LONO100

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Bay Area CA
First Name
Ken
Last Name
PXXXXXXX
Hi all, my wife and I are planning our first trip to Death Valley which will happen the week after thanksgiving. As it stands today, we have exactly 3 days and 2 nights to make our way from the Bay Area to the valley and back. I am still trying to work out a way where we can get one more night and day there making our trip 4 days and 3 nights so our plans may change, but we have a young child we are leaving at home with grandma so as it stands, 3/2 is the plan.

Since we are going in early December, I know that daylight will be limited, and I would like to make camp about an hour or two before dusk. After planning out an itinerary for the trip, on night one we should be right around the kit fox hills area in the late afternoon and I plan to make camp in this area. For the following morning, we plan to head down to Artist's drive, Badwater area and I am still up in the air as to where we plan to make camp for night two. Anyone with experience in Death Valley have any suggestions as to where to make camp on our second night? We should be in the Badwater part of the valley a few hours before dusk. We will be camping out of our truck. We will have plenty of water, food, power via batteries/inverter, and our own flush toilet and camp shower. I don't need room for a ground tent since we will be sleeping out of the bed of our truck (camper top), I just need room for a utility tent to put the toilet for the night. If anyone has suggestions for where to make camp near the kit fox hills area, and near Badwater I would really appreciate it. I'm primarily looking for a place that is legal to car camp, some space to set up a small utility tent, and somewhere safe from traffic.

This trip is for our wedding anniversary and we are planning to just go on our own so we can get some kid-free time together. We would like to see all the popular attractions like Titus canyon, artist's drive, Dante's peak, Badwater, Panamint springs, and Natural bridge. We plan to return in the spring with our family crew of overlanders and do a proper 4 wheel trip through Lippencot and Mengels, and would like to see Racetrack and Eureka for that trip. Are there any hidden gems in terms of sights or attractions that I may not have read about in books and the internet that I should swing by and check out?

Just for reference, my wife and I are experienced campers/hikers/overlanders with 20 years experience. We are not strangers to cold weather camping, but we have never been to Death Valley, so the more information we can get about visiting the park during early December would be really helpful. We will be traveling in a 2020 Ford F-150 Super Crew 4X4, 2" lift, on 33" Duratracs. We have radios and Satellite Messenger system on board. Thanks in advance everyone, can't wait to take this trip!

PortageBay

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Tucson, AZ United States
First Name
Bob
Last Name
McNamara
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KDØWBK
Hi all, my wife and I are planning our first trip to Death Valley which will happen the week after thanksgiving. As it stands today, we have exactly 3 days and 2 nights to make our way from the Bay Area to the valley and back. I am still trying to work out a way where we can get one more night and day there making our trip 4 days and 3 nights so our plans may change, but we have a young child we are leaving at home with grandma so as it stands, 3/2 is the plan.

Since we are going in early December, I know that daylight will be limited, and I would like to make camp about an hour or two before dusk. After planning out an itinerary for the trip, on night one we should be right around the kit fox hills area in the late afternoon and I plan to make camp in this area. For the following morning, we plan to head down to Artist's drive, Badwater area and I am still up in the air as to where we plan to make camp for night two. Anyone with experience in Death Valley have any suggestions as to where to make camp on our second night? We should be in the Badwater part of the valley a few hours before dusk. We will be camping out of our truck. We will have plenty of water, food, power via batteries/inverter, and our own flush toilet and camp shower. I don't need room for a ground tent since we will be sleeping out of the bed of our truck (camper top), I just need room for a utility tent to put the toilet for the night. If anyone has suggestions for where to make camp near the kit fox hills area, and near Badwater I would really appreciate it. I'm primarily looking for a place that is legal to car camp, some space to set up a small utility tent, and somewhere safe from traffic.

This trip is for our wedding anniversary and we are planning to just go on our own so we can get some kid-free time together. We would like to see all the popular attractions like Titus canyon, artist's drive, Dante's peak, Badwater, Panamint springs, and Natural bridge. We plan to return in the spring with our family crew of overlanders and do a proper 4 wheel trip through Lippencot and Mengels, and would like to see Racetrack and Eureka for that trip. Are there any hidden gems in terms of sights or attractions that I may not have read about in books and the internet that I should swing by and check out?

