Launch Member

Member III

Palm Harbor FL
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Stepkoski
Member #

So first thank you for all the help. I have changed up my itinerary a bit due to the incredible winter Colorado is having. ALSO some of you folks have helped educate the now Floridian who never thought there would be snow in June!! Just seems crazy but it puts the elevation in perspective. It looks highly unlikely that I will be wheeling that much in Colorado. We are going to see some friends in the Boulder area and do some hiking for a few days. Also instead of crossing CO and doing some off-road we are going to spend the remainder of the time in the greater MOAB area. We will be spending about 4 nights in all there. Thank you to MtManAlex and danhiggins for the suggestions. I will be doing some exploring the first week of June. On the way home it looks like we are going South to SantaFe, NM for a night and then on to Dallas on the way home.

I just purchased:
  1. a new rear drive shaft from Adam's drive shaft to match the front.
  2. 2 MTM ammo boxes for the rear Rock Hard Offroad Basket, (2 fit perfectly and will not be even with the soft top roof line) Recovery equipment and compressor
  3. 2 small MTM ammo boxes for fluids and tools
  4. I built a divider (think Tuffy Security Deck) out of some 3ply ply wood. I covered it with some carpet added some AL angle iron for tie down purposes, and it came out very nice. The Tuffy deck will not fit when you rock the seats back to make them more comfortable for the kids.
I still have to go over the Jeep and put a wrench on every bolt in the suspension and make sure the joints are all good as well. I am getting pretty stoked about this. Please keep the suggestions coming and if you are around and want to come with let me know.

STEP

Stepsride

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Palm Harbor FL
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Stepkoski
Member #

I am looking to book some places for the June trip to Moab. Any places that I should look at? We are using VRBO and checking it out. Seems to be a lot available. All very nice places. The trails in Moab that we are going to hit are very family friendly. I want to make sure my family is not scared. I want them to have fun. So far:
Fins and Things
Deadman's Point
Hells Revenge
Sevenmile Rim trail

Again you can see a little challenge high on scenery. That is what we are looking for. Suggestions would be great. The Jeep is more than capable however it is about the scenery this time with some challenge.

MtnManAlex

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

I am looking to book some places for the June trip to Moab. Any places that I should look at? We are using VRBO and checking it out. Seems to be a lot available. All very nice places. The trails in Moab that we are going to hit are very family friendly. I want to make sure my family is not scared. I want them to have fun. So far:
Fins and Things
Deadman's Point
Hells Revenge
Sevenmile Rim trail

Again you can see a little challenge high on scenery. That is what we are looking for. Suggestions would be great. The Jeep is more than capable however it is about the scenery this time with some challenge.
Sounds like a fun plan so far! I live in the Boulder area. Things are finally warming up around here (except for the snow a couple of days ago).

I can't help much with the booking or VRBO. I either camp or use hotel points so my experience is limited to a handful of hotels. I can say the Mainstay Suites are nice with a full kitchenette and the Quality Inn is nice enough and also allows dogs.

Those look like some good/smart trail choices. Poison Spider is another good one with excellent views. If you take on Fins and Things and Hell's Revenge and still want more challenge it's a good trail.

I've been the "tour guide" for my wife's family a few times in Moab. For the sake of sight-seeing and being family friendly, I take them through Arches (early before the crowds) with either the Delicate Arch hike or Primitive Loop hike. The I take the Willow Springs 4x4 trail out the back side of the park to The Gemini Bridges 4x4 trail which has great views and some fun sand driving. The Gemini Bridges are naturally formed bridges the kids/family can walk across--years ago it was possible to drive across, but someone fell off. Gemini Bridges finishes close to the entrance of the Island in the Sky district of Canyonlands National Park. This area has the famous Mesa Arch viewpoint and the sunset from the Grand Viewpoint is awesome. This plan makes for a long day and could easily be split into two days. So far everyone I've taken has enjoyed this itinerary as a not-overly-touristy intro/overview of the area.

