Bella Vista, Ark
First Name
John
Last Name
Henley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5TTZ
A shot from a few years ago. My 1976 International Scout II pulling my 1976 Apache popup from San Diego, thru Colorado, to Georgia. Sure do miss that Rig!
I once had a 1980 International Scout II ... I loved that truck. Never ran well in the summer (couldn't handle the heat, for some strange reason), but it was rock solid in the snows of winter! I desperately miss my Scout!

P.S. Don't tell my X(terra)!

Reactions: Scout and PNW EXPLR

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

I once had a 1980 International Scout II ... I loved that truck. Never ran well in the summer (couldn't handle the heat, for some strange reason), but it was rock solid in the snows of winter! I desperately miss my Scout!

P.S. Don't tell my X(terra)!
What I've learned so far is that Scouts engine compartments get pretty hot. No way for air to escape. I could imagine hot summer temps don't help matters. I know this is true for the 800s and earlier. Not so sure about the II's though.

Itacal

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bella Vista, Ark
First Name
John
Last Name
Henley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5TTZ
That would actually explain a lot! When I say it "never ran well in summer," I mean, it ran terribly! But when winter came along, it ran great.

Last edited:

Brad Schauf

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Hey there's nothing wrong with a little glamping! (We also call it "gloverlanding". It'll be a thing, trust me.)

King Size Fox Airbed (Stands about 28" tall!)

Hot shower? No problem. 3.5 gallon water brick with Zodi hot water kit.

Luggable Loo inside a Browning privacy tent. "Babe, you've changed camping for me..." she said while... well, taking it for a test spin. @MamaBear
Would love to see the links/pictures - broken ?

Gloverlanding.... love it!

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Brad Schauf

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

We did that a little bit ago in our back yard, except the family had me set up the projector outside the Tent window and we watched movies all night. We may or may not have been on double thick queen Air mattresses at the time, watching movies on 120" projector screen, lol.

What's that phrase people use when they go camping but take everything from home with them? Glamaor camping or something? lol

And apparently 3D too! Nice!

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
View attachment 17261
Haha my missus doesn't do scorpions that's why we have the roof tent.
This picture is us camping under the stars at Wadi Rum in Jordan. The red light is a marker so I could find my way back in the dark after taking some pictures.
The white light is the Mrs checking for scorpians
Get a UV light to search for scorpions. They glow with UV and are real easy to spot.

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

Newtonhill, Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
A lunch time ritual on the trail....checking everything and making sure everything is tight.

I check all fluids every morning and do visual checks underneath and engine bay before we set off. I do weekly more involved checks, looking at bushes, tightening every nut and bolt I can get to with a spanner etc.
I run a diagnostic tool permanently connected so I can see problems hopefully before they become a big problem.
It’s “overlanders paranoia” but it has stood me in good stead over the last 23k miles, 3 continent 27 country trip 8 month trip.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: sabjku and T-88

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

Newtonhill, Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
I check all fluids every morning and do visual checks underneath and engine bay before we set off. I do weekly more involved checks, looking at bushes, tightening every nut and bolt I can get to with a spanner etc.
I run a diagnostic tool permanently connected so I can see problems hopefully before they become a big problem.
It’s “overlanders paranoia” but it has stood me in good stead over the last 23k miles, 3 continent 27 country trip 8 month trip.

And the result of all the checks is happy overlanders

Reactions: sabjku and T-88

Joey83

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Joachim
Last Name
Sandven
Member #

You are not wrong, Norway gets its fair share of snow up in the mountains, I live on the southwest coast which usually just gets rain, its simply to warm here to get any snow.