Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Used to drive an old Cat D2 and "disk" fields as a kid. Plows, harrows, rollers and disks were all different tools. But, if you step back 100 yards, it all kinda' blurs into the same thing don't it?

It doesn't matter what it really was called. People are now calling it a plow disk cooker and you're not going to be able to fight the tide.

-jim lee
Cmon, beating my head against the wall can be fun.. I taught my girls, “say what you mean and mean what you say” they hated that as teenagers, buy now they are 40+ and thank me for it repeatedly..

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Yeah, but can be just so bloody frustrating.

-jim lee
Damn I love your rig. Always wanted one like it but you can't find them anymore. I almost swung a deal for the ambulance model about 20 years ago, but it fell through.:hearteyes::hearteyes:

buckwilk

Rank IV

Advocate II

yuma, az
I started this thread a couple years back and ended up going with the King Cooker. Love it, use it all the time at home and camping. I never run out of things to cook on it and love the way it gathers folks around. May be my favorite piece of kit.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
View attachment 117875
Picked up a 22” Discada with oval handles from Southwest Disk, now to design a table that I can attach to my trailer so I can attach a burner too
Kinda looks like my discarded satilite dish cleaned up. I knew there must be something I could build with it.

Reactions: Poseidon and naysjp

RedClay

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Townsend, Georgia, United States
First Name
Clay
Last Name
Mahaffey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRWH971
Okay...I can't stand it. I did grow up on a farm :)

Two or three stages of tillage. The first is plowing...it cuts the ground and turns it over. There are disc plows, but it's not common at all. The second is a disc, also called 'disk harrowing' in the southeast where I drove tractors at least. Secondary tillage used to turn in plants and flip the soil again. That's what 90% of these disks are used for. The third is a light tillage to break up the surface a bit and isn't always done. Often uses tines or chains. Think of it like using sandpaper...first the 60 grit, then the 120 grit, then the 200 grit. Disk harrows are the 120 grit. :)

Either way, it's a good tool for cooking!

Truckee

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Bay Area, CA
Okay...I can't stand it. I did grow up on a farm :)

Two or three stages of tillage. The first is plowing...it cuts the ground and turns it over. There are disc plows, but it's not common at all.
I imagine the difference in terminology is because the difference in locale... and the US is probably not one of the first countries to adopt this style of cookware... but I'm just guessing. <shrug>

RedClay

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Townsend, Georgia, United States
First Name
Clay
Last Name
Mahaffey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRWH971
This was a fun thread until people started arguing over verbiage
Your definition of arguing is different than mine, it appears. If having a discussion to gain clarity and understanding is arguing, then I might be the most disagreeable fellow on the planet. Slightly (very) off-topic perhaps, but hardly arguing.

So sorry you aren't having fun anymore.

WAYAWAY

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
P
Member #

There are some big dollar names out there producing these kits. I don't begrudge them in any way, it's just their product doesn't meet my needs or what I'm willing to budget. I have found multiple sources for the plow wok 18" Madrid Discada and I have a Coleman single burner stove. I'm thinking some kind of support to set the disk on over the burner on top of the propane bottle on a table. I would like it to fold so as to minimize packing problems. Any ideas ?
That is so cool!!

Tumbleweed

Rank 0

Contributor I

Mtn Home, Idaho
First Name
Don
Last Name
Burton
Ham/GMRS Callsign
WL7IQ
If you want to add some versatility to your cooker, consider getting a lid to cover your food. It can keep it cleaner, help to steam your food, and retain heat. I went to Walmart and got a large, stainless steel dog bowl for about $8. Drilled a hole in the middle of it, added a wooden drawer knob. Makes a great cover for the cooker.skottle lid.jpg

brianb2

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Charlotte, NC
Member #

Agree. A lid opens up a bunch of new things you can make. Steam baking is a big hit with the family. Cinnamon rolls, brownies, and one time we did a cake that wasn’t pretty but tasted good all the same. Wife did a quiche also the was awesome.

Tumbleweed

Rank 0

Contributor I

Mtn Home, Idaho
First Name
Don
Last Name
Burton
Ham/GMRS Callsign
WL7IQ
I have been asked to detail how I made my discada. I bought the Bayou Classic 17" cast iron disc # 7488 off ebay with free shipping for $39.10. Edit: as of 1-6-2020 it is $29.99 on ebay. It came with 3 nubs on the bottom side that are threaded for metric threaded rods for legs. I think they were #10 threads. I found a metric bolt that would fit and screwed it into the holes. Then took some 1/2" black iron water pipe and cut it to my size, think it was around 34" for the three legs. Welded one end of the pipe onto the bolt head- and had removeable legs. Then took some 1/4" x 1" steel flatbar and made a two sided V that fit over the three nubs on the bottom. I drilled a 1/2" hole where the nubs would fit. The metric bolts go there and hold the flatbar in place. I did not have my welder hooked up at the time, so just overlapped the flatbar to fit. I then took and drilled and tapped a 1/4 coarse thread hole- about the middle of each side for the bolt to secure the stove. I used a 1/4" eye bolt as it is easier to screw without any tools and they don't make a thumbscrew with enough threads. These two bolts hold the stove snug to the bottom of the disc. The stove has a grate on top with grooves that lets it set flush against the bottom, the bolts keep it in place. The stove top is real thin, you don't need much to tighten the bolts. BTW, at Walmart; the Coleman 10k BTU stove is about $24. You can get the Ozark Trail brand there for half the price. It appears to be an exact copy of the Coleman. There you have it. Nice removeable stove legs and stove mount. If you want to unbolt three bolts, you can throw the disc over a campfire or grate and cook that way. You can also use the disc with legs as a great dutch oven table. Nice that you don't have to bend over to check or stir the dutch oven. You might have to clean and reseason it if you do use charcoal on it. As noted above this thread, I added a lid to my discada. Walmart $8 dog dish makes a great lid. Wooden drawer knob for a handle. Helps to keep heat in, steam, bake, etc. I have about $75 total in my cooking disc set up.

Last edited: