Plow Disc Cooking

• HTML tutorial

buckwilk

Rank IV

Advocate II

yuma, az
There are some big dollar names out there producing these kits. I don't begrudge them in any way, it's just their product doesn't meet my needs or what I'm willing to budget. I have found multiple sources for the plow wok http://www.southwestdisk.com/18-madrid-discada/ and I have a Coleman single burner stove. I'm thinking some kind of support to set the disk on over the burner on top of the propane bottle on a table. I would like it to fold so as to minimize packing problems. Any ideas ?

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
A standard wok ring/wok rack might do the trick assuming it fits over the stove in a suitable way

Here's one on amazon for $7. Top diameter is 8 1/4", bottom diameter is 9 7/8": B00125P91C

buckwilk

Rank IV

Advocate II

yuma, az
A standard wok ring/wok rack might do the trick assuming it fits over the stove in a suitable way

Here's one on amazon for $7. Top diameter is 8 1/4", bottom diameter is 9 7/8": B00125P91C

I'm thinking too short, I have a single burner on top of a small propane bottle, so maybe 12 in. tall. add a couple inches for flame. I need something 14 or 15 inches high that can fold small. May have to fab something, I was hoping there might be something out there that I hadn't stumbled across.

Reactions: Poseidon

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
ah, yeah, i wondered if you meant single burner propane or single burner butane. i wonder if one of those pizza holders they put on the table at a pizza place to hold it above the drinks and such would be high enough? Might not be stable enough, though

Reactions: Migu

Randy P

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Oakley, CA
Member #

I made a Dutch Oven stand out of a plow disc and three legs of pipe. I'm sure you could use the same design to make a plow disc cooker.

2955778713_fb630fea87.jpg

do_disk_3.jpg

The pipe end is welded or drilled and bolted on to the plow disc. Then you attach legs of whatever length suits your needs. When you're done, unscrew the legs and it stores flat to take up less space.

To make it a cooker, choose legs long enough to make a comfortable cooking height and work well with your heat source (stove).

Randy

Tahoe.Adventures

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Corona, CA
Member #

There are some big dollar names out there producing these kits. I don't begrudge them in any way, it's just their product doesn't meet my needs or what I'm willing to budget. I have found multiple sources for the plow wok http://www.southwestdisk.com/18-madrid-discada/ and I have a Coleman single burner stove. I'm thinking some kind of support to set the disk on over the burner on top of the propane bottle on a table. I would like it to fold so as to minimize packing problems. Any ideas ?
I made a DIY version of the skottle with the Southwest disk 18 inch you linked. Total cost with the disk was about $80 or so. Ill add a pic of my setup shortly.

Big Willy Overland

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Knoxville, TN
Member #

Big Kahuna burner ($75) is what I use with my SouthWest Disc 18" Madrid. The burner can do very low heat all the way up to 34000 BTU blast furnace. Also, the Madrid Disc is heavier/thicker gauge steel and distributes heat more evenly. Last, but not least, I can just set the disc off and use griddle plates, WOK, large boiler pot etc. with the Kahuna Burner-- talk about flexible.

Attachments

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Big Kahuna burner ($75) is what I use with my SouthWest Disc 18" Madrid. The burner can do very low heat all the way up to 34000 BTU blast furnace. Also, the Madrid Disc is heavier/thicker gauge steel and distributes heat more evenly. Last, but not least, I can just set the disc off and use griddle plates, WOK, large boiler pot etc. with the Kahuna Burner-- talk about flexible.
Where did you find the Big Kahuna for $75? Seems like Amazon and other sources are $100 plus but come bundled with accessories.

Thanks

Big Willy Overland

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Knoxville, TN
Member #

Where did you find the Big Kahuna for $75? Seems like Amazon and other sources are $100 plus but come bundled with accessories.

Thanks
Nope-- you're right. I got it for $98 but had a discount code that I got from somewhere. Sorry about that pricing info. Still about half-off from a Skottle or similar from the other big name guys. That being said, the new Skottle that I saw at Overland Expedition East 2017 this last weekend was pretty cool-- and small--but almost $400.00

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Nope-- you're right. I got it for $98 but had a discount code that I got from somewhere. Sorry about that pricing info. Still about half-off from a Skottle or similar from the other big name guys. That being said, the new Skottle that I saw at Overland Expedition East 2017 this last weekend was pretty cool-- and small--but almost $400.00
Thanks. I like the Southwest disc better but trying to figure out what the best setup is and how to pack it.

Reactions: Tahoe.Adventures

Big Willy Overland

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Knoxville, TN
Member #

If you get the south west disc, BlueRidge Overland (the company that makes the bags for the Skottle from Tembo Tusk) has made me a custom bag for the Madrid 18" disc from SouthWest. They made one fro myself and my brother-- they should still have the pattern. I bought a "tupperware" box from Home Depot that holds everything-- I use it as a chuck box for all of my cooking stuff. You can use a cut-off wheel or dremel and take some material off of the Kahuna Burner to lighten it and reduce it's size as well.

Big Willy Overland

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Knoxville, TN
Member #

I'll be honest . . . as much as I like the disc-- its great at home or where I'll be feeding the multitudes :) I have pretty much switched over to Cast Iron now. I use a setup by CampMaid. It includes a lid lifter which is also ale to be used a s a grill and it all packs into a 12" dutch oven that doubles also works as a smoker, the 12" lid works as a small disc/fry pan and the dutch oven is both a dutch oven and smoker. Everything packs into the dutch oven and then it goes in a heavy duty carry case-- super versatile. They have some charcoal that is made from coconuts and burns super clean and hot-- lasts forever.

Reactions: Tahoe.Adventures

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

Im a big fan of my Tembo Tusk Skottle. I paid around $200 for the skottle, single burner, lid, and carrying bag for skottle and legs. It was a special at Overland Expo a couple of years ago. I love it!

Reactions: Poseidon