Rank III

Contributor III

Texas
First Name
Phillip
Last Name
Sims
Member #

So just curious.... I know this thread goes back quite a few years, with many improvements in gear and technology having been made. I did studio work and nature photography until I started in the career I have had for the last 10 years. I know a lot has changed but I know the people in here shoot the same things I like to shoot (outdoors/nature/cars/etc.)
Ive been looking in to getting into the mirrorless side of things. I have used Canon for as long as I can remember but have really taking a liking to the Sony a7siii lately.

With all that being said, anyone have any pointers/do's and don't/stay away froms in the mirrorless side? I wont be doing much video but its a nice plus to have on hand.

All opinions and advice is welcome. I feel brand new getting back into the game since I have been away from it for so long.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

...Ive been looking in to getting into the mirrorless side of things. I have used Canon for as long as I can remember but have really taking a liking to the Sony a7siii lately. ...
@PhilfromTx

If you have been comfortable with Canon you should feel right at home on the Sony A7* lineup. Of the Photographers that I hang out with 5 years ago we were evenly split Nikon / Canon. Now all but 1 Canon shooter has gone fully over to Sony. While the Nikon shooters are moving to the Nikon Z system. (I'm so far staying on my DSLR's as I much prefer the ergonomics, battery life, and having an optical viewfinder.)

Check to see if your Canon glass can be run on the Sony via an adapter. If so it will lower the conversion cost. If not rent the setups you're interested in and take them for a spin. Don't forget to check out Fuji, Olympus and Pentax offerings to see if you like any of those systems. Best resource I can recommend for comparing specs across various cameras is the comparative tool at DPReview ( Side-by-side camera comparison: Digital Photography Review : Digital Photography Review ).

Do you have a local camera shop? If so reach out to them and see if they do any sponsored events with the various camera makers. Down in Denver / Boulder the Local Camera shop, Mikes Camera, used to host events where one or more of the camera makers bring in loads of gear and turn people loose with that gear at the local Zoo, Botanic gardens etc... (I'm not sure if they still do this since so much went online in 2020).

Best of luck!
Boort

Graveyard Overland

Rank III

Advocate III

Lovington, Moultrie County, Illinois, United States
First Name
Bennie
Last Name
Hume
Member #

Service Branch
USMC / Nat Guard
Im still fairly new to the mirrorless side of things. I shot Nikon for years and when I first went mirrorless I bought the Nikon Z5. I shot it for awhile but never really was sold on it 100%. About 6 months ago I took a gamble and traded most of my Nikon stuff (dslr and mirrorless) in for a Sony A7iv and a 200-600 and Tamron 28-200 lenses and I love it. I will be trading my final Nikon D500 and 200-500 lens in shortly.

Reactions: 9Mike2 and Boort

Basecamp Overland

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger I

Pearland, TX, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Specht
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRWK279
Here are a few I did a while ago, I guess I should start trying to get the rig in some of my shots :grinning:

Current camera setup: Nikon Z7 & Nikon Z6 - several Nikkor Z lenses (14-24, 24-70, 70-200 - f2.8) plus some prime lenses.

_BKB3174-4-3.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

Here are a few I did a while ago, I guess I should start trying to get the rig in some of my shots :grinning:

Current camera setup: Nikon Z7 & Nikon Z6 - several Nikkor Z lenses (14-24, 24-70, 70-200 - f2.8) plus some prime lenses.
@Basecamp Overland

Loving the shots.
Reminded me of this one I took at Zabriski Pt on my 2016 trip to DVNP a few years ago:

Boort

Attachments

Psfracer

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Santa Clarita, CA, USA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Fercho
I fully recognize the talent behind the photo..Great Picture!!!...BUT I would be interested in which camera and lens would be needed for shots like this?
It depends on what you are shooting (landscapes/wildlife/astro) and what you intend on doing with your very best images. For me, I use equipment so if I want to print a 30X40 image (for example), I can. If you just intend to share online, post to facebook, etc, you don’t need expensive equipment.

I use a Nikon D500 body. It can shoot 10 frames per second, which I use for a lot of action photography (motorsports/aviation). Its a crop sensor, which is actually an advantage for wildlife photography as it gives lenses more reach. For landscapes I use an Sigma Art 14mm-24mm lens. For landscapes and Astrophotography, you generally want to use wide angle lenses. The photographers that want the very best out of their images will use camera bodies that have full frame sensors or mirrorless.

Of course, the equipment is only part of the story. Composition, and fully understanding the relationship between shutter speed, aperture and iso to take advantage of the light and the story you want to tell is the key.

And just to demonstrate that you can make your own rules in photography vs the ”norms”, below is a pic I took of Mt Whitney with a Nikkor 500mm lens after i just told you that you use wide angle lenses for landscapes……..lol. And then a second shot of a Gaint Sequioa that would only work with a wide angle lens like a 14MM.
DA040EBC-8CE8-4666-A73F-16E857312F1D.jpeg642B91A3-E07D-476B-9C9B-48C93E177A80.jpeg

Oliver_29d3c7

Rank II

Enthusiast II

First Name
Oliver
Last Name
Kanervikkoaho
I carry a Moment lenses for my phone (Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra) when I go out on a road trip. The anamorphic is the one lens that gets the most use out of the kit. And yes, I use the anamorphic lens for still photos. But I also carry an older camera, a Canon 60D with a 10-20mm wide, a 50mm prime and sometimes a 25-105mm.

This is from Shoe Creek Trail in Virginia. This is one of the anamorphic shots with my phone.
IMG_20211106_151808.jpg

This one is a rest stop somewhere along the Blue Ridge Parkway in Virginia. Those are old mining railcart rails at the bottom of the frame.
IMG_20201017_165550.896.JPG

And yes, anamorphic lenses do produce the flare when a light source is pointed right at the lens. I do take advantage of this on occasion when it will make the image more interesting.
2020-06-16-23-37-25_1.jpg

I'd love to get an anamorphic lens for my 60D but they are a bit expensive for the moment. For now, the lens kit and my phone do fine for me.