Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Thanks, @hardtrailz

I'd found the Amazon version, but it too is labeled as a model 1919, while all three colors of the one in the Academy link are model 1918 cases. I think I'll write to them and ask.

Thanks you!

[EDIT] Ah, I found the info I was after under the Q&A tab on the Academy site:

The Plano Storage Locker has the following dimensions:
37.8" x 14" x 18.2" (Exterior)
34.75" x 13.5" x 16" (interior)
The Plano® Storage Locker has a hinged lid
The Plano® Storage Locker is not waterproof

So, no o-ring (I didn't really expect one at this price, but ya never know.) and hinged lid, with two clamps on the opposite side and one on each end. (as opposed to the removable lid with two clamps on each side as shown in the Amazon link above and on Plano's page for the model 1919.

I just ordered three in gray. Thank you!

Last edited:

SLO Rob

Rank VI
Staff member
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder III

San Luis Obispo, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Petterson
Member #

I just grabbed one too. I think I can run a small bead of foam around it to help with dust too. Good deal. I appreciate the heads up on this!

hardtrailz

Rank V

Advocate II

Indiana
I have used the hinged ones..as in the picture...the 1819 without an oring and they went through some showers with little water penetration on the roof rack. That was at 70 mph as well. They seal decently but are not waterproof.

The pic in amazon link is the 1819 with the hinges, not sure why the description is not.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

(cross-posting in both Plano threads)

Three Plano Model 1819 Sportsman Storage Lockers arrived today. They fit perfectly in my Yakima LoadWarrior with the 18" extension. One of the cases was missing both wheels, so I sent off an email to Academy Sports asking for replacements.

(@administrator Can this thread and THIS thread be merged?

Last edited:

SLO Rob

Rank VI
Staff member
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder III

San Luis Obispo, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Petterson
Member #

@Steve how "dust proof" do the seals look? Is there anything like a soft ring in the inside or is it just plastic on plastic?

hidesertwheelin

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

High Desert, So Cal
Member #

@Steve how "dust proof" do the seals look? Is there anything like a soft ring in the inside or is it just plastic on plastic?
They are plastic on plastic, unless you get the o-ring for them. I read somewhere online that you could run a large beard of silicon in the channel on the lid and then let it dry and that it works well to seal the box up. I have not yet tried it so I can't tell you how well it works or if at all.

SLO Rob

Rank VI
Staff member
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder III

San Luis Obispo, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Petterson
Member #

They are plastic on plastic, unless you get the o-ring for them. I read somewhere online that you could run a large beard of silicon in the channel on the lid and then let it dry and that it works well to seal the box up. I have not yet tried it so I can't tell you how well it works or if at all.
Hey thanks...that's an interesting idea...

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

@SLO Rob, Like @hidesertwheelin says, it is not a sealed case. There is a bit of overlap sorta like this: (ignore the periods)

----------
.......---------
----------

I'm going to see if I can slip some self-adhesive foam over the center piece to help seal it. I'm guessing that the silicon mentioned above would go where the periods are in my awful sketch.

SLO Rob

Rank VI
Staff member
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder III

San Luis Obispo, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Petterson
Member #

My just got here today. I'm going to look at some foam or something too. That was a steal at academy.com. It's a nice box...I'm thinking I should have got another...

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Yup. These cases are water resistant, not waterproof. Also, not heavy duty. For heavy duty, you have to spend a lot more $$$. Make sense?

M

Reactions: SLO Rob

Spyduh

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bay Area
Member #

Bought 3 of these a few days ago. Got tired of waiting for a deal. The cheapest I found anywhere on the net. This is the water resistant Sportsman 1919 model with the gasket in black color.

https://jet.com/product/Plano-Molding-Black-Utility-Trunk37-34/e6a72d01a0564e28b8945992b3cfc7b1
$33.70 each if you buy 3 and if you opt out of free returns on this item and pay by debit card, you pay less.
Use the new customer JET Triple15 (15%) discount or find another 15% off discount code. Brings the price down to $85.94 shipped for 3. $28.65 each

If you wanted really wanted the OD Green color, you can buy them from Walmart for $97.78 total. $13 more total compared to the black color. https://www.walmart.com/ip/43586058

I'm cheap and $13 bucks saved went to me buying some more LED rock lights =)

Last edited:

SLO Rob

Rank VI
Staff member
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder III

San Luis Obispo, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Petterson
Member #

Last edited:
Reactions: murps

Crispy

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Redmond, OR, USA
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Crisp
Member #

I ordered two from academy.com as well. It's strange how the price keeps changing. It's like they raise the prices if demand goes up! Mine were $24.99 each, now they are $26.99. I plan on keeping them light weight so I can throw them on the roof. We are talking about sleeping bags, pillows, blankets, hammocks, tarps and the other will contain canned food, Mountain House, jerky, chips...
Recovery Gear is heavy, and stays in the truck.
I like the lower profile of this case for the roof. The only thing missing is stickers on these cases. I don't put stickers on the outside of my rig, so I'm planning on using the cases for stickers.

Reactions: SLO Rob and O.Dfj

SLO Rob

Rank VI
Staff member
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder III

San Luis Obispo, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Petterson
Member #

I'm thinking of getting a gun case and taking the foam out and using that for recovery gear storage. I really don't like much on my roof. Has anyone tried something like this?

Spyduh

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bay Area
Member #

I haven't found Plano cases cheaper than at www.academy.com I regret getting the trunk though. It's big, so too heavy when full, so it stays in the back instead of loading it on my rack. They also have marine boxes , which are pretty much the same accept for a fitted O ring.

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/plano-storage-locker#repChildCatid=3516443

View attachment 6330
That's a great price for a 1819. The one on Jet and Walmart is the heavy duty version 1919.

Crispy

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Redmond, OR, USA
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Crisp
Member #

That's a great price for a 1819. The one on Jet and Walmart is the heavy duty version 1919.
That is a good point. The 1819 and 1919 are different. The 1819 isn't as sturdy and has indentations unlike the 1919 which will be easier to pack and are heavy duty so you can sit or stand on them.

Spyduh

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bay Area
Member #

That is a good point. The 1819 and 1919 are different. The 1819 isn't as sturdy and has indentations unlike the 1919 which will be easier to pack and are heavy duty so you can sit or stand on them.
I stood on mine and while it holds my weight I wouldn't want to jump up and down the test how strong it is. I ran a small bead of silicone over the lid and it had a nice snug fit now. I'm guessing it will be fairly water resistant and will keep fine dust out.