Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Calgary Alberta
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Boksteyn
Member #

Man, you got a good grind on these things. I'd make another one if I could get my hands on a couple of more discs. Here in CA, you can't have them shipped from Tractor Supply so you gotta find a farm here that has them. The one farm owner who I got mine from won't return my emails.

Well the thing to do is, pack your cooler, load the family or a few friends up and start a mini road trip. Drive around the back roads and stop in on some farms and introduce yourselves, one of them is bound to have a few you can pick up.
I’ve done a few times over the years and it’s a lot of fun.

Tahoe.Adventures

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Corona, CA
Member #

Those of you using the coleman single burner with these, how are you securing the burner under the stove?
Just some flat steel bar (I had 1-5” wide), bend it 90 degrees, drill a hole and weld a nut (since it’s too thin to tap). Made it wide enough to accommodate any type of single stove burner.

brianb2

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Charlotte, NC
Member #

For you guys cooking on these discs, you should look into getting a “Sous Vide” cooker for home. I think the two are a perfect match. We cook up steaks, chicken, shrimp, fish all on the rare side in the Sous vide, then freeze them and finish them on the disc. If you’ve tried to cook thick cuts of meat on the disc you’ll appreciate the Sous vide also. We were out again this past weekend and had burgers, shrimp, and steak with a bunch of veggies with each. Awesome. After you get a dome for your disc a Sous vide should be on your list.

Reactions: Tahoe.Adventures

Tahoe.Adventures

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Corona, CA
Member #

For you guys cooking on these discs, you should look into getting a “Sous Vide” cooker for home. I think the two are a perfect match. We cook up steaks, chicken, shrimp, fish all on the rare side in the Sous vide, then freeze them and finish them on the disc. If you’ve tried to cook thick cuts of meat on the disc you’ll appreciate the Sous vide also. We were out again this past weekend and had burgers, shrimp, and steak with a bunch of veggies with each. Awesome. After you get a dome for your disc a Sous vide should be on your list.
Awesome! I’ve been wanting a Sous Vide cooker for a while now. I’ve been watching “Sous Vide everything” on YouTube. Great stuff on there.

naysjp

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Renay
Last Name
Johnson
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6DHG
Those of you using the coleman single burner with these, how are you securing the burner under the stove?
Some people use a horse shoe welded under the disc. I use a paella burner on legs. I just burned mine off last week using the paella burner and instead of the hot spot being in the middle, mine does a ring burn so I think it will be a bit more easy to cook on instead of the hot spot in the middle.

Reactions: Graeman and Shamu

Phessor

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Arizona, USA
First Name
Daryl
Last Name
Madrid
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DTM
From last weekend cooking breakfast on my 22" Angel Fire Southwest Discada in the background.
20190901_072649.jpg

Reactions: KerrClan74

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
C’mon guys, there is no such thing as a “plow disc” it’s either a plow or a disc. True, I’m a bit a-/- retentive but not let’s slaughter the definition of things.. here are plows, an old walk behind drawn by horse, mule or oxen, and two modern plows, an enormous 6 bottom reversible plow and a smaller two bottom plow to be drawn by a smaller tractor.. LOL 5106179C-1F55-48F9-A475-2015BD5FBF9D.jpeg63B703AF-6BA7-47F7-9A3A-9048D6A7C209.jpegB6F9EEB8-BA3C-4A24-B00A-46F2E937A829.jpeg

Contributor I

Rogers, Arkansas, USA
First Name
Braden
Last Name
King
Member #

C’mon guys, there is no such thing as a “plow disc” it’s either a plow or a disc. True, I’m a bit a-/- retentive but not let’s slaughter the definition of things.. here are plows, an old walk behind drawn by horse, mule or oxen, and two modern plows, an enormous 6 bottom reversible plow and a smaller two bottom plow to be drawn by a smaller tractor.. LOL View attachment 116547View attachment 116548View attachment 116549
Look up a Disk Harrow, it is a piece of plowing equipment that we use to till the farms and bring up unwanted roots and weeds before planting our crops. Some of the discs are perfectly round, while the ones we use here since it is rocky have teeth that end up wearing down into a circle. Just a little lesson on where the Plow Disc comes from, its name fits. No butchering here.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Look up a Disk Harrow, it is a piece of plowing equipment that we use to till the farms and bring up unwanted roots and weeds before planting our crops. Some of the discs are perfectly round, while the ones we use here since it is rocky have teeth that end up wearing down into a circle. Just a little lesson on where the Plow Disc comes from, its name fits. No butchering here.
We always plowed then disced. Harrows had discs but I’d never seen the two terms intertwined. Plow, Disc, Harrow, ( spring tooth or disc) .. sometimes there was a disc in front of the plow for cutting the soil, that disc was not concave/convex and it may have been called a plow disc. Then again, I’ve been out of farming for 40 years, things change I suppose.

brianb2

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Charlotte, NC
Member #

If you’re considering getting it from Agrisupply consider their disc cooker. $30 and it’s plenty big. Handles are useful also.

Reactions: bgenlvtex

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

If you’re considering getting it from Agrisupply consider their disc cooker. $30 and it’s plenty big. Handles are useful also.

Yep, although I prefer it not to have handles, they take up space.

A pair of vise grips is how I have always handled mine. Even still, if you want one and can't weld, you can always remove the handles and it's still a fair deal.

Truckee

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Bay Area, CA
C’mon guys, there is no such thing as a “plow disc” it’s either a plow or a disc. True, I’m a bit a-/- retentive but not let’s slaughter the definition of things.. here are plows, an old walk behind drawn by horse, mule or oxen, and two modern plows, an enormous 6 bottom reversible plow and a smaller two bottom plow to be drawn by a smaller tractor.. LOL
I've never worked in agriculture but I'm pretty sure a plough/plow comes in different forms... including a disc.

Reactions: MOAK

jim lee

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Anacortes, WA
Member #

Used to drive an old Cat D2 and "disk" fields as a kid. Plows, harrows, rollers and disks were all different tools. But, if you step back 100 yards, it all kinda' blurs into the same thing don't it?

It doesn't matter what it really was called. People are now calling it a plow disk cooker and you're not going to be able to fight the tide.

-jim lee