Rank V

Advocate II

Laurel, MD, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Lombard
Member #

Shot of my rig, an ‘05 Silverado 1500. At the Bonneville Salt Flats under the Milky Way.

I shoot a Nikon D810 and generally have a 24mm prime mounted to it.
Great shot. That’s what the kids would call a “banger!” (A really good photo)

Reactions: 9Mike2

Joey83

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Joachim
Last Name
Sandven
Member #

I shoot mostly commercial (some military/warbird) aviation, sometimes I give nighttime photography a shot using a Sony RX100, not that I'm any good at it, but I enjoy it, am currently using an old Canon 7D with the Canon 70-200 f/2.8 lens.

96.jpg

136.jpg

143.jpg

Shot with Sony RX100 M1

101.JPG

107.JPG

DSC01347.JPG

ZombieCat

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Maryland
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
Awaits!
Member #

Had a go at shooting a car event last weekend, let me know what you guys think?

I used my Canon 7D and Canon 70-200 f/2.8 lens in Tv mode.

View attachment 231192

View attachment 231193

View attachment 231196

View attachment 231197
Nice! I like the sharp detail in the smoke. What shutter setting did you use? Would you do anything differently next time?
I had my first go at photographing humans moving quickly (dancing). It’s difficult to find the sweet spot. I’m using a Canon 5D Mark IV. I used the program (P) setting, AI servo, narrowed/raised the focus points, and set a minimum shutter speed. I may try Tv next time with similar settings.

Attachments

Joey83

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Joachim
Last Name
Sandven
Member #

Nice! I like the sharp detail in the smoke. What shutter setting did you use? Would you do anything differently next time?
Thanks!

I used a 1/500th shutterspeed and as for doing anything differently next time, I'd probably lower the shutterspeed abit more and focus on panning instead of "point camera at the car and click" type photography.

OleBeardy

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Florida, USA
First Name
Brett
Last Name
Davison
Member #

I like the D5500, and plan on looking into it when I get back. I'm not sure I can use the older lenses I have with it.
You can mount any F mount lens to the 5500, however since the 5000 series is on the low-end/entry level of DSLRs you might not get certain features to work.

Obviously, older manual focus lenses will not auto-focus.
Certain older lenses that do not have built in focus motors will not auto-focus.

If you stick with newer AF-S or G series lenses you should be alright.

Last edited: