Pelican Case Idea/ Kitchen Kit / What's your setup

• HTML tutorial

Desertsand

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Alameda
Here's another kitchen set up idea. I found a few others on expo portal and tailored it to my current kitchen needs. The idea was to have an easily accessible and somewhat organized storage container.

Thought I would share my set-up and maybe it would give someone an idea or too. Feel free to share yours to0.

Materials:
Pelican 1600
Project board
Shoe Goo (works for now) still looking for a better option

DSC_0049.jpgDSC_0051.jpg

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

Exactly what I use. Pelican 1630 with the dividers and the top organizer.

My stainless steel prep table sits between the edges of the cargo area, above my cases without touching them, so i can slide them in and out. Acts as my drawer system.

I normally take the table out, take the top layer of the kitchen out and put it on the table, then i can just grab things as i need them and it all packs up nicely.

My boxes are not fully packed since I am not on a trip, but i have lots of extra room for more food and other supplies. I normally pack 3 propane bottles in there, but i could fit a couple more if needed.

Under the stove is a full size griddle. I have a wood cutting saw in the top of the case and so many other little things. two stainless steel wine glasses (wine drinker here). The pot system has 4 cups or little bowls, it has a couple pot/pans, wash basin, etc. I have a big bag of silverware, spices, trash bags, ziplock bags, you name it. Stays organized with the dividers and easy to pack back up. Lift the top part up by its handles off the stainless table when im done, plop it back onto the lower part with the stove, and shut the case.

Last edited:

Desertsand

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Alameda
Have you considered one of the lid organizers Pelican makes for their cases? Pretty great more useful alternative to the foam if you store things like hand towels and soft goods.

Yeah I considered it. A little hesitant from the reviews I've read though. How are the zippers an the mesh holding up?

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Desertsand

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Alameda
Exactly what I use. Pelican 1630 with the dividers and the top organizer.

My stainless steel prep table sits between the edges of the cargo area, above my cases without touching them, so i can slide them in and out. Acts as my drawer system.

I normally take the table out, take the top layer of the kitchen out and put it on the table, then i can just grab things as i need them and it all packs up nicely.

My boxes are not fully packed since I am not on a trip, but i have lots of extra room for more food and other supplies. I normally pack 3 propane bottles in there, but i could fit a couple more if needed.

Under the stove is a full size griddle. I have a wood cutting saw in the top of the case and so many other little things. two stainless steel wine glasses (wine drinker here). The pot system has 4 cups or little bowls, it has a couple pot/pans, wash basin, etc. I have a big bag of silverware, spices, trash bags, ziplock bags, you name it. Stays organized with the dividers and easy to pack back up. Lift the top part up by its handles off the stainless table when im done, plop it back onto the lower part with the stove, and shut the case.
Very nice setup! Definitely going to keep an eye out for that model. Eventually think a big case like yours will be more manageable storage wise to as we contribute to fine our supplies.

Reactions: CapeFearXJ00

ASNOBODY

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate II

Detroit, Michigan
Member #

Yeah I considered it. A little hesitant from the reviews I've