Just for reference, my wife and I are experienced campers/hikers/overlanders with 20 years experience. We are not strangers to cold weather camping, but we have never been to Death Valley, so the more information we can get about visiting the park during early December would be really helpful. We will be traveling in a 2020 Ford F-150 Super Crew 4X4, 2" lift, on 33" Duratracs. We have radios and Satellite Messenger system on board. Thanks in advance everyone, can't wait to take this trip!
I work for the park service in Death Valley and have been going there for 40 years. That being said, given that you are coming from the Bay Area and have a limited amount of time you might consider just exploring the north side of the park. DV is LARGE (3.5 million acres) and everything seems 100 miles away. If interested in option on the north side, let me know. Regarding camping in the Badwater area you have a few choices (I assume you are looking for dispersed camping and NOT regular campgrounds?) You could head south from Badwater to the Ibex Dunes area or, if that is too far away, head over to the West Side RD. Dispersed camping is not allowed on West Side RD but there are several roads head west of the the road, as soon as you are 1 mile off of West Side Rd your good to camp. Closest options would be Warm Spring Canyon, Queen of Sheba or Galena Canyon. If you want to be closer to Furnace Creek the only real options are Echo Canyon or Hole in the Wall (remember, you need to be one mile from the pavement to camp and stay within 50 feet of the road centerline or you'll be in designated wilderness. Best to camp in a disturbed site. Honestly, Badwater and Artist Drive, while interesting, are not the best areas to get away from the crowds and camp. You are picking a great time to go, Thanksgiving to Xmas are historically very quiet in all the parks (although with COVID all the norms are changing). Let me know if you have any questions or would like any GPX files or other ideas! (bob@bobmcnamara.com)

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

As PortageBay says, Death Valley is LARGE, larger than you think and things are farther apart than you think. Plus the drive down is long. I usually camp first night at Trona Pinnacles after stocking up in Ridgecrest. I don't know any places at Kit Fox Hills to camp. but you probably could get away with it at Old Stove Pipe Wells parking lot. Down by Badwater the Queen of Sheba Mine has a nice view at night, but the road was very bumpy last time I was there, 2014.
Fuel is very expensive in the Park. From the West Olancha/Trona are the last place to refuel, drive in and see Panamint Springs, Dunes go to Visitors Center at Furnace Creek on your way to Badwater, Dante's View, camp at Queen of Sheba. In the morning head North on Westside Rd, See Zabriskie Pt. Go over Daylight Pass to Beatty and refuel. Head back to the Park, this time take Titus Canyon. Got more time? Head over to Marble Canyon, the road is just past Stovepipe store and it's quite a ways. Off 190 between Stovepipe and the pass to Panamint Valley is Emigrant Campground. That might work for you. Refuel again in Olancha. HTH

LONO100

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Bay Area CA
First Name
Ken
Last Name
PXXXXXXX
Wow, thank you guys. This is exactly the kind of information from experienced people I was looking for. As soon as I get to my office this morning, I'm going to take a look at all the places you guys have mentioned and calculate drive times to see if they fit my plans. I'll be back with more questions later today.

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

I was thinking last night more about this. (Ooohh No, Mr Billll!) check this route out;
Day 1 to Emigrant camp
Day 2 to Furnace Creek visitor center do Badwater and Dante's View, Zabriskie Point camp at Talc City on your way out
Day 3 drive home

If you have 2 drivers and can sleep/drive on the way down and back (leave early, get home late) that will give you more time down there, otherwise you might not have enough time to see the things you want to. Basically driving to and from in the daylight gives you 1 day there. Sunset then will be roughly 5:30, Sunrise 7:00. Drive time to Furnace Creek from San Jose is 7.7-8 hrs.

I know you have thought all this out too, just helps me sometimes to put it in writing while I am planning. Kinda like taking notes in school.

Pick Grandma up a nic nac in Stovepipe or Panamint Springs.

