtonDecay

Rank V

Influencer II

In my mind I am always at a remote high-elevation lake surrounded by snowcapped peaks.
First Name
Derek
Last Name
Riehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6NUI
Not that much experience internationally, but Baja and the west coast of mainland Mexico have pretty good coverage, especially if you can use Telmex (T-Mobile affiliated). Heck, they even put towers out in the middle of some bays, like Puerto Vallarta, which you can then hit from pretty much anywhere with line of sight and given the hills surrounding the bay that's quite a lot. Still mostly LTE, but 5G was more available in mid-March compared to last October. We don't seek it out unless we're going to be somewhere for a few days, but we're addicts like most and will use the signal if it's available.

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
Being the techie, I am installing a StarLink satellite system in my teardrop so I can bug out to the mountains and still work remote. That gives me wifi for my phone and computer. I can video conference. That is mainly for the wife. She is a minister and spends 4-6 hours a day coordinating multiple events across the country.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Being the techie, I am installing a StarLink satellite system in my teardrop so I can bug out to the mountains and still work remote. That gives me wifi for my phone and computer. I can video conference. That is mainly for the wife. She is a minister and spends 4-6 hours a day coordinating multiple events across the country.
I thought starlink had to be re-provisioned for a move (makes no sense to me). Is that not true?

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
I started this thread because of a lot of chatter about needing cellphone access. I come from the days before cellphones.

A year or two ago there was a funny situation that arose here in Colorado. There was a lady from back east that was going through Rocky Mountain Park. The park is a designated wilderness. There is a road called Trail Ridge Road that goes up and over the Continental Divide. The views are spectacular. She was looking at the views and drove off the road and ended up 500 ft down the mountain. It was 3-4 days before they found her, alive. She tried to sue the Park, the State, the county and everybody else she could think of because it was here constitutional right to have cell phone coverage and guard rails, and everybody was negligent for not providing it. The suit was thrown out, but it goes to show you the sense of entitlement and lack of taking personal responsibility for your actions.

When you are out there by yourself, it is your responsibility to be careful and be prepared.

OcoeeG

Rank II

Enthusiast III

SE TN
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Gee
I started this thread because of a lot of chatter about needing cellphone access. I come from the days before cellphones.

A year or two ago there was a funny situation that arose here in Colorado. There was a lady from back east that was going through Rocky Mountain Park. The park is a designated wilderness. There is a road called Trail Ridge Road that goes up and over the Continental Divide. The views are spectacular. She was looking at the views and drove off the road and ended up 500 ft down the mountain. It was 3-4 days before they found her, alive. She tried to sue the Park, the State, the county and everybody else she could think of because it was here constitutional right to have cell phone coverage and guard rails, and everybody was negligent for not providing it. The suit was thrown out, but it goes to show you the sense of entitlement and lack of taking personal responsibility for your actions.

When you are out there by yourself, it is your responsibility to be careful and be prepared.
AMEN BROTHA!!

ProtonDecay

Rank V

Influencer II

In my mind I am always at a remote high-elevation lake surrounded by snowcapped peaks.
First Name
Derek
Last Name
Riehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6NUI
Just got my box and starting build. Let me know if you want to compare notes.

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
You can simply go to an app on your phone and enter your new location.
Ive heard sometimes this still doesnt work and you need to know where you are going to be. Also how well are the sattelites now? The gen ones needed to have no inteference for them to work. Have you has the opportunity to use it yet?

I have been thinking of getting this for my trailer as remote work and school will be far easier with starlink. Due to how I have heard the current state is for mobile, I was going to wait until they released their "mobile version".

Reactions: ProtonDecay