Influencer II

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Joachim
Last Name
Sandven
Member #

If money wasn't a problem?

Early 2000's (I like the looks of it) Chevy Silverado crewcab dually longbed with twin turbo setup, a "pap cap", long range fueltanks, steel bumpers with front and rear 16000lbs winches and a high quality audio setup.

Saints&Sailors

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

I like SUVs better. Never really had a need for a pickup and, when I do, you can rent one for $20 from Home Depot. I've only ever had my Jeep though so I'm obviously biased.

I also feel like every pickup on the road is two times larger than it needs to be. If I could find a decent compact pickup for a reasonable price, maybe I'd consider it but 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton trucks wouldn't fit down half of the trails we run without scratching the hell out of the paint.

robrtsmtn

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Aztec, NM
Member #

My pickups just keep getting bigger, crew cab 1ton dually, to pull the 5th wheel. I'm building this old ZJ as I can put a bunch of stuff in the back for extended trips, and it's nimble on smaller/tighter trails. They both have their purpose, but I've gotten a little specialized. I do recall in distant past putting the bumper of my full size long bed pickup against a tree and gunning it to spin around a tight spot. :)

Reactions: MBroenkow

Excursioner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Springfield, Oregon
First Name
Ex
Last Name
Cursioner
Member #

Just my opinion, but the Excursion is a fantastic platform for overland camping. If you don't have to have the 7.3 litre diesel, they are easy to find for reasonable cost used (bought mine with 140K for $8500). Built on the very stout F250 chasis, all of those F250 upgrades apply to the excursion. The Ex has tons of room and spare parts abound so you can beat the snot outta of them and fix it fairly cheap. I get 12.5 to 13 mpg in the ol girl and she has a big fuel tank, 44 gallons. You won't find me on the Rubicon trail, but i have been on every leg of the OBDR and WABDR with ease and that is the type of offroading I enjoy. I strive for a camping trip once a month, regardless of weather, and the Excursion has always kept us dry, comfortable and mobile.IMG_0439 (1).JPG

Jean Klaude The Jeep

Rank VI
Investor

Traveler III

Lexington, Henderson County, Tennessee, United States
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Shelby
Member #

Just my opinion, but the Excursion is a fantastic platform for overland camping. If you don't have to have the 7.3 litre diesel, they are easy to find for reasonable cost used (bought mine with 140K for $8500). Built on the very stout F250 chasis, all of those F250 upgrades apply to the excursion. The Ex has tons of room and spare parts abound so you can beat the snot outta of them and fix it fairly cheap. I get 12.5 to 13 mpg in the ol girl and she has a big fuel tank, 44 gallons. You won't find me on the Rubicon trail, but i have been on every leg of the OBDR and WABDR with ease and that is the type of offroading I enjoy. I strive for a camping trip once a month, regardless of weather, and the Excursion has always kept us dry, comfortable and mobile.View attachment 35692
I totally agree you just can't beat an SUV for overlanding (especially the Excursion, I have a 2004 6.0PSD), most pickup guys put a topper on the bed, making it an SUV. In my personal daily life I have a better use for a SUV than a pickup, if I need to haul something I just hook up to the trailer.

Overland Bound Member #6080
Follow us on Facebook, and Instagram

Reactions: Excursioner