Reactions: k9sar and LONO100

PortageBay

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Tucson, AZ United States
First Name
Bob
Last Name
McNamara
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KDØWBK
Emigrant Camp = Parking lot next to the highway. Avoid if possible! At least drive a little further to Stovepipe Wells and camp there or, better yet, turn left at Stovepipe Wells and drive out Marble Canyon road (you can camp AFTER you drop down into the wash, about 8 miles off pavement). Also: know that the Visitor's Center is closed (they will take your entry fee there and give you a map but the center itself is closed).

Reactions: k9sar

LONO100

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Bay Area CA
First Name
Ken
Last Name
PXXXXXXX
So here is a rough draft of an itinerary based on our time available, daylight hours, and some of the sights we would like to check out. This is by no means set in stone. I do have another draft where we end up on the Northern end of the park, exploring the Eureka dunes and Racetrack areas.

DEC 3
0200 - departing the Bay Area, taking 5S to toward Bakersfield, going East from there and aiming for Panamint Springs I plan to top off somewhere near Searles Valley to top off the tank.

1100 - stopping at Stovepipe Wells to check into park, and stretch our legs. I also plan to top off once more here. I have a 36 gallon tank on my truck and can do 550-580 per tank plus my 5 gallon jerry can. This should give us plenty of range and then some for our time in the park.

1200 - enter Titus Canyon and run it's entirety

1530 - land somewhere near Kitfox Hills and find a place to set up camp for the night. I saw ayoutube video where a couple was set up there and it looked wide open. It appears this is where we would be at 1530, about the time I would like to set up camp.

DEC 4
0600 - breakfast, chill get ready for the day, break down camp and head toward Badwater area of the park. Google maps says 30-40 minute drive from Kitfox to Badwater

0800 - check out Badwater Basin, Artist's drive, Natural Bridge, possibly Dante's View, Devil's Golf Course

1530 - set up camp for night #2, but not sure where at this point

DEC 5
0600 - breakfast, chill, get ready for the morning and the trip home

0800 1000 - TBD

1000 - We would like to be exiting the Park through Panamint Springs, and then check out Darwin Falls on the way out

1130 - on the road headed back home. CAVEAT: My wife wants to visit a shop in Bakersfield so we need to be in Bakersfield by mid afternoon on this day. Google maps says 3 hours from Panamint area to Bakersfield.

2200 - back in the Bay Area

Again, this is a rough itinerary. I chose these places to visit as they are locations that should be a little warmer than up toward Telescope or the Kiln during December. We don't plan on doing too much 4 wheeling and would like to save some of the trails for the spring when we plan to return with the rest of our family and a few more vehicles and support as well as a few more days to explore. I thought about coming in via the 395, but the weather may make it more practical to come in via Bakersfield instead of coming in from the Sierra side. I really want to check out this Bakery in Bishop, but we may have to save that spot for the spring when we plan to come in on the 395.

Does this plan seem realistic/feasible? I am open to all suggestions from all with experience in Death Valley, all of your thoughts are welcome! And thanks again to everyone who has given me all of the great info.

Last edited:

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

Well, besides Dec 3 being a long day I think it's feasable. Roughly 10 hours driving from SJ to Beatty, Titus Canyon and finish at Old Stovepipe Wells (just for reference). You'll sleep good! By the way Emmigrant Camp isn't that bad since there isn't a whole lot of traffic and it has a restroom that may be closed due to the Pandemic. Keep an eye on the weather forecast for the Tehachpi's, it can snow there.

Reactions: LONO100

PortageBay

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Tucson, AZ United States
First Name
Bob
Last Name
McNamara
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KDØWBK
I'll give you my 2 cents (and worth it!) in the order of your itinerary (and maybe keep you out of some trouble).

Your first gas option as you enter the park via 190 from the west is Panamint Springs, also the most expensive. If you can make it to Stovepipe Wells it will be a bit cheaper but they only have regular (no diesel or premium).

Running Titus is a great choice, leave some time to explore Rhyolite before you hit Titus and explore Leadfield half way to the canyon. In the narrows (lower part) keep an eye up on the canyon walls, you could see some sheep.

