Marin County
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Mazzon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BIF

We will be running trails around the Pinecrest Lake Area. Including Stanislaus canyon to Beardsley Lake and around Hell's Half Acre area and end up on Sonora Pass Road.

Trails are rated easy and this will be a Scenic laid back outing exploring trails I have not been on before.

Optional Sunday run which will be discussed with those going.

fly boy

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Marin County
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Mazzon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BIF
I'm also considering adding a Sunday run if participants are interested.

Last edited:

fly boy

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Marin County
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Mazzon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BIF
Ham radio is recommended but not required.

J&J Offroad

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Soulsbyville, CA 95372, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Kramer
Member #

We will be running trails around the Pinecrest Lake Area. Including Stanislaus canyon to Beardsley Lake and around Hell's Half Acre area and end up on Sonora Pass Road.

Trails are rated easy and this will be a Scenic laid back outing exploring trails I have not been on before.

Optional Sunday run which will be discussed with those going.

Hello! We live in Twain Harte on highway 108 and just a heads up that there is a ton of road damage up here on the forest service roads. Just be prepared for downed trees, washouts, and road closures (even on the easy roads). Have a great time - it’s a beautiful area!

fly boy

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Marin County
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Mazzon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BIF
Thanks for the heads up. I know the Forest Service isn't always the most accurate source of information, but I have run my trails by them and they indicate we should be OK. If your free and would like to join us, it would be nice to have your expertise along.

fly boy

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Marin County
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Mazzon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BIF
The trip is designed to skirt around the closed areas and stay on the opened trails.
Connecting with the Forest Service today they expect more trails to be opened by June 1st.
They think this is the nicest time of the year to come up. Less crowds and the weather is just about right.
They highly recommend taking the road up to the base of Sonora Pass as the scenery now is spectacular with huge snow drifts.

fly boy

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Marin County
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Mazzon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BIF
This sounds like a lot of fun and I wish I could join…Saturdays are difficult for me so I won’t be able to make it. If you ever decide to do this run again on a week day I could probably make it! But have fun, and please post pictures afterwards!
I do like to do weekday trips also, so maybe we can put something together. Justin

Reactions: JaredThomsen

JaredThomsen

Rank VI

Member III

Concord, Contra Costa County, California, United States
First Name
Jared
Last Name
Thomsen
Member #

This sounds like a lot of fun and I wish I could join…Saturdays are difficult for me so I won’t be able to make it. If you ever decide to do this run again on a week day I could probably make it! But have fun, and please post pictures afterwards!
I do like to do weekday trips also, so maybe we can put something together. Justin
That would be awesome!

fly boy

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Marin County
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Mazzon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BIF
This will be a good day trip to check out my new suspension.
Looking at your VW I think you should be in pretty good shape as far as ground clearance goes, maybe some scraping. Is it AWD with some recovery points?

fly boy

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Marin County
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Mazzon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BIF
GARY -

JUST A HEADS UP, WE CURRENTLY HAVE 6 JEEPS GOING. Although we will be on easier trails we will be looking to do some harder side trails (if we even find any) which may be above your capabilities. So you will have to wait for us, to return, too meet back up with you. If this might not work for you I understand. Let me know.

fly boy

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Marin County
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Mazzon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BIF
!!!! THIS RUN IS NOW CLOSED AT 7 VEHICLES !!!!

Gary T. CLARK

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Tracy, CA, USA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Clark
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JVX
Hello Justin,
Thank you for all heads-up.
This might give me the opportunity to try ( or not) some harder things that I might not try by myself.

The Touareg has a little over 13" ground clearance, under body protection and sliders.

It is AWD with Thorson style differentials, center and rear, of course, off-road electric traction control system.

I do have recovery points and gear.

fly boy

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Marin County
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Mazzon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BIF
Hi Gary-

Sounds like a more capable vehicle than I was expecting. Glad to hear you have recovery gear, which I hope includes a tow strap or something similar. Maybe we'll push you a little above your comfort zone. It will be fun.

FishFam_logs

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Livermore, CA, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Fisher
Good luck up there! We went out yesterday just to explore and hit up Columbia.
Made our way through Tuolumne, towards Cherry Lake. Hitting random FS roads along the way. Lots of blocked roads due to downed trees. Quite a few spots as well the road itself was an obstacle with water damage. You can tell everyone is trying to help out, cutting back trees, filling in roadways and re-establishing trail. Just gonna be a slow process this summer.

Still would have been fun to tag along if it wasn’t for the dance recitals.

Reactions: Advtres

fly boy

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Marin County
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Mazzon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BIF
Thanks for the heads up Scott. Cherry Lake was my backup plan.

Weim.Runner

Rank VI

World Traveler I

Oakland, CA, USA
First Name
Nicole
Last Name
Merchain
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
ask me :)
I would have loved to go on this trip but I’m hosting my sister’s bridal shower on the same day. Any chance you might do a similar trip this summer?

fly boy

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Marin County
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Mazzon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BIF
It's always possible, but no plans at this time.