Member #

Last edited:

Rattler

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bay City, MI
Great thread!

Being I live by the Saginaw River which is fed by Lake Huron, I have always been fascinated with the Great Lakes freighters. I started shooting them many years ago with a little point and shoot. When I bought a DSLR back in '12, I stepped up my game. My favorite is catching them at night.

This is one I took just last week on a 15 degree and snowing night. I didn't know at the time but it was the Algoway's last load anywhere. I am sure by now the have already started cutting her up for scrap. I looked through my photos and I have taken her picture many times over the years.

I also love finding old abandoned houses and cars. I had the chance to shoot a salvage yard that was more like a time machine. It took me some talking and convincing to get in there. I knew there was some neat stuff in there but I had no idea to what scale. I could easily fill 6 pages of photos I took there. None is for sale. It was hard to choose one photo to represent it but this may give an idea as to the magnitude as to what is in there. Part of the deal is I couldn't say where it is either so don't ask. For overlanding purposes, there were 2 FJ40s, 2 Jeep Scramblers, 1 Jeep Commando, and 7 varieties of International Harvesters. Almost 4 hours and 650 images captured while there.

I like to shoo the cars that are still running too. Cars from the 30s-60s with little if any modifications have been a real fav lately. I try to capture what sets that model or brand apart. I told the owner of this Century it belonds in a museum. It was gorgeous.

My "weapon of choice" is a Canon 70D with a Tokina 11-20 wide angle on it most of the time. Christophe Noel is slowly motivating me to take more street and people images though.

DesertFox

Rank III

Advocate II

California
Member #

Rattler, sweet pics. That freighter looks cool with the search lights piercing the night sky. Great Lakes ships deal with some extreme weather.

Sad to see that Pontiac GTO "The Judge" on the scrap heap. They were in production for only three years (69-71).

Cars had a lot more style back in the day.

More pics please. [emoji574] [emoji577] [emoji593] [emoji568] [emoji569]

Joey83

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Joachim
Last Name
Sandven
Member #

This Antonov 124 visited my local airport this afternoon

178 by Joachim Sandven, on Flickr

A KLM Boeing Dreamliner with beacon shots

176 by Joachim Sandven, on Flickr

Showing the updated and the older colors of the fleet

177 by Joachim Sandven, on Flickr

A Fokker 100 enjoying well deserved rest at the panorama terrace at Schiphol airport

175 by Joachim Sandven, on Flickr