Kit Fox Hills is an absolute NO-GO for camping. You may have seen a YouTube video of it but I promise you , if caught , big fines! I've seen plenty of illegal stuff in Death Valley on YouTube (gathering firewood, flying drones, etc). There is NO dispersed camping on or near the main valley floor.

I would recommend driving up into Marble Canyon (out of Stove Pipe Wells). Much nicer, more remote. Or if night is falling by the time you are out of Titus, just crash at Stovepipe Wells campground. Nice bar/restaurant across the street.

2nd day sounds like your hitting all the main highlights of the park that we send folks in rental cars. Very much worth it. Be sure to walk out a long way at Badwater to see the salt formations and get away from the trampled part. Also, get out of the truck on Artist's Drive and walk into the palette area.

The drive from Badwater up to Dante's View will eat up half your daylight.. remember these are NOT highway miles your driving. I'd skip Dantes and consider the Golden Canyon/Gower Wash hiking loop near The Artist's Drive or if hiking isn't your thing, Zabrinski Point is a must see and the nearby 20 Mule Team Drive is short and spectacular. Drive Echo Canyon in to Schwab City ghost Town for some fun/easy 4WD time. ( you could also camp in Echo Canyon that night, just be sure you are 1 mile from pavement, within 50 feet from the centerline of the dirt road and not too close to the ghost town, LOTS of great spots to disperse camp!)

My main tip is this: I've been going to DV for 40 years. People ask why I keep going back, it's easy, there's just TOO much here to see it all. I spent much of my youth in the 70's driving my FJ40 all over the park, trying to do too much and seeing too little other than road miles.

Hope you get a good taste and come back for more (there's so much more).

Bob

Last edited:

LONO100

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Bay Area CA
First Name
Ken
Last Name
PXXXXXXX
Well, besides Dec 3 being a long day I think it's feasable. Roughly 10 hours driving from SJ to Beatty, Titus Canyon and finish at Old Stovepipe Wells (just for reference). You'll sleep good! By the way Emmigrant Camp isn't that bad since there isn't a whole lot of traffic and it has a restroom that may be closed due to the Pandemic. Keep an eye on the weather forecast for the Tehachpi's, it can snow there.
Yeah that drive in is gonna be a challene, but I've pulled this type of a day off more than once. I may set up at Emigrant if I can make it there before it gets dark.

LONO100

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Bay Area CA
First Name
Ken
Last Name
PXXXXXXX
I'll give you my 2 cents (and worth it!) in the order of your itinerary (and maybe keep you out of some trouble).

Your first gas option as you enter the park via 190 from the west is Panamint Springs, also the most expensive. If you can make it to Stovepipe Wells it will be a bit cheaper but they only have regular (no diesel or premium).

Running Titus is a great choice, leave some time to explore Rhyolite before you hit Titus and explore Leadfield half way to the canyon. In the narrows (lower part) keep an eye up on the canyon walls, you could see some sheep.

Kit Fox Hills is an absolute NO-GO for camping. You may have seen a YouTube video of it but I promise you , if caught , big fines! I've seen plenty of illegal stuff in Death Valley on YouTube (gathering firewood, flying drones, etc). There is NO dispersed camping on or near the main valley floor.

I would recommend driving up into Marble Canyon (out of Stove Pipe Wells). Much nicer, more remote. Or if night is falling by the time you are out of Titus, just crash at Stovepipe Wells campground. Nice bar/restaurant across the street.

2nd day sounds like your hitting all the main highlights of the park that we send folks in rental cars. Very much worth it. Be sure to walk out a long way at Badwater to see the salt formations and get away from the trampled part. Also, get out of the truck on Artist's Drive and walk into the palette area.

The drive from Badwater up to Dante's View will eat up half your daylight.. remember these are NOT highway miles your driving. I'd skip Dantes and consider the Golden Canyon/Gower Wash hiking loop near The Artist's Drive or if hiking isn't your thing, Zabrinski Point is a must see and the nearby 20 Mule Team Drive is short and spectacular. Drive Echo Canyon in to Schwab City ghost Town for some fun/easy 4WD time. ( you could also camp in Echo Canyon that night, just be sure you are 1 mile from pavement, within 50 feet from the centerline of the dirt road and not too close to the ghost town, LOTS of great spots to disperse camp!)

