Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Thanks, I’m looking at a FWC truck camper rather than pulling a trailer.

I currently drive a 4Runner and sleep in a tent. My 63 year old knees and back seem less interested in tent camping these days!

I like the “freedom” the 4Runner provides. Seems like a truck camper might be a good compromise without having to go the trailer route.
I'm 84 Y"s O and I think your right, but if you go truck bed camper think about getting one that raises up and down rather than the over the cab campers. You don't want to limit your options on head clearance or being top heavy, tall rigs don't do so good on a road that is slanted side to side at 25 degrees, or go under low hanging branches on trees on some of these trails. Height is important. You have a lot to consider in my mind. Why not try a small tear drop first and keep what you have. If you don't like it you can always sell both at a good price, they both hold their value well.

Reactions: PacingTheCage

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Reliability is why we picked toyota.
Exactly. I've owned the gambit and having a construction company, I went thru a lot of trucks. I had a F350 diesel that was a beast and could pull the hell out of overloaded gooseneck trailers, but always had problems with EGR, leaks, electrical sensors, etc. For traveling and hauling an offroad trailer, I went back to Toyota. I had several Rams that were good and I traveled in one, but I have to say the whole package is the Toyota. I just bought a new Tundra and for the hell of it, hooked up my 24' dovetail trailer and hauled my excavator with it no problem. That's about 15,000#...wouldn't do it on the regular, but nice to know it can push the limits if needed. The 5.7 is a stout engine.

Last edited:

smlobx

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mid Atlantic
First Name
Eddie
Last Name
Fort
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4CPL
Considering a pick-up and a four wheel camper. I see a lot of Tacoma’s and Tundra’s but rarely see domestic pick-ups. Curious as to why this is the case. Are domestic pick-ups not off-road/overland capable? Less after market parts/upgrades?

Thanks
That may have been true more in the past then now.
One of the serious concerns with the Tacoma and other like minded trucks is their lack of cargo capacity. Yes people put FWC’s on tacoma’s but many put them on F-250’s as well and these full size rigs can be made to go just about anywhere.
My Hallmark Everest (pop up camper) can go just about anywhere it fits and truth be told I’m not into rock crawling, just overlanding and there are few places I can’t go. As a matter of fact we’re going to the Rockies next month and plan on having a great time (if the snowmelt cooperates).

There is a great website (www.wanderthewest.com) that is primarily pop up camper focused and there is a lot of good people on there.
Check them out.

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
I would say 90% of it is marketing. Toyota has always marketed more towards outdoor lifestyle people, while the US big three tend to focus their marketing to work, rather than play.
As far as the reliability comments, all of the US built Toyotas have GM to thank for a lot of their engineering and design. GM and Toyota have a crazy close relationship and have had since 1990 when they built a joint plant in California. The big difference comes in management. And recently GM has started pulling their head out and going full bore (as has Ford) while Toyota has largely stagnated and relied on their reputation (this is not to mean they dont make a damn good product, they do). Anymore I would say Ford and GM are on par with Toyota in most areas (excluding the diesels, because lets face it, with EPA 2010 regs in place, no one builds a reliable on highway diesel engine, and I think the best thing Toyota has done recently is to NOT put a diesel in their pickups, lol).

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Exactly. I've owned the gambit and having a construction company, I went thru a lot of trucks. I had a F350 diesel that was a beast and could pull the hell out of overloaded gooseneck trailers, but always had problems with EGR, leaks, electrical sensors, etc. For traveling and hauling an offroad trailer, I went back to Toyota. I had several Rams that were good and I traveled in one, but I have to say the whole package is the Toyota. I just bought a new Tundra and for the hell of it, hooked up my 24' dovetail trailer and hauled my excavator with it no problem. That's about 15,000#...wouldn't do it on the regular, but nice to know it can push the limits if needed. The 5.7 is a stout engine.
Sorry, I cant agree with your evaluation of American cars or engineering. I have never experienced the problems you evidently have had. Toyotas or any vehicle will break at some point especially if they are abused like off roading does. That's why we all beef up our rigs , to avoid breakage. If you want to pay the higher price for repair and parts on a Toyota that's your choice, I will go the route of my experience with American hardware. BTW I have an International that has 375,000 miles and I finally replaced the engine 25,000 miles ago. International was made for specific uses (hard work), just like Toyota in some countries. It is a 3/4 ton 2 wheel drive 1967 model. It has been a work horse all it's life and abused badly, it still lives. I would hardly compare that truck to any of my other vehicles because they are built by different standards and multiple uses. I can appreciate your point of view, I hope you can appreciate mine on this subject.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I would say 90% of it is marketing. Toyota has always marketed more towards outdoor lifestyle people, while the US big three tend to focus their marketing to work, rather than play.
As far as the reliability comments, all of the US built Toyotas have GM to thank for a lot of their engineering and design. GM and Toyota have a crazy close relationship and have had since 1990 when they built a joint plant in California. The big difference comes in management. And recently GM has started pulling their head out and going full bore (as has Ford) while Toyota has largely stagnated and relied on their reputation (this is not to mean they dont make a damn good product, they do). Anymore I would say Ford and GM are on par with Toyota in most areas (excluding the diesels, because lets face it, with EPA 2010 regs in place, no one builds a reliable on highway diesel engine, and I think the best thing Toyota has done recently is to NOT put a diesel in their pickups, lol).
I cant knock diesels, they are known to be long lasting especially in commercial trucking. A half million miles is not at all a problem for those diesels. I have a friend with a 1976 Dodge diesel short bed 2 wheel drive 3/4 ton pickup. He has over 375,000 miles on it and the only thing he has ever done to the truck more than servicing is to replace the rear axel at somewhere around 200,000 miles. Admittingly his miles were all road miles and I doubt it was ever taken down a dirt road at all. My point being the truck was designed for a specific use. It did what it was supposed to do as designed by the manufacture. If you want a tough off road truck you usually have to modify it, even Toyotas.

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
Set your truck up the way you need it and you will be surprised how much gear and stuff you can take. The trailer option should be last resort as it limits your off-road capability. I put a rack on top of my cab and I use plastic bins I strap if I need. I also have a tent that attaches to the bed. It’s only about 100 bucks instead of the thousands a roof top tent cost.View attachment 101225
I have a very similar setup, the bed tent is quick to set up, about 5 minutes for a 70 year old, all my gear is stored in Plano totes. I can strap down everything in the bed with a cargo net and do the most severe off roading without stuff flying around in the bed, plus it's all out of sight with the tonneau cover.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Thanks! I’m not into rock climbing either. Just want to be able to travel fire roads, typical 4WD roads, etc.
I say prepare for the worst and hope for the best. I've seen fire roads that an extreme off road vehicle had a hard time traveling. I don't want to be put in a position that someone is going to have to pull me out of a situation. I also don't want to have to pull someone else out of a bad situation because they were not prepared for the worst. I've never heard of a typical 4WD road, they are all different. I belong to the NM4wheeler organization. They have a list of mandatory items you must have before even going on a road trip with them. see below

Attachments

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Excellent list! I would say I am more than half prepared based on this list. The rest I have and just needs to be consolidated in one place.

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

No complaints about choosing a Tundra at all. The primary reason I picked the Tundra was due to it's reliability pedigree. I appreciate the power it has, and the added room of a full size truck makes long trips far more comfortable than my previous "mid-size" Xterra. Everything has a compromise but I'll take what the full size offers over hat it does not over a smaller truck anyday. We've managed to fit the Tundra and FWC into places where we really shouldn't have, and when we get there are rewarded with a queen size bed and all the amenities the camper has to offer. 20180704_135644 (002).jpg

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Excellent list! I would say I am more than half prepared based on this list. The rest I have and just needs to be consolidated in one place.
For a while they required us to have a min. of a 9000# wench ($300-$500) and a winch bumper or devise strong enough to be pulled out of a mud hole of sand trap or some rocky ledge. (another $300-$900). I have an emergency hitch mounted 3000# winch that will work if I don't get myself in too much trouble. On the road there is always someone who is better equipped. Some get really pissed of if you need help, others will break a leg to help. That's why I said better to be prepqred for the worst, I hate to have shoot some ass hole for his bad nature. ;- ]

Reactions: RoarinRow

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
No complaints about choosing a Tundra at all. The primary reason I picked the Tundra was due to it's reliability pedigree. I appreciate the power it has, and the added room of a full size truck makes long trips far more comfortable than my previous "mid-size" Xterra. Everything has a compromise but I'll take what the full size offers over hat it does not over a smaller truck anyday. We've managed to fit the Tundra and FWC into places where we really shouldn't have, and when we get there are rewarded with a queen size bed and all the amenities the camper has to offer. View attachment 101373
You definitely have the right pick up rig regardless of make. That camper is awesome and is what I was telling the guy who wanted to know about full size pick up's. Buy something that is collapsible I said. Yours isn't much taller than a roof rack and may be lower since you don't carry anything on top. Yeah, I'd go there...

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
For a while they required us to have a min. of a 9000# wench ($300-$500) and a winch bumper or devise strong enough to be pulled out of a mud hole of sand trap or some rocky ledge. (another $300-$900). I have an emergency hitch mounted 3000# winch that will work if I don't get myself in too much trouble. On the road there is always someone who is better equipped. Some get really pissed of if you need help, others will break a leg to help. That's why I said better to be prepqred for the worst, I hate to have shoot some ass hole for his bad nature. ;- ]
Guess you gotta pay to play. I’m more on the conservative side when it comes to ‘off-roading’. I usually have my wife and kids with me and I want to make the trips safe and enjoyable (otherwise they won’t wanna come the next time). So I bring as much safety equipment I can carry and try to prep my rig to do the same. The list is a good start.

PacingTheCage

Rank III
Launch Member

Member II

Williamson County, Texas, United States
First Name
James
Last Name
Prescott
Member #

No complaints about choosing a Tundra at all. The primary reason I picked the Tundra was due to it's reliability pedigree. I appreciate the power it has, and the added room of a full size truck makes long trips far more comfortable than my previous "mid-size" Xterra. Everything has a compromise but I'll take what the full size offers over hat it does not over a smaller truck anyday. We've managed to fit the Tundra and FWC into places where we really shouldn't have, and when we get there are rewarded with a queen size bed and all the amenities the camper has to offer. View attachment 101373
That’s what I’m looking for but the flatbed version. I like the rear dinette in the Hawk flatbed. What are your thoughts on the slide in? Can you sleep a adult on the dinette when its made into a bed?

Really have enjoyed the advice posted here! Thanks!