Pick-up Trucks

• HTML tutorial

wheelhard916

Rank I

Contributor III

Wow, pretty strong opinions here. The people I know that drive dirt roads for a living or live long distances from paved roads pretty much agree that american trucks hold up better than the Japans best. They talk about suspensions not lasting. They go through trucks a lot, My buddy in alaska owns a company does support work on the pipeline. He plans on replacing his trucks every 4 to 5 years. These are work trucks driven by his employees, they beat them up. He tried 3 Trundas, done in 2 years. A buddy in Baja lives 30 miles out of town. The dirt road is mostly washboard into town, He's has owned 2 Toyotas and neither lasted for long he stays with american trucks. I have a friend put 300k on his Tundra and never had a issue, his were freeway miles
I have owned a bunch of truck both small and large, all had good and bad points. When they become unreliable I replace them, they are just tools to get me there and back.
I couldn’t agree more . It’s interesting how we have been conditioned to believe foreign cars are better yet everybody I know who has to rely on a vehicle to get them somewhere ,they get an American truck . I have many family members with Chevy trucks with 300k miles or more on them . All rough used . They were built for people who depended upon them to get somewhere and get work done. In my opinion that reliability is what makes a good overland vehicle. Everything else you can make or outfit for your needs.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I haven't noticed any brand , model or platform bias on OB. Everyone seems welcoming and supportive. That's why I like this place. Learning from someone who modded a Roo or advising a new Jeep owner on what trails to cut their teeth on in Moab to showing off your truck bed camp system so others can copy it. That's what I get out of OB.
You are basically right ! I say that, knowing that all of us do have a bias or we wouldn't buy what we drive, It's a good kind of bias though.. In the car world there has been an ongoing battle bias between Ford, Chevy and Chrysler for as long as I can remember, NASCAR is the proof. That battle of preference has extended to Toyota this past 10 years. I think members of OB have that same kind of constructive bias for there vehicles, primarily because of what they perceive as dependability that they have experienced from owning a variety of vehicles and determining what is best for them.
I don't think anyone in OB land cares what brand or model vehicles others members have. I'm a minority in the USA - OB world because I have a land Rover Discovery 2. Other members have questioned me as to why I would buy a vehicle with questionable dependability. I am not bothered by there comments because that is what they believe or heard. No one in OB has criticized my choice or me for making that choice. Quite the opposite, they have been supportive and given me some good points by and large. I'm thankful for the OB crowd and think I have made some good friends without ever meeting any of them.
I finish by saying, you are absolutely right about everything else you said in your comment. I just wanted to clarify the word bias. It is not a dirty word and is shared by all the world over. If you had used the word criticism ,I would not be writing this long useless message. There is no right or wrong in your statement, just clarity of thought.

Good night all, may you trails be rocky, muddy, full of pot holes and unexpected obstacles, just like your life is every day. We will overcome because we are OB folk.

69machguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Nunya, USA
First Name
Wally
Last Name
Kunz
I guess it depends on where your at. I'm seeing more and more domestic full size rigs now a days.
I have a 2017 F350 with a Habitat setup, love it. It gets me everywhere I want to go, has awesome payload and towing capacity, and is roomy enough to fit all kinds of niceties. Here are a few pics.

Wally

Attachments

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
I have to disagree there. It is not "game over".

I bought this truck with the synchros shot. Courtesy no doubt to someone using the wrong gear oil. It is getting challenging to find anything other than GL5 on the shelf anymore. At any rate, that was 50K miles ago. The lack of synchros hasn't prevented me from putting on those 50K miles. I simply learned to double clutch.

Someday I will get around to fixing the transmission, but that is one of the beauties of a manual. Even when they have problems they still work.
Fair enough, if youre a good driver then yeah you can get away with it, but the syncro ring does more than just slow down the gears to allow for an easy shift, they also play a role in holding the transmission in gear. As far as oil goes, syncro safe gear oil is readily available, its just all synthetic now.

Tim Roberts

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Santa Clarita, CA USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Roberts
Member #

Considering a pick-up and a four wheel camper. I see a lot of Tacoma’s and Tundra’s but rarely see domestic pick-ups. Curious as to why this is the case. Are domestic pick-ups not off-road/overland capable? Less after market parts/upgrades?

Thanks
Here’s my rig. If they don’t the after market parts you want just make em yourself. You most likely would do a better job anyway! Enjoy

Mekcanix

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
First Name
John
Last Name
McLaughlin
Member #

Nice rig! I'm building a GMC rig as we speak I've yet to find aftermarket parts for it so I gotta make em all
I have been building my 09 Sierra for a few years now, there is very few things in the aftermarket for these trucks its like the 07 -13 gm trucks are the ugly step children. So I adapt and am slowly building into a reliable daily driven adventure truck

Richard Rodriguez

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate I

I have been building my 09 Sierra for a few years now, there is very few things in the aftermarket for these trucks its like the 07 -13 gm trucks are the ugly step children. So I adapt and am slowly building into a reliable daily driven adventure truck
Yes sir I've got an 05, how high are you going on your lift? I'm new to all this but I'm think 4 inches should be plenty, do you have any recommendations?

Richard Rodriguez

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate I

I’ll bet it’s looking awesome! Send a picture along so we can see your rig when you get a chance. I’m always looking for new ideas
Yes sir I will it's in the shop right now, I cant weld to save my life so my poor mechanic let's me go try to weld and after I completely screw it up he'll fix it for me [emoji23] , I've been very lucky going through this forum and I've seen some amazing builds

Tim Roberts

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Santa Clarita, CA USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Roberts
Member #

Yes sir I will it's in the shop right now, I cant weld to save my life so my poor mechanic let's me go try to weld and after I completely screw it up he'll fix it for me [emoji23] , I've been very lucky going through this forum and I've seen some amazing builds
Yeah, there really are some cool ride and people. Wish I had the skills to weld ect., it’s nice to be able to do that. Have a great day and I’ll be looking forward to seeing your ride!

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Looks like yours is all complete, looks great. You have some beautiful country to explore up north. My folks used to leave in Tahoe and enjoyed traveling through the area.
Thanks Tim! Just trying to refresh the look where I can. I really need to get out more often, especially up north in Tahoe country. So many roads, so little time (and money). :)

Tim Roberts

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Santa Clarita, CA USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Roberts
Member #

Thanks Tim! Just trying to refresh the look where I can. I really need to get out more often, especially up north in Tahoe country. So many roads, so little time (and money). :)
That’s one of the nice things about our types of vehicles, you can always change them around. I keep getting new ideas myself every time I see another members rig! I understand the money issue, I’m always saving every penny I can for another trip. Life is good, enjoy!

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
That’s one of the nice things about our types of vehicles, you can always change them around. I keep getting new ideas myself every time I see another members rig! I understand the money issue, I’m always saving every penny I can for another trip. Life is good, enjoy!
Thanks Tim! Yup I don't even want to know who much I spent just getting ideas from this forum lol. Now I need to go out and enjoy them (and my family).

Reactions: Tim Roberts

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Considering a pick-up and a four wheel camper. I see a lot of Tacoma’s and Tundra’s but rarely see domestic pick-ups. Curious as to why this is the case. Are domestic pick-ups not off-road/overland capable? Less after market parts/upgrades?

Thanks
If it fits, it ships.

I prefer olde school one ton solid axles and manual hubs. Only the Ford Super Duty remains that way. Dodge is close with a Yukon free spin kit. But that goof inter-axle disconnect is not my favorite Dodge idea.

I get good reliability in every new Ford/Dodge I buy. But never, ever, if I buy them used. And those two clear 35x12.5" MT tires box stock. 37" tires with any kind of lift. An FWC, Bundutec pop up camper is nothing to a 2500/250.

I break IFS, and GM and Toyota are a bit of work to get more suspension travel and larger tires onto.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
If it fits, it ships.

I prefer olde school one ton solid axles and manual hubs. Only the Ford Super Duty remains that way. Dodge is close with a Yukon free spin kit. But that goof inter-axle disconnect is not my favorite Dodge idea.

I get good reliability in every new Ford/Dodge I buy. But never, ever, if I buy them used. And those two clear 35x12.5" MT tires box stock. 37" tires with any kind of lift. An FWC, Bundutec pop up camper is nothing to a 2500/250.

I break IFS, and GM and Toyota are a bit of work to get more suspension travel and larger tires onto.
what would you suggest to get my 1984Dodge Ram 250 a couple of inches higher in the front. My 315 /70R/16 are fine until just before the tires clear the front edge of my fenders when turning, then they touch. 2" lift would be perfect but no one sells any kind of lift for the front, Just a 4" or 6" total lift kit. I don't need that.