Another random activity for the family is visiting Lin Ottinger's Rock Shop (on the North end of the main drag in Moab). Lin has been collecting rocks and dinosaur bones in Moab for the better part of a century. He has discovered new dinosaur species and even has a nearly complete brontosaurus femur for sale for $4,000,000 (cash only). I think it's worth a stop.

Reactions: Stepsride

MtnManAlex

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Fins and Things
Deadman's Point
Hells Revenge
Sevenmile Rim trail

Oh yeah, I also highly recommend the Hurrah Pass trail. It is easier than the trails you mentioned and the views are some of the best. I got this picture out there.moab 2.jpg

Stepsride

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Palm Harbor FL
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Stepkoski
Member #

Sounds like a fun plan so far! I live in the Boulder area. Things are finally warming up around here (except for the snow a couple of days ago).

I can't help much with the booking or VRBO. I either camp or use hotel points so my experience is limited to a handful of hotels. I can say the Mainstay Suites are nice with a full kitchenette and the Quality Inn is nice enough and also allows dogs.

Those look like some good/smart trail choices. Poison Spider is another good one with excellent views. If you take on Fins and Things and Hell's Revenge and still want more challenge it's a good trail.

I've been the "tour guide" for my wife's family a few times in Moab. For the sake of sight-seeing and being family friendly, I take them through Arches (early before the crowds) with either the Delicate Arch hike or Primitive Loop hike. The I take the Willow Springs 4x4 trail out the back side of the park to The Gemini Bridges 4x4 trail which has great views and some fun sand driving. The Gemini Bridges are naturally formed bridges the kids/family can walk across--years ago it was possible to drive across, but someone fell off. Gemini Bridges finishes close to the entrance of the Island in the Sky district of Canyonlands National Park. This area has the famous Mesa Arch viewpoint and the sunset from the Grand Viewpoint is awesome. This plan makes for a long day and could easily be split into two days. So far everyone I've taken has enjoyed this itinerary as a not-overly-touristy intro/overview of the area.

Another random activity for the family is visiting Lin Ottinger's Rock Shop (on the North end of the main drag in Moab). Lin has been collecting rocks and dinosaur bones in Moab for the better part of a century. He has discovered new dinosaur species and even has a nearly complete brontosaurus femur for sale for $4,000,000 (cash only). I think it's worth a stop.
Thank you for that great info. Much appreciated!!

Reactions: MtnManAlex

freedomomelet

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Nebraska
Launch Member

Influencer I

Springfield, NE
Member #

Watching this thread as well. Keep the great information coming and I will post what items I find in my research! My goal at the moment is to do a Utah trip in October this year. Moab, Arches, Grand Staircase, Capital Reef etc. Goal is to do as most as I can via trails.

Reactions: Stepsride

Stepsride

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Palm Harbor FL
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Stepkoski
Member #

Watching this thread as well. Keep the great information coming and I will post what items I find in my research! My goal at the moment is to do a Utah trip in October this year. Moab, Arches, Grand Staircase, Capital Reef etc. Goal is to do as most as I can via trails.
I plan on posting some things up on the thread: Pics, some youtube stuff, and in general what I would do again or do over. Might help you out

Reactions: freedomomelet

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

I just got back from exploring some of the trails out there and for family friendly trails and jaw dropping views I recommend Hurrah Pass and Onion Creek Trail/Road. Gemini Bridges has a lot to offer too. The OHV park trails are not what I'd call scenic and while challenging the pace due to traffic is annoying. I couldn't wait to get off Hell's Revenge. I'll take Metal Masher Trail over Hell's any day of the week.

Onion Creek area

Chicken Corners

Hurrah Pass

View at the top of Metal Masher

Semonster

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Columbus, OH, USA
First Name
Zachary
Last Name
Segraves
Member #

Just checking in, my wife and I driving out for the weekend later this month. Thanks for the awesome info everyone!

Been living in Utah for over a year now and this will be our first Moab trip. Can’t believe it has taken us this long! Too much work and not enough adventure. :pensive:

Reactions: JCWages