Launch Member

Member III

Rockingham, Western Australia, Australia
First Name
Karl
Last Name
Fehlauer
Member #

Being stuck at home, like a lot of other people around the world, I decided to use this time to expand some of my photography skills.

One of the things I have been practising is my focus stacking skills on macro subjects and I found a dead moth that was the perfect subject.

The images were taken with my old Canon 450D (which is over 12 years old) and a Tamron F2.8 90mm macro lens a Velbon focus rail and using available light.

I hope yo like the images.

The 1st image is 12 images stacked and the 2nd is 15 images stacked.

Karl

2020-04-23 Moth1 - 05-Edit.jpg

2020-04-24 Moth 4 - 02-Edit.jpg

terryg

Rank V

Pathfinder III

Nixa, MO, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Gandy
Member #

I got the Nikon D3500 deal with extra zoom lens about a year ago. I use the 50-200 lens 90% of the time. I do landscape/wildlife photography, so will probably add a 20mm lens for macro and night photography and eventually a 600mm for long distance wildlife. That should do me until I jump up to a mirrorless.

I started playing with photography back in the 70's, dropped it in the 80's when the family came along and picked it back up in retirement. Being used to have film speed as a constant and adjusting aperture to control exposure, the DSLR was driving me crazy. I could NOT get a decent shot. Then, I took a 5-week course at a local camera shop and that made all the difference.

Reactions: rgallant

TSlop

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Camp Hill, PA, USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Robillard
Member #

Loved seeing everyone's photos! I'm an extreme rookie to both photography and overlanding, but I'm hoping to combine the 2 in the future. I have great interest in night photography, so I purchased a Canon 6D about 4 years ago. I previously used a Canon PowerSHot SX40 HS, which couldn't cut it for Milky Way photos. My dream is to put a large Milky Way photo on my wall that I personally took. I'm definitely NOT getting my money out of the camera yet, but I'm hoping to really get into it over the next few years. There's a photography club in my area that meets monthly I believe, so that will be an excellent start.

I plan to buy a mid-size truck by 2024, which will really push up my camping game. My daughter will be prime age to start enjoying it as well, so I'm going to try to get the whole family on board. Minus bigger trips, I plan to develop a routine to get out camping every 4th Sunday/Monday, since I have every 4th Monday off. This will give me the ability to have monthly photo shoots. If I can (finally) get this hobby, rolling, I can be prepared before the fall and get some good East Coast fall foliage shots. I will get out West at some point, but for now I'll have to settle for East Coast scenery.

On a side note, with my Canon 6D being 4 years old, how long do you guys think it will last, technology wise? With a camera at this level, can I expect it to last, say, 10, 20 years? I'm hoping it won't go obsolete and be itching for something newer to get better image quality.

zony

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Prunedale CA, USA
First Name
marc
Last Name
oehlman
Member #

Loved seeing everyone's photos! I'm an extreme rookie to both photography and overlanding, but I'm hoping to combine the 2 in the future. I have great interest in night photography, so I purchased a Canon 6D about 4 years ago. I previously used a Canon PowerSHot SX40 HS, which couldn't cut it for Milky Way photos. My dream is to put a large Milky Way photo on my wall that I personally took. I'm definitely NOT getting my money out of the camera yet, but I'm hoping to really get into it over the next few years. There's a photography club in my area that meets monthly I believe, so that will be an excellent start.

I plan to buy a mid-size truck by 2024, which will really push up my camping game. My daughter will be prime age to start enjoying it as well, so I'm going to try to get the whole family on board. Minus bigger trips, I plan to develop a routine to get out camping every 4th Sunday/Monday, since I have every 4th Monday off. This will give me the ability to have monthly photo shoots. If I can (finally) get this hobby, rolling, I can be prepared before the fall and get some good East Coast fall foliage shots. I will get out West at some point, but for now I'll have to settle for East Coast scenery.

On a side note, with my Canon 6D being 4 years old, how long do you guys think it will last, technology wise? With a camera at this level, can I expect it to last, say, 10, 20 years? I'm hoping it won't go obsolete and be itching for something newer to get better image quality.
Well... I still have a Canon 10d that I use occasionally.... works just fine. It all depends if you plan on printing... then megapixels will make a huge difference. I still shoot film, so I'm OK with the 10d, and your system will last plenty more years.
Marc

zony

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Prunedale CA, USA
First Name
marc
Last Name
oehlman
Member #

And as I am one of those crazed individuals that loves lugging 60# of film, holders and cameras around - yes indeed film for the hungry darkroom - I'll share a couple pieces... I work primarily 4x5 (Shen Hao, Wista Technical, favorite Linhof Master Teknica); 8x10 with a Kodak Master View; medium format with a Mamiya RB67.
Marcmudhole.jpgIMG_1631.jpegDSCN1883.jpgIMG_4213.jpglower_bridalveil1999.jpgIMG_0003.jpg

1airbourne

Rank 0

Contributor I

Central Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Caracol
Ham/GMRS Callsign
W2WRX
So any suggestions for a second hand Newby camera and maybe programs to edit if needed again for newby/dohdoh
Well it depends on how much you want to spend on your camera and how you would want to shoot images.If your looking to just point and shoot or go with a starter DSLR or a Mirrior-less camera like a Nikon,Canon,Sony,Panasonic,Olympus and Pentax. I'll be glad to help anyone interested in starting your 1st to last camera.All name Brands are as good as how you use it and shoot it.

