• HTML tutorial

Wolvee

ᕕ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ) ︻デ═一 pew pew
Staff member
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

Does anyone make a small solar panel that is a smart battery charger/maintainer? I'm adding a second battery and I'd like to design and install everything at once.

I'd like to permanently install it in the hood.

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Hello Wolvee,

In the Hood? Well, you need a very large solar panel to charge a good semi traction battery. So I did the panel on the roof.

This is an 80 watt solar panel. And I guess you need at least a 30 watt one to keep the battery charged. But if you do so, go for the extra Wattage. If possible (money wise) I will upgrade my Van's Solar charger up to at least 100 Watt, preferable to 150 Watt.
That will be just a bit more money, but will do much more for you.

Greetings from Robert

Reactions: BCD461

SonOfNeptune

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Springfield MO
Member #

Goal Zero makes a battery system. I just picked up 2 of their 90w solar panels... FYI they also have refurbished gear as well at a 50% discount. I just learned that when I bought the panels...

roamingtimber

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

North Cascades, Washington
Member #

Does anyone make a small solar panel that is a smart battery charger/maintainer? I'm adding a second battery and I'd like to design and install everything at once.

I'd like to permanently install it in the hood.
There is a thread on a solar trickle charger on the forum, somewhere. I just looked real quick but I could t find it. I know it's here somewhere though.

Turnbull_Ox

Rank 0

Contributor I

sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I felt compelled to inform you that most mid 2000 Volkswagen vehicles came with a small solar panel trickle charger. I used to manage an auto salvage yard, and speaking from experience you can probably get one for next to nothing.

Reactions: BCD461

justin marsh

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Miriam Vale QLD Australia
Member #

I like to use a portable solar panel so when your rig is set up at camp in the shade you can shade you can move the solar panel out into the sun. The set I use 180W with a smart charger built on.