Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Wondering what others use for creative solutions to lighting and other consideration when shooting.

I ran across this image earlier this evening when writing about something else. I'd forgotten all about it. It helped me remember how much time I often spend creating an image, in attempting to recreate for later viewing the feeling I have when being there.

Seeing this one again tonight, I realized I wasn't super concerned what others might see or feel when the view this image. Though for me, man, this image takes me right back to that night lake camping in the forests of New England.

pthi-190709-bwcrop-9224-1080t.jpg

I geek out on lighting when making images. This was actually well after dark, and though the moon was out, the naked eye could not tell the difference between sky and trees to this degree.

I played with a number of takes; setting one of my Nitecore Lights in the RTT to illuminate the interior, then trying some angles and exposures; then settling on one of my ReadyLight Pods (not the whole head, just one of the removable pods) to give more of the feeling I wanted. I use those all the time in making images; even putting them behind trees to provide a bit of backlight.

I like to use one of my Streamlight pocket flashlights to "paint" and lighten shadows where I think necessary, and have fun tweaking exposure after exposure with just the right degree of softening. Just like in the studio, the more I can do on set and in camera, the more I can look at an image later and think "Yes! Nailed it" and have little to do but resize and display.

I *really* like my Streamlight 66608 for shadow lighting around camp when making images. It's 250 lumens (as opposed to my EDC Streamlight Microstream, fav pocket light of all time, which is 45 lumens), is USB rechargeable, and clips in my pocket as easy as a pen. Pulling the cover to expose the charge port narrows the beam; a handy feature.

===
I'd really like to see what other dedicated photogs do and use for creative solutions when out adventuring to create lasting images, even if for no one else but themselves.
===

Mustang03

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Green Valley, AZ
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Lavender
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE5ATG
Service Branch
U.S. Marine Corps
Hey Road,
Nice image and even nicer willingness to share what you're doing. I've not tried anything other than natural lighting at night but have started looking at options for enhanced lighting such as you're using, so your gear list is very helpful. One thing I recently got my hands on to try is the "
Accmor Mini Round Ball Balloon Light". I found a bag of 100 on Amazon for less than $15. They are not re-chargeable but if you keep the pull-tab, you can reinsert it to save unused battery. I have been told they'll last up to 8 hours, but haven't had the chance to try in the field. For long exposures you need to damp them down with a handkerchief or something similar.

Attachments

Reactions: Road

Olbrjam1

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger III

Northwest, Canutillo, Texas 79835, United States
First Name
JAMES
Last Name
OLBRISCH
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC0WKY
Hey! Been a member for a little while and just realized there is a photography section.... I've been using photography to pay for the camera gear for a few years, mostly real estate photos some events but I never seem to have my camera ready when I'm out in the wilderness I need to get on that. I'll share a few of what I do have. Maybe get motivated to shoot more.

Attachments

Mustang03

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Green Valley, AZ
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Lavender
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE5ATG
Service Branch
U.S. Marine Corps
Hey! Been a member for a little while and just realized there is a photography section.... I've been using photography to pay for the camera gear for a few years, mostly real estate photos some events but I never seem to have my camera ready when I'm out in the wilderness I need to get on that. I'll share a few of what I do have. Maybe get motivated to shoot more.
Especially like the shot of the lightning! What's your camera/landscape lens of choice?

Olbrjam1

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger III

Northwest, Canutillo, Texas 79835, United States
First Name
JAMES
Last Name
OLBRISCH
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC0WKY
Especially like the shot of the lightning! What's your camera/landscape lens of choice?
I'm a canon guy. I was using a 5D3 and a Canon 16-24mm f2.8 for that shot, but i usualy walk around with the Tamron 24-70 f2.8 on

Reactions: Alex Brame

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Taken with an iPhone while paddling back to camp three years ago, this is another image that puts me right back in the moment.

The quiet solitude
living lakeside for days
with not another soul around

Camp so patiently
waiting to listen
to my tales

pthi_6856-1080.jpg

Last edited: