• HTML tutorial

PePe

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Pincourt, Quebec
Member #

Hi guys,

New here. In October I will be driving down to Atlanta to visit some friends for a few days, going to spend a weekend in Nashville and then its off to Ashville for some mountain biking.

What are the fun touristy things to do? The do not miss? Best mtb trails?

After Ashville we wanted to try overlanding. What are your recommendations? My gf and I are very new to this.

Reactions: PB&Me

TN_Tacosupreme

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate I

Springfield, TN
Member #

Hey there, as far as Nashville goes there’s a bit of everything depending on your interests. Clubs, bars and Honky Tonks downtown Broadway and 1st areas. If you’re not into that there’s several craft beer places and restaurants also to choose from. If the Predators have a game that’d be a great time if you can get tix. Can’t forget the Opryland Hotel to walk around the conservatory’s pretty cool too. As far as the Overlanding goes, not sure of your skill level and rig capabilities but if you’re heading back I-40 from Asheville is Hurricane Creek. This is one of my favorite places and it runs from I-40 through the Smokies up to Max Patch which is awesome especially in the fall. Have fun and safe travels.

PePe

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Pincourt, Quebec
Member #

Predators is a great idea! Especially since we traded PK Subban. Tickets are going to be way cheaper then in Montreal.

My offroad capabilities are beginner. I have a Tacoma with a small lift and AT tires. Will I be ok without sliders?

TN_Tacosupreme

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate I

Springfield, TN
Member #

Predators is a great idea! Especially since we traded PK Subban. Tickets are going to be way cheaper then in Montreal.

My offroad capabilities are beginner. I have a Tacoma with a small lift and AT tires. Will I be ok without sliders?
We [emoji173]️ us some PK! Really straight up kinda dude. You could probably do Hurricane Creek ok but after thinking about it probably would be best to find someone to go with....hate to have you guys get stuck or twisted around and lost out there. But...you’ve got all sorts of back roads and stuff that runs through the Smokies and would be a nice trip to Gatlinburg area that time of year also.

agentorange76

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Asheville, NC
Member #

Tsali has some great mountain biking on shelf trails around lake Fontana. Some cool paddle in campsites near there too.

https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/3607752/tsali-left-and-right-loops-imba-epic

Bent Creek and Dupont also have some rad trails. Quick google search will point ya to some popular stuff. This is all arund Asheville btw.

Touristy near Asheville? Biltmore house. 8 billion craft breweries. Sliding rock, cradle of forestry ect up 276 corridor. Great Smokey Mt NP. Blue Ridge Parkway. Stiff crowds from the leaflookers. Lemme know what you're after and maybe I can help narrow it down.

PePe

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Pincourt, Quebec
Member #

little bit of everything. im a huge ipa fan. I found someone to show me around the mountain bike trails.

its my understanding also that you can pretty much camp where ever you want in the parks? I would really like to explore the park. Im sure the toyota navy will be terrible down there. I've noticed a lot of people using Gaia? Is it reliable down there? I looked at the trails in the member map. Didn't seem like there where to many of them. I doubt thats accurate. I wouldn't mind doing a little bit of offroad, but I dont have any sliders and being so far from home, I am very ok doing the super easy stuff.

agentorange76

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Asheville, NC
Member #

little bit of everything. im a huge ipa fan. I found someone to show me around the mountain bike trails.

its my understanding also that you can pretty much camp where ever you want in the parks? I would really like to explore the park. Im sure the toyota navy will be terrible down there. I've noticed a lot of people using Gaia? Is it reliable down there? I looked at the trails in the member map. Didn't seem like there where to many of them. I doubt thats accurate. I wouldn't mind doing a little bit of offroad, but I dont have any sliders and being so far from home, I am very ok doing the super easy stuff.
Depends what you mean by parks. GSMNP has tons of camping but its all hiking or paddle in unless you go campgrounds. Pisgah NF has tons of roadside camping, just obey the signs. Not too much off roading, but you can do all of it without sliders just fine. Hurricane creek is popular. Also Parsons Branch in GSMNP is a nice scenic ride. Can't speak to Gaia, I run paper maps. Take a tour of a big brewery like Sierra Nevada, or micro-brewery hop. Something a little different going on at every place. Literal hundreds of options.

Mike&Marianne

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Hendersonville TN
Member #

If you want to do trails between Atlanta and Nashville, off of Interstate 40 north of Chattanooga there are great trails in Prentice Cooper State Forest. The most popular is Haley Road, the state forest has maps of the roads open to OHV. I would have liked to supply you with links but being a new member I can't for another two days. If you do a web search for Prentice Cooper State Park the map is linked toward the bottom of the home page.

Logan_Gibson

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Central Alabama
Member #

You don't need sliders.
Most of the trails are just high clearance/gravel forest roads. Your tacoma will handle it all fine. Its hard to find a place more than 60 miles from civilization or someone in general.

If you're going to end in Ashville , then explore. Take a drive down the blue ridge parkway.

You can disperse camp in most of the National Forest, checkout their pages and it gives more detail.

GAIA or any other mapping app will work best with offline maps, you will end up with spotty service in some areas.

checkout this post: https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/a-couple-days-exploring-cherokee-pisgah-and-nantahala-natl-forest.12440/