Brett L.

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Long Beach, CA, USA
First Name
Brett
Last Name
LaForest
Member #

Well it depends on how much you want to spend on your camera and how you would want to shoot images.If your looking to just point and shoot or go with a starter DSLR or a Mirrior-less camera like a Nikon,Canon,Sony,Panasonic,Olympus and Pentax. I'll be glad to help anyone interested in starting your 1st to last camera.All name Brands are as good as how you use it and shoot it.
I can confirm this. I have a Canon T6i and a 7D MkIII. My pics are just as shitty no matter which camera I use! :laughing:

1airbourne

Rank 0

Contributor I

Central Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Caracol
Ham/GMRS Callsign
W2WRX
I can confirm this. I have a Canon T6i and a 7D MkIII. My pics are just as shitty no matter which camera I use! :laughing:
Those are great great camera's you have there Brett,have you tried to set your 7D MKIII on shutter speed at least 1/2000 of a sec. with a good lighting available or faster,to keep you from ( camera shake ) and let the camera set the aperture to what the ISO calls for or set it on manual and set the shutter speed and aperture to what the best ISO reads,if the ISO is shot at the minimun 100 /200/400/800 etc. higher,than your histogram should be less noise,it all depends on the what ISO is used,the higher the ISO the more noise it will pick up,but it all depends on all your settings.

Reactions: Brett L.

Brett L.

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Long Beach, CA, USA
First Name
Brett
Last Name
LaForest
Member #

Those are great great camera's you have there Brett,have you tried to set your 7D MKIII on shutter speed at least 1/2000 of a sec. with a good lighting available or faster,to keep you from ( camera shake ) and let the camera set the aperture to what the ISO calls for or set it on manual and set the shutter speed and aperture to what the best ISO reads,if the ISO is shot at the minimun 100 /200/400/800 etc. higher,than your histogram should be less noise,it all depends on the what ISO is used,the higher the ISO the more noise it will pick up,but it all depends on all your settings.
I was just being a smart-ass but I do agree that it doesn't really matter how expensive the camera is, although a full-frame would be nice. I actually started getting pretty good but then stopped shooting because I couldn't find anything to motivate me to want to shoot living in the city. Hoping to change that once I can start getting out more. My camera bag contains the following:

Canon T6i
Canon 7d Mk III
Canon 70 - 200mm 2.8 IS II
Canon EF 2x III extender
Canon EF-S 2.8 17 - 55mm IS
Tokina 11 -16 mm 2.8 AT-X116 Pro DX II
Pixel TW-283 wireless shutter release

Big Shag Lake in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. I HDR'ed this bracketed shot a little too much but I still like how it turned out.

Sunrise Over Big Shag 2.jpg

1airbourne

Rank 0

Contributor I

Central Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Caracol
Ham/GMRS Callsign
W2WRX
I was just being a smart-ass but I do agree that it doesn't really matter how expensive the camera is, although a full-frame would be nice. I actually started getting pretty good but then stopped shooting because I couldn't find anything to motivate me to want to shoot living in the city. Hoping to change that once I can start getting out more. My camera bag contains the following:

Canon T6i
Canon 7d Mk III
Canon 70 - 200mm 2.8 IS II
Canon EF 2x III extender
Canon EF-S 2.8 17 - 55mm IS
Tokina 11 -16 mm 2.8 AT-X116 Pro DX II
Pixel TW-283 wireless shutter release

Big Shag Lake in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. I HDR'ed this bracketed shot a little too much but I still like how it turned out.

View attachment 156578
Awesome photo shot Brett,and your camera gear is tops,yes a full frame is nice too,maybe some day your 5D mklll or the R5 mirrorless body ?

Brett L.

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Long Beach, CA, USA
First Name
Brett
Last Name
LaForest
Member #

Awesome photo shot Brett,and your camera gear is tops,yes a full frame is nice too,maybe some day your 5D mklll or the R5 mirrorless body ?
Maybe. I guess it all depends on how much I start shooting again. I can't justify it at this point but I haven't given up on photography completely.

1airbourne

Rank 0

Contributor I

Central Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Caracol
Ham/GMRS Callsign
W2WRX
Maybe. I guess it all depends on how much I start shooting again. I can't justify it at this point but I haven't given up on photography completely.
You need to add a copy right icon to your photo's for legal artist rights.That photo you posted just now,you should either sell it to magazines or lease it out..that a great shot,did you do any lightroom to it?

Brett L.

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Long Beach, CA, USA
First Name
Brett
Last Name
LaForest
Member #

You need to add a copy right icon to your photo's for legal artist rights.That photo you posted just now,you should either sell it to magazines or lease it out..that a great shot,did you do any lightroom to it?
Thanks! I did use LR for that photo. It was a 5 shot bracketed exposure with I believe a half stop between each, so 1 stop over and under. I'm a huge fan of bracketing nature photos when possible.

Reactions: 1airbourne