Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

I recently had the opportunity to drive down to New Mexico in the middle of the week to check out the Very Large Array (VLA). Some of you might remember seeing the VLA in movie Contact staring Jodi Foster. For those of you that do not know what the VLA is, here is the description from the National Radio Astronomy Observatory:

“The Very Large Array, one of the world's premier astronomical radio observatories, consists of 27 radio antennas in a Y-shaped configuration on the Plains of San Agustin fifty miles west of Socorro, New Mexico. Each antenna is 25 meters (82 feet) in diameter. The data from the antennas is combined electronically to give the resolution of an antenna 36 km (22 miles) across, with the equivalent sensitivity of a dish 130 meters (422 feet) in diameter.”

I was at the VLA in mid-September and it was in configuration A, the most spread out configuration. They post a schedule showing what configuration the Array will be in. This is very helpful if you are trying to get certain photographs. I am already thinking about a return trip while it is in configuration C or D to get some photos of the dishes all clustered together.

Day 1: Peyton, CO to San Lorenzo Canyon, NM
Miles: 471.6 mi
Trip Time: 8 hrs 42 min
Average Speed: 54.1 mph
Ascent: 8,468 ft
Decent: 10,041 ft

The majority of Day 1 was uneventful Interstate traveling. Once you exit off of I-25 heading South, things get a little more interesting. You have to travel the service road for a ways and it crosses under I-25 twice via those really narrow passage ways.

You quickly leave what little civilization there is behind and find yourself in a wide valley surrounded by low scrub and cacti.

The San Lorenzo Canyon is a really cool area with several small side canyons with campsites at the end of them. One of them is particularly narrow and goes quite a bit deeper into the canyon before it ends at a very unique campsite. I was not expecting much camping activity since it was the middle of the week, but I also wanted to make sure I got this campsite. As such, I decided to setup camp as soon as I got there and explore the rest of the area on foot and the next day with the Jeep.

I was hoping to get some photos of the Milky Way and star trails from the campsite inside the narrow canyon, but there was a thin layer of clouds that foiled those plans. Around 0100 in the morning the sky cleared up some, but by then the Galactic Core had set and the photos came out just so-so. I did manage to get some night time campsite photos illuminated by the campfire and the off-road lights from the Jeep.

When my so saw that last photo, he asked me if I camped inside a huge cave! lol

Day 2 : San Lorenzo Canyon to the VLA and surrounding area
Miles: 162.8 mi
Trip Time: 14 hrs 8 min
Average Speed: 11.5 mph
Ascent: 5,198 ft
Decent: 2,899 ft

The next morning I was up at dawn to explore the rest of the San Lorenzo Canyon area before heading off to the VLA.

The main image I wanted to try and capture on this trip was the Milky Way with one of the VLA dishes in the foreground. Since the window for that photograph did not open until after 8:30 that night, I spent the day exploring the area and confirming some of my pre-scouted campsite. It was a great day to just be out by myself in nature exploring.

I did get some decent day time photos of the array as well.

Once darkness fell I was able to go back to a location that I had identified earlier in the day and capture the image that I wanted from this trip.

Setting up camp with a RTT when you are doing astrophotography is pretty interesting since everything has to be done really late at night on the darkest of nights (and locations).

Day 3 : VLA Visitor Center and surrounding area
Miles: 57.9 mi
Trip Time: 8 hrs 41 min
Average Speed: 7.8 mph
Ascent: 608 ft
Decent: 970 ft

I was up again before sunrise to get back to the VLA to shoot in the morning light.

It is hard to imagine how large the arrays are until you can put it into perspective.

Once the VLA visitor center opened up, I made my way there for the official self guided tour and to watch the interesting videos they have.

After the tour and some campsite lunch (there is no food at the VLA besides candy bars), I did some camera maintenance and took a nap in preparation for more night time photography. Waking up in the early evening, I drove closer to where I was going to shoot that night to see how the sky was developing. There were lots of clouds and some rain moving around the area. Those conditions can make for some nice evening and sunset images, but they can completely ruin any chances of Milky Way and stair trail photos.

Luckily, by 9:00pm the skies had cleared and I was able to get some more night shots in.

My wife appreciates it when I take at least one selfie on my trips.

After finishing up at the array that night, I made a quick camp nearby and setup one last photo to take while I was sleeping.

Day 4 : VLA surrounding area and home
Miles: 512.2 mi
Trip Time: 8 hrs 16 min
Average Speed: 62 mph
Ascent: 9545 ft
Decent: 9772 ft

The 4th day was a straight shot home via the highway and Interstate. This short trip turned out to be quite fun and while not physically relaxing due to all the driving and weird hours I kept, getting out in nature and shooting some photographs always relaxes me mentally.

Pretzel

Rank IV

Member III

Greenville, NC
First Name
Eric
Last Name
D.
Member #

What a beautiful trip! My inner geek is jealous. I might have to put this on the list.

Etoimos

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

What a beautiful trip! My inner geek is jealous. I might have to put this on the list.
Thank you. It is a cool place to check out. There is not much else around it to do though, so you'd need to really be into the VLA to make a trip out of it. You could do a "space" trip from east to west hitting Roswell NM, the VLA and the meteor crater just outside Flagstaff AZ. There are several space type museum along that path as well.

Reactions: Corrie

Etoimos

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

Thanks @gDanCO .

@Ashton , it is definitely a place to stop on a longer trip. There is good dispersed camping close by and it only takes an hour or two to see it all.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I recently had the opportunity to drive down to New Mexico in the middle of the week to check out the Very Large Array (VLA). Some of you might remember seeing the VLA in movie Contact staring Jodi Foster. For those of you that do not know what the VLA is, here is the description from the National Radio Astronomy Observatory:

“The Very Large Array, one of the world's premier astronomical radio observatories, consists of 27 radio antennas in a Y-shaped configuration on the Plains of San Agustin fifty miles west of Socorro, New Mexico. Each antenna is 25 meters (82 feet) in diameter. The data from the antennas is combined electronically to give the resolution of an antenna 36 km (22 miles) across, with the equivalent sensitivity of a dish 130 meters (422 feet) in diameter.”

I was at the VLA in mid-September and it was in configuration A, the most spread out configuration. They post a schedule showing what configuration the Array will be in. This is very helpful if you are trying to get certain photographs. I am already thinking about a return trip while it is in configuration C or D to get some photos of the dishes all clustered together.

Day 1: Peyton, CO to San Lorenzo Canyon, NM
Miles: 471.6 mi
Trip Time: 8 hrs 42 min
Average Speed: 54.1 mph
Ascent: 8,468 ft
Decent: 10,041 ft

The majority of Day 1 was uneventful Interstate traveling. Once you exit off of I-25 heading South, things get a little more interesting. You have to travel the service road for a ways and it crosses under I-25 twice via those really narrow passage ways.

You quickly leave what little civilization there is behind and find yourself in a wide valley surrounded by low scrub and cacti.

The San Lorenzo Canyon is a really cool area with several small side canyons with campsites at the end of them. One of them is particularly narrow and goes quite a bit deeper into the canyon before it ends at a very unique campsite. I was not expecting much camping activity since it was the middle of the week, but I also wanted to make sure I got this campsite. As such, I decided to setup camp as soon as I got there and explore the rest of the area on foot and the next day with the Jeep.

I was hoping to get some photos of the Milky Way and star trails from the campsite inside the narrow canyon, but there was a thin layer of clouds that foiled those plans. Around 0100 in the morning the sky cleared up some, but by then the Galactic Core had set and the photos came out just so-so. I did manage to get some night time campsite photos illuminated by the campfire and the off-road lights from the Jeep.

When my so saw that last photo, he asked me if I camped inside a huge cave! lol

Day 2 : San Lorenzo Canyon to the VLA and surrounding area
Miles: 162.8 mi
Trip Time: 14 hrs 8 min
Average Speed: 11.5 mph
Ascent: 5,198 ft
Decent: 2,899 ft

The next morning I was up at dawn to explore the rest of the San Lorenzo Canyon area before heading off to the VLA.

The main image I wanted to try and capture on this trip was the Milky Way with one of the VLA dishes in the foreground. Since the window for that photograph did not open until after 8:30 that night, I spent the day exploring the area and confirming some of my pre-scouted campsite. It was a great day to just be out by myself in nature exploring.

I did get some decent day time photos of the array as well.

Once darkness fell I was able to go back to a location that I had identified earlier in the day and capture the image that I wanted from this trip.

Setting up camp with a RTT when you are doing astrophotography is pretty interesting since everything has to be done really late at night on the darkest of nights (and locations).

Day 3 : VLA Visitor Center and surrounding area
Miles: 57.9 mi
Trip Time: 8 hrs 41 min
Average Speed: 7.8 mph
Ascent: 608 ft
Decent: 970 ft

I was up again before sunrise to get back to the VLA to shoot in the morning light.

It is hard to imagine how large the arrays are until you can put it into perspective.

Once the VLA visitor center opened up, I made my way there for the official self guided tour and to watch the interesting videos they have.

