Plow Disc Cooking

• HTML tutorial

brianb2

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Charlotte, NC
Member #

Nice, I think i grabbed the 22” one. Mine has handles. I used 3 pieces of 3/4” EMT and made a tripod and used some cable to lock it to the right tripod diameter. I’m using a Coleman single burner from Walmart to heat it.

Packs up small and I’ve had a blast cooking on it over the weekend. Dinner(steaks, chicken, veggies) Breakfast(pancakes, eggs, cinnamon rolls, bacon). I understand why folks enjoy cooking on these.

jim lee

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Anacortes, WA
Member #

Nice, I think i grabbed the 22” one. Mine has handles. I used 3 pieces of 3/4” EMT and made a tripod and used some cable to lock it to the right tripod diameter. I’m using a Coleman single burner from Walmart to heat it.

Packs up small and I’ve had a blast cooking on it over the weekend. Dinner(steaks, chicken, veggies) Breakfast(pancakes, eggs, cinnamon rolls, bacon). I understand why folks enjoy cooking on these.

Nice fabrication. Looks store-bought!

-jim lee

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Yup guys - there is a local farmer here selling a set of 24 disks for 5 bucks apiece, one of em, or all of em. Use even a high priced fire source such as the MSR Dragonfly, a tiny bit of ingenuity, just a tiny bit, and you've built yourself a skottle. (er disk cooker), for half the price of the skottle. I think one would work really well atop our tri-fuel Volcano grill. That would bring it down to the $10 range. But just how would you pack in something round, sharp edged and frisbee like, that is 20 to 30"s ?

Reactions: 9Mike2

Pappy

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lexington NC.
Member #

If it has a sharp edge grind it down a litte. I have a diy trailer and strap it down on top of the table and that's working for now. Do it and don't look back it's a lot of fun to cook on.

naysjp

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Renay
Last Name
Johnson
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6DHG
Thread resurrection. I don't have $300 to spend on a Tembo Tusk (nice item for sure) so I found an 18" plow disc from a store owner who has an organic farm in Valley Center, CA. Cleaned it up with distilled vinegar. I paid a mobile welder to patch the hole up and cleaned it up with a grinder and sander. I got the paella burner at a low price. I don't weld and paying someone to weld things on the bottom to hold the propane bottle would have added costs to the project. I'm happy with it as I don't a lot of DIY projects.IMG_3282.JPGIMG_3284.JPG

Last edited:

SilverSurferJKU

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Calgary Alberta
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Boksteyn
Member #

That looks perfect!!! I’m of the same way of thinking. If you can make it cheaper with the similar end result, way not! Plow disks are a dime a dozen.

lacofdfireman

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Member #

Going to look for a Tembo tusk at Overland Expo West this coming weekend. If the price is decent I’ll buy one. If not I’ll just keep using a cast iron pan. Always wanted to try one. Love cooking.

naysjp

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Renay
Last Name
Johnson
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6DHG
Reactions: SilverSurferJKU

SLPNBG

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mechanicsville, Va
Member #

Big Kahuna burner ($75) is what I use with my SouthWest Disc 18" Madrid. The burner can do very low heat all the way up to 34000 BTU blast furnace. Also, the Madrid Disc is heavier/thicker gauge steel and distributes heat more evenly. Last, but not least, I can just set the disc off and use griddle plates, WOK, large boiler pot etc. with the Kahuna Burner-- talk about flexible.
Note to self "bring extra propane"

naysjp

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Renay
Last Name
Johnson
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6DHG
He's got the one with the lip on it. He should try paella. Mine is only 18" in diameter and has no lip so the contents would be hard to contain.

naysjp

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Renay
Last Name
Johnson
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6DHG
I’ve made a few plow skillets now and they are fun to make!
View attachment 99782View attachment 99783View attachment 99784
I’ve made a few plow skillets now and they are fun to make!
View attachment 99782View attachment 99783View attachment 99784
Man, you got a good grind on these things. I'd make another one if I could get my hands on a couple of more discs. Here in CA, you can't have them shipped from Tractor Supply so you gotta find a farm here that has them. The one farm owner who I got mine from won't return my emails.