Poll: When you camp, do you normally have cell service?

• HTML tutorial

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

I get everyone feels being off-grid is cool. Yet reality is, most everywhere is getting covered. It's not a bad thing really! I had spot where we hoped to reach out and report to Emergency Services. Even my radios didn't contact.

Most times I find we can connect. There are times I shut all the devices down. Most times I leave a device up as our main contact in case..

ZombieCat

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Maryland
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
Awaits!
Member #

I may be in the minority, but I welcome the expansion of service options (wider cell coverage, GPS communication devices, Starlink, etc.) and improved connectivity. I’ve always been a solo traveler and hiker. As I’m getting older, I’ve finally admitted that I’m not bulletproof and may require assistance at some point - whether for my rig, a medical emergency or to assist another person. Knowing that I can get help is comforting, especially for my family. I’ll be investing in a Garmin InReach Mini before my 2023 summer excursions.
There’s always the option to “turn off and tune out.” Just power up when you want to check in, leave it off or on airplane mode the rest of the time. I also download music and podcasts for entertainment when driving through areas without cell service. Even on paved roads, I’ve driven hours with only 1x or SOS only service, seeing only a few other cars. There’s more traffic on Imogene or Ophir pass than some parts of Utah.

Pyrat

Rank II

Pathfinder II

Dallas, TX, USA
First Name
Allen
Last Name
Hilburn
Service Branch
Navy and Army
Having just acquired my Sequoia, and it being the first off-roader I've had in decades, the last time I went "Overlanding" it didn't have a name yet and cell phones didn't exist. I'm kind of with ZombieCat, not being a spring chicken anymore, como has become more important. So far I have always had coverage but I am planning on adding a Weboost system to the rig and going further afield as the Sequoia gets updated and maybe even a sat phone.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
I get everyone feels being off-grid is cool.
For me its not about being "cool" - its all about getting away from the daily grind and rediscovering mindfulness.

Yet reality is, most everywhere is getting covered.
It is still very common to be without cell service West of the Rockies when outside of towns/cities or major roadways as we have vast areas with little to no population. The attached 4G/LTE coverage map demonstrates this; the green-ish areas without coverage are the "remote" areas that the overlanders, those that I know anyway, flock to. The ROI on placing infrastructure in vast "unpopulated" areas is just not there so "growth" has been slow.

1671283592127.png

JeepingMike

Rank V

Advocate II

Greencastle, PA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Stern
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB7THL
Service Branch
USN Corpsman Veteran
My intent of getting away from the concrete jungle includes disconnecting and resetting. Many places I go have no service and others I intentionally use airplane mode. I don't leave electronics behind, as I often download and read books/magazines while hanging out in camp. Yes, having service for emergencies can be valuable, but inreach, amateur radio, etc. can serve those needs too.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
For me its not about being "cool" - its all about getting away from the daily grind and rediscovering mindfulness.
Yes, exactly; leaving the rat race and all its entrapments far behind, only connecting with what is important. I do have a hobby room in the basement that lacks any adult supervision but it isn't all that important.

Hemobreak

Rank III
Investor

Enthusiast I

Torrance, CA, USA
First Name
Theodore
Last Name
Sato
Member #

Most of the places I camp/hike are remote with no cellular service. It's nice to have service but I usually solo camp/hike and I like the solitude. I always file a travel plan with the family, and have a Garmin InReach Mini for daily tracking when driving. I send out updates when I start my hike, at the peak, and on my return. I keep track of the weather with the InReach and NOAA via GMRS radio.

Advocate I

Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Member #

Most spots I camp don't have cell service. Even the Provincial campgrounds most of the time don't have signal, the remote spots I go to definitely don't have signal.
All my maps get saved offline beforehand, or I carry hard copies. I usually carry information about lakes in the area ( depths, fish stocking info ...). All the best spots are the spots nobody else can get to lol.

P8trit

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Montana
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Campbell
Personally I don't care if it does or doesn't, it's up to each of us to choose to be with or without. I like having service so I can update maps or reroute without having to always download an area before because sometimes plans change. I also like not having to have 15 memberships to be safe but with that said being in the rockies I find most areas are spotty.

Reactions: Lone Wolf 1965