Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

I thought it would be cool to have thread where we could discuss photography, camera gear, and maybe share some samples of our work. I'm totally an amateur, but I love learning more about this hobby so feel free to critique any of my "work".

So, to start things off;

What camera are you using?

Mine is a Nikon D5000

I'll post some pictures later...

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

This is a great idea. I currently only use my cell phone for pics but, sometime soon i'd like to get a higher quality camera since we are starting to travel more and will be even more as my boys get older.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

I've been an amateur photographer since I was eight year old, when my aunt gave me a Brownie for my birthday. I've been through a lot of cameras and formats (roll film, instamatics, 35mm, CD, floppy disk, etc. The truth through all of them, is that it isn't the equipment, but the photographer behind it.

You often hear "great photo, what camera did you use?" That's about the equivalent to going to a restaurant and saying "Great dinner, what pans do you use." :)

I'm currently using a nine year old Nikon dSLR (D200) and mainly use the 18-200mm zoom lens. I have several prime lenses, but the zoom lives on the camera 99% of the time. On this trip, the zoom failed about three weeks ago, so my photos have been severely compromised. (The VR cable broke off inside the sense, and won't let the lens focus or fire through a varying range of zoom, depending on where the cable happens to fall inside.) I have a 50mm prime, which I've used, but the lesson I learned this trip is to have redundant lenses. The lenses I have at home would have ben perfect for the situations I've been in. Instead, I've used the iPhone 6S camera way more than I normally would.

Here's a link to my cameras: http://www.morrisgarage.com/clique/
And here are the lenses and accessories for my Nikons: http://www.morrisgarage.com/clique/D200.html

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

I would love to take some quality photos. However what Steve has said might as well be in French. I need the dummies guide to photography

Reactions: 101Tundra and murps

deeker

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

SW Ontario, Canada
Member #

In my mind, there is a difference between snapshots and photographs. Sometimes you only want a quick picture. Other times, you want to capture the moment.
If you use any reasonable point-and-shoot camera you can get really good pictures. Learn the different modes and experiment. Training your mind and eyes to 'see' the picture - that's what separates the good from the best. I'm still struggling with that part of it.

I'm currently using a Nikon D50 with 3 different lenses: 18-125, 70-300, and 50mm. I would like to get a wider lens, like a 12-28 or something...

snapshot - a "pics-or-it-didn't-happen" kind of thing... like double bass in a canoe

photograph - taking time to get the shot at sunset

or morning fog on the lake

Last edited:

deeker

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

SW Ontario, Canada
Member #

Forgot to add -
I'm trying to justify to myself getting a D5300 or similar. I need a bit more than the old D50 can give at times, especially night shots.

Reactions: 101Tundra

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

I agree, @deeker.

I have a Nikon D5000. It shoots better than me. I have gotten a lot better at selecting the right settings for what I am trying to capture. My weakness is composition. Working on that now.

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

@cjones Nice to see another D5000 user. ;) It's a sweet camera, I've only begun to grasp it's true capabilities. What lens do you have with it?

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

@cjones Nice to see another D5000 user. ;) It's a sweet camera, I've only begun to grasp it's true capabilities. What lens do you have with it?
I have a kit lens 18-55mm and a 200-300mm Nikor lens (I like photographing birds). I'm trying to get my hands on a 14-20mm.

Edit: I also had a nice 55-200 that my wife accidentally closed in the door on our Arizona trip. It doesn't work anymore.

Reactions: murps

toxicity_27

US MidWest Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

I've got a Nikon D5500 that I'm learning to use. First DSLR don't know much on the settings right now, but trying to learn.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

I like the D5500, and plan on looking into it when I get back. I'm not sure I can use the older lenses I have with it.

WUzombies

Rank V
Launch Member
Supporter

Advocate II

Central Texas
Member #

I thought it would be cool to have thread where we could discuss photography, camera gear, and maybe share some samples of our work. I'm totally an amateur, but I love learning more about this hobby so feel free to critique any of my "work".

So, to start things off;

What camera are you using?

Mine is a Nikon D5000

I'll post some pictures later...
I'm a Nikon guy. I run D800 bodies, Sigma lenses for the 24-70 and 70-200 range, Tokina for 16-28 and some other random lenses. However I have a business and that requires having a certain amount of photography gear.

The 3000 series and the 5000 are incredible bodies. With a little skill and a good eye someone can easily outshoot someone with top of the line "pro" gear. It doesn't matter if you have a $50,000 medium format setup if it is in the shelf at home.

WUzombies

Rank V
Launch Member
Supporter

Advocate II

Central Texas
Member #

I like the D5500, and plan on looking into it when I get back. I'm not sure I can use the older lenses I have with it.
If they're F-Mount lenses made after about 1968 then you can. Depending on the lens some things like autofocus or metering may not function but good glass is good glass. One of the things I love about Nikons.

Reactions: Steve

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

I ordered a Nikon D750 camera with the Nikkor 24-120mm f/4 lens today. I also ordered a Tamron 150-600mm tele-zoom. Now I'll get some better wildlife photos on our next trip! This will be a huge upgrade from my ten year old D200 body.

deeker

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

SW Ontario, Canada
Member #

I was 'fortunate' enough to get a very gently used Nikon D5300 from a buddy of mine. He grew tired of hauling it around and only shooting in auto mode. However, now my old D50 lenses don't have functioning auto-focus with the new body... Looks like I will have to pick out a couple of lenses for my wishlist! I've discovered the Nikkor 18-200 lens, and I wouldn't mind a wider angle zoom for landscapes and such. Going to put Jeep parts on hold for a while!

WUzombies

Rank V
Launch Member
Supporter

Advocate II

Central Texas
Member #

I was 'fortunate' enough to get a very gently used Nikon D5300 from a buddy of mine. He grew tired of hauling it around and only shooting in auto mode. However, now my old D50 lenses don't have functioning auto-focus with the new body... Looks like I will have to pick out a couple of lenses for my wishlist! I've discovered the Nikkor 18-200 lens, and I wouldn't mind a wider angle zoom for landscapes and such. Going to put Jeep parts on hold for a while!
I'm not a big fan of all-in-one zooms because every lens is a compromise. Prime lenses are compromises in aperture use. Zoom lenses are compromises in zoom and aperture. More focal length ranges a zoom lens has, the more of a compromise it took to make it all work well. For my money I'd spend the money for two good lenses to cover the spread from 18-55 and 55-200/300. Sigma makes some DX lenses that are absolutely incredible, the 18-35 lens they releases a while back is staggeringly good. The most important purchase you make for your camera is the glass. A $50,000 medium format camera body will suck with bad glass, a $200 used D3000 will sing with good glass.

Reactions: Lifestyle Overland

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

So any suggestions for a second hand Newby camera and maybe programs to edit if needed again for newby/dohdoh

Reactions: black pearl 17