My main tip is this: I've been going to DV for 40 years. People ask why I keep going back, it's easy, there's just TOO much here to see it all. I spent much of my youth in the 70's driving my FJ40 all over the park, trying to do too much and seeing too little other than road miles.

Hope you get a good taste and come back for more (there's so much more).

Bob
thanks for the heads up on KITFOX HILLS. I saw that video, and then I checked Kitfox against a list of no-camping roads and areas I pulled from the Natparks website and I didn't see Kitfox so I thought it was good to go. I will look into other areas for night one. thank you!

Louiston

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

USA
First Name
Lou
Last Name
N/A
Emigrant Camp = Parking lot next to the highway. Avoid if possible! At least drive a little further to Stovepipe Wells and camp there or, better yet, turn left at Stovepipe Wells and drive out Marble Canyon road (you can camp AFTER you drop down into the wash, about 8 miles off pavement). Also: know that the Visitor's Center is closed (they will take your entry fee there and give you a map but the center itself is closed).
Emigrant is a FAR better place to camp versus that Walmart size, baron dirt field (even by Death Valley standards), overpopulated camp ground in Stovepipe Wells.

Photos of Emigrant Campground
IMG_1074.JPG

IMG_0255.jpg

Echo Canyon dispersed camping
IMG_0235.JPG

And Panamint Springs is right where the road disappears behind the bluff ...............
IMG_1073.JPG

Last edited:

janders

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Seattle, WA, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Andersen
DEC 3
0200 - departing the Bay Area, taking 5S to toward Bakersfield, going East from there and aiming for Panamint Springs I plan to top off somewhere near Searles Valley to top off the tank.

1100 - stopping at Stovepipe Wells to check into park, and stretch our legs. I also plan to top off once more here. I have a 36 gallon tank on my truck and can do 550-580 per tank plus my 5 gallon jerry can. This should give us plenty of range and then some for our time in the park.

1200 - enter Titus Canyon and run it's entirety
If you're going to run Titus Canyon anyways, you'll save yourself a bunch of money by fueling up in Beatty, NV instead of Stovepipe Wells. Beatty is just down the road a bit from the Titus Canyon trailhead.

KrelleKryl

Rank III

Advocate I

San Diego, CA
First Name
Kristian
Last Name
Andersen
Agree with pretty much everything here, but just my 2 cents - don't miss Zabriskie Point and Dante's View - they're both phenomenal. Zabriskie Point you'll drive right past, so that's easy not to miss, but I'd make the drive to Dante's View as well (especially if you're coming straight from Badwater - it's cool to see the contrast). To buy time, I'd skip Natural Bridge and honestly I'm not all that keen on Artist's drive (I mean, it's fine, but if you have to buy some time, that's the one I'd skip).

Stovepipe Wells vs Panamint Springs for gas - much much cheaper at Stovepipe (I think a full $3 / gallon last time I was there). A lot of really great dispersed as you exit Panamint Springs too - e.g., around here: 36°23'20.4"N 117°23'41.3"W

Mike G

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

San Jose, CA
Member #

For your 2nd night, check out Gold Valley Road. I took this route for a day trip last April 2019. The road is pretty easy, hardly any washboards. It’s about 20 miles from Dante’s View Road via Greenwater Valley Road.

1C78674D-9136-4BA9-8ACA-03AC07EC161B.jpeg

Mike G

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

San Jose, CA
Member #

Also buy the SUV Death Valley Book by Roger Mitchell. He has two books out, one published in 2001, which I have and is a good book. 2nd one published in 2006.

44EC63F1-8966-42EC-B628-945626FB89C4.jpeg

LONO100

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Bay Area CA
First Name
Ken
Last Name
PXXXXXXX
My God, thank you everyone for all the responses and information. This is amazing. I'm so glad I am getting advice and info from people who have already been out there, I cannot wait to go on this trip. I am still trying to figure out a way to stretch this trip by one more night, but we will see. I am going to digest all of this and post a second draft of my trip itinerary. Thanks again everyone, I really appreciate it.