Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

This is a question that I have asked my self a lot lately. I have owned both but only ever used an SUV for overloading since I like sleeping in the rig. But with some of the awesome solutions available that is becoming less of an issue (RTTs, Bed Solutions, Toppers, Light Campers, ETC).

I sold my Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins a few years back and bought a LX450 which was great in a lot of ways but like anything else has its weaknesses too (I won't tell what they are if you don't ;-) My LX was totaled in an accident now I am reconsidering a truck. Personally I don't like trails that are so tight or difficult where a well equipped truck couldn't do the task but you never know what you find when you are out there!

Personally I am liking the idea of a truck but what does the rest of the community say?
Some inspiration from this article: https://expeditionportal.com/why-you-should-skip-the-suv-and-buy-a-pickup/

1derer

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

Truck!... I have owned both and a Full Size truck for me has been better... That being said... I very much miss my diesel Excursion..... if I had to have a SUV it would be an Excursion.....
I know I have thought about an Excursion build several times but come to my senses when I start adding up the to do list. It would be easy to live out of one of those for a while with room to spare!

Reactions: OffroadTreks

Raul B

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kyle, Hays County, Texas, United States
First Name
Raul
Last Name
Banuelos
Member #

I know I have thought about an Excursion build several times but come to my senses when I start adding up the to do list. It would be easy to live out of one of those for a while with room to spare!
If I could find one for a decent price I would sell my truck in a hear beat..... Here is my old one on 40" tires.....

Sent from my SM-G930T using OB Talk mobile app

britz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Musselshell, Idaho
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6YTI
If I was only allowed one rig, it would be a truck, even if I lived back in a suburban or urban environment again and not get lost and turn right. A six ft bed still makes it nimble enough to maneuver in town and for parking, yet I could sleep in the bed. Plus the aforementioned RTT, shell options, etc.

FeralBoy

Rank 0

Traveler I

Indiana
Truck is usually much cheaper. Especially regular cab if you don't need more than one other seat

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

OffroadTreks

Rank IV

Advocate II

Nomad
Member #

Truck, I've had both, moved on because there is greater versatility in the truck. A small size SUV might be more nimble, but unless you score and Excursion or 2500 Suburban (both of which are no longer made), you'll find trucks with more mod options, more payload, and greater towing capacity.

Fullsizes have been discounted by smaller guys for awhile, but fullsizes have a long rich history of overlanding. And I think it's a good platform for anyone with kids and multi-roll needs. Alot of versatility. The bed gives you a lot of options too. You can't take off the back of your SUV to build a tray for example. Or slide a camper into it sometimes.

Don't be afraid of the size. ;)

rzims

Rank III

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Sims
I sold my F150 4x4 and bought a grand cherokee. I love the GC, but I sure do miss the pickup truck.
I had a nice shell and bedrug and could sleep in there with the dog and all my junk...
Plus it carried a full size sheet of plywood when needed.
I don't miss 14 mpg though...

Reactions: 1derer and Raul B

KoiClayton

Rank 0

Contributor I

Austin, Texas
Member #

I have an 08 titan and a 91 pathfinder. All in all I gotta say I think I prefer SUV. My original plan was a d21 pickup with camper shell, amd this os basically the same thing, except I have access to the rear, and extra seatong of I need it.

Sent from my VS995 using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: 1derer

Contributor I

Truck with cap, got a 2000 dodge dakota so it is nimble like a SUV but it is a truck when need be, built a light weight sleep platform in back around a bed frame for strength, with drawer slide outs for kitchen and storage still getting built

Sent from my F3213 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1derer and FeralBoy

BeardedOverland

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger I

Kingman, Arizona, United States
First Name
JASON
Last Name
SMITH
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRUH443
I loved my 01 Dodge quad-cab, but being in the hotter southwestern part of the country I like SUV's better, I'm able to cool the entire space keeping the food and ice in the chest longer while traveling farther. That and there are no worries about gear when a thunderstorm sprouts up.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Contributor I

I'm from a not so hot climate i got a new to market 70 litre cooler. two 2 litre jugs with a half dozen frozen water bottles keeped the food frozen or still cooled for 8 days camping and there was still ice chunk in bottles, as for weather that's what my cap/canopy on truck is for keeps all stuff dry, right now I'm designing a pull around three side sun shade with a possible annex room for rear of truck, becouse well I live in a rain forest. So sun and heat is Usually welcome.

Sent from my F3213 using Tapatalk

toxicity_27

US MidWest Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

Only vehicle I miss is my F150. I love my JK, but when it's paid off I'll be buying a truck again. With the cargo room in the JK it's difficult to have passengers if I don't tow a trailer to haul stuff.

1derer

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

Nope... However I do think the Excursion is the exception in the market! I guess the better question for you would be V10 or Diesel?