Launch Member

Influencer II

Kyle, Hays County, Texas, United States
First Name
Raul
Last Name
Banuelos
Member #

Considering a pick-up and a four wheel camper. I see a lot of Tacoma’s and Tundra’s but rarely see domestic pick-ups. Curious as to why this is the case. Are domestic pick-ups not off-road/overland capable? Less after market parts/upgrades?

Thanks
I guess it depends on where your at. I'm seeing more and more domestic full size rigs now a days.

PacingTheCage

Rank III
Launch Member

Member II

Williamson County, Texas, United States
First Name
James
Last Name
Prescott
Member #

There is a whole thread lamenting the lack of options/support for GM trucks.

To a large extent, size is an issue.

It will be interesting to see if the diesel Colorado and the new Ranger make any inroads.
Thanks, I was thinking a F250 might be a better choice for the FWC due to payload concerns of a Tundra.

I’ve seen the Bound For Nowhere Tundra. Anxious to see how it performs for them.

Reactions: Billiebob

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army

It will be interesting to see if the diesel Colorado and the new Ranger make any inroads.
The GM midsize trucks are the 2nd best selling truck on the market, the off road ZR2's are hard to find and the ZR2 Bison were all sold before the first one left the assembly line. For some a SUV works better, for others a 4 or 2 door PU. I travel solo so a ext cab truck is perfect for me. The aftermarket is catching up on the Colorado's, it's really grown in the past two years.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
My opinion is, it depends on where you go. I never thought I would be sporting a full size SUV. The old way of thinking is "smaller and more maneuverable". You also have the aftermarket industry. Everyone use to choose smaller for off road. The market still reflects that but, larger vehicles are popular and the aftermarket is catching up. The vehicle manufactures are making more capable full size and mid size trucks than before.
The other factor is fuel mileage. My Tacoma gets 22mpg, my Cruiser, 14mpg.

Reactions: PacingTheCage

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Considering a pick-up and a four wheel camper. I see a lot of Tacoma’s and Tundra’s but rarely see domestic pick-ups. Curious as to why this is the case. Are domestic pick-ups not off-road/overland capable? Less after market parts/upgrades?

Thanks
I think a pick up works fine but I think a tandem wheel trailer wouldn't be able to go some places that a 2 wheel trailer will go. A lot of overland trips are on some not so well kept roads, in fact some are almost technical roads to some extent. Tall truck bed campers are not a very good idea either. I would rethink your plans for the rig you want for where you will be taking it. I'm single so there is no considerations other than myself. I have a 13" Scamp trailer but I wouldn't take it on a lot of the trails the OB groups go because of road conditions. People who use the SUV's are likely to either sleep inside their rig or carry some sort of tent, or pull a small 2 wheel off road type trailer. Watch some of the OB travel video's on YouTube to give you some insight on the trails they travel.

wheelhard916

Rank I

Contributor III

Thanks
The Chevy Colorado / GMC Canyon has become a favorite for this reason. When I was looking for an overland vehicle I was looking for a midsize pick up. The Tacoma was Little small in the cab for a 6 foot tall person. The 4 banger was too weak and the v6 was ok but got horrible Milage. They were also marked up about 8-10 k from the dealer . I ended up with the GMC Canyon . I have over 150k miles now on it and have never had issues . The crew cab has given me plenty of room and taken me many places. Although I love the new second gen I wish they would have continued with development of the i 5 engine. This thing is a workhorse. Plenty of low end torque for a small midsize pickup . Decent milage and reliable.

alexdnick

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Washington, USA
First Name
A
Last Name
N
Another reason I would say you don’t see domestic is because Ford/GMC/Chevy all hasn’t updated their platform In quite a while here in the US.

You’ll see the ranger replica much more commonly in Australia where it has been for sometime. And now that GMC and Chevy have the Colorado Canyon updated, you are seeing them much much more. Where as Tacoma’s have been selling since the late 90’s and keeping a somewhat updated platform.

Give it a few years and the domestic mid size scene should be coming up on the Tacoma’s.

If you want to see some really great Colorado’s and a great Ranger, check out Peak Suspension. They have been a front runner for these trucks and overlanding.

To answer your question about the aftermarket scene for the Colorado canyon; No, the aftermarket parts for these trucks is all there and pretty much everything you need. Many of the fab shops make universal bedracks, there are plenty of bumps, Baja kits has long travel suspension(the suspension is the one area I wish had more options), there are now regearing options.

And as to reliability, I don’t think that’s much of an argument anymore for vehicles in general. Especially for companies like Toyota, Chevy, etc. because everything is monitored and controlled by computers now. Plus, there are tons of old Chevy S10’s above 200k miles. Yeah they don’t hold their value like a Tacoma, but why are you buying a vehicle if you are thinking about selling it already?

Last edited:

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

I'm kind of stuck in the past and I love my little pick-up truck ... '88 Jeep Comanche MJ. That was the last year of American Motors. It's not much for off roading as it's currently a 2WD but I have camped with it and it's great for hauling around kayaks & bikes. It's aslo good for trips to Home Depot and the dump, both of which I did several times this week with a bathroom reno underway.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Reliability is why we picked toyota.
You'll get some argument there !! Lanlubber

Thanks, I was thinking a F250 might be a better choice for the FWC due to payload concerns of a Tundra.

I’ve seen the Bound For Nowhere Tundra. Anxious to see how it performs for them.
Definitely true, Never underestimate Ford or Chevy. My 4 wheel drive Escape can go as far into the boonies as I care to go and that's what it's all about, not who has the priciest or more trendy rig. If I wanna go further either my full size Dodge Ram 4x4 or Land Rover Discovery will go at least as far as a Toyota and bring me back. Lanlubber

Ghuckoverland, That's an opinion we don't all agree with. Toyota's break just like any other vehicle and cost a lot more to fix. That's MY opinion. Buy what you can afford and just join the adventure without prejudices. Lanlubber

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign

I'm not concerned with your choice of vehicles. My concern would be for the trailer you want to pull behind. Most of OB is semi off road or off road. I would want a rig that can go anywhere. A tandem trailer is not built for anywhere. If your plans are to tour the US-Canada on highways, then your Tandem trailer will be fine.
Again, just my opinion for what it's worth. Lanlubber

PacingTheCage

Rank III
Launch Member

Member II

Williamson County, Texas, United States
First Name
James
Last Name
Prescott
Member #

Thanks, I’m looking at a FWC truck camper rather than pulling a trailer.

I currently drive a 4Runner and sleep in a tent. My 63 year old knees and back seem less interested in tent camping these days!

I like the “freedom” the 4Runner provides. Seems like a truck camper might be a good compromise without having to go the trailer route.

wheelhard916

Rank I

Contributor III

Set your truck up the way you need it and you will be surprised how much gear and stuff you can take. The trailer option should be last resort as it limits your off-road capability. I put a rack on top of my cab and I use plastic bins I strap if I need. I also have a tent that attaches to the bed. It’s only about 100 bucks instead of the thousands a roof top tent cost.IMG_5459.JPG

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I'm kind of stuck in the past and I love my little pick-up truck ... '88 Jeep Comanche MJ. That was the last year of American Motors. It's not much for off roading as it's currently a 2WD but I have camped with it and it's great for hauling around kayaks & bikes. It's aslo good for trips to Home Depot and the dump, both of which I did several times this week with a bathroom reno underway.

Well said , I'd be proud to own one like yours for what it DOES do. If a 2WD has a winch and tow equipment it can go almost anywhere. It's just a little harder !I've see plenty of up to their axel stuck trucks and SUV's of every make and model. If you cant , drive nothing will get you out of some situations.

Reactions: Chi