After the tour and some campsite lunch (there is no food at the VLA besides candy bars), I did some camera maintenance and took a nap in preparation for more night time photography. Waking up in the early evening, I drove closer to where I was going to shoot that night to see how the sky was developing. There were lots of clouds and some rain moving around the area. Those conditions can make for some nice evening and sunset images, but they can completely ruin any chances of Milky Way and stair trail photos.

Luckily, by 9:00pm the skies had cleared and I was able to get some more night shots in.

My wife appreciates it when I take at least one selfie on my trips.

After finishing up at the array that night, I made a quick camp nearby and setup one last photo to take while I was sleeping.

Day 4 : VLA surrounding area and home
Miles: 512.2 mi
Trip Time: 8 hrs 16 min
Average Speed: 62 mph
Ascent: 9545 ft
Decent: 9772 ft

The 4th day was a straight shot home via the highway and Interstate. This short trip turned out to be quite fun and while not physically relaxing due to all the driving and weird hours I kept, getting out in nature and shooting some photographs always relaxes me mentally.
Great job, man, special work.

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

Do you need special access to get onto the array? Or is it a self guided, show up and go take a look kinda thing?

Etoimos

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

Do you need special access to get onto the array? Or is it a self guided, show up and go take a look kinda thing?
They have a self guided tour, but it costs like $6 and comes with some print outs and a movie you can watch. You could just walk about the place, but I felt the $6 was well spent. You can just walk around the dishes that are "out in the field" as they are miles from the actual VLA center. If you just walk around on your own, makes sure to turn off all you electronic devices (you can put your cell phone in airplane mode to use it's camera) so that you do not interfere with the radio waves they are collecting. Scientist can wait years to get 5 minutes of time for their project on the VLA and it would kind of suck if we distorted their data because we were just checking things out.

I see that you are in Lubbock. You could do a pretty neat "space" trip to the VLA by hitting Roswell NM and Spaceport America along the way.

bry42

Rank II
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6TRU
I love the pictures and map details. I don't yet have a 4x4, just a 2x4 Expedition with some beefy AT tires and my camping gear. I would love to make this trip with my 10yr old who is totally into space exploration these days? DId you encounter anything road wise that would require me to have a 4x4?

Etoimos

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

I love the pictures and map details. I don't yet have a 4x4, just a 2x4 Expedition with some beefy AT tires and my camping gear. I would love to make this trip with my 10yr old who is totally into space exploration these days? DId you encounter anything road wise that would require me to have a 4x4?
None of the roads on this trip were anything less than packed dirt. It could all probably be done in a Corolla if the weather is nice. lol Photo #4 on Day 2 is worst roads you would seen unless you got deep into the mountains to the south of the VLA. Do you use/have Gaia GPS? You might be able to see my route tracks and way points here if you do. If you can you will see a couple of camping sites to the south east of the VLA. To the west of that is a purple route that loops around. Just don't go into that area. It has some pretty rocky areas (no big rocks, but it is a little loose) and can get tight. Plus, there is nothing back there but some hunting spots. The camping sites to the west of that loop are much better and the well travelled two track road back to them is good. The last of the three, the one with the track going all the way to it is the one in the photo above and is really nice.

Reactions: bry42 and Shamu

Etoimos

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

Oh, if you are coming from Cali, you should hit the Meteor Crater Natural Landmark on your way through AZ. I've not been, but it is on my Space Exploration trip that I want to do with my soon to be 10 year old. Spaceport America is only 2.5 hours south east of the VLA as well. Not sure how much space stuff is there, but I think the Virgin Galactic space craft recently moved its operations down there. I would call the Spaceport and the VLA about getting special tours if you can.

And here is a site that lists publicly accessible telescopes.

Last edited:
Reactions: bry42

bry42

Rank II
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6TRU
Thank you for the information! I've downloaded the Gaia app and will out the check the maps! This is sounding like a great summer trip.

bry42

Rank II
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6TRU
Oh, if you are coming from Cali, you should hit the Meteor Crater Natural Landmark on your way through AZ. I've not been, but it is on my Space Exploration trip that I want to do with my soon to be 10 year old. Spaceport America is only 2.5 hours south east of the VLA as well. Not sure how much space stuff is there, but I think the Virgin Galactic space craft recently moved its operations down there. I would call the Spaceport and the VLA about getting special tours if you can.

And here is a site that lists publicly accessible telescopes.

bry42

Rank II
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6TRU
Oh, spaceport sounds like a great add to break up the drive a bit and keep the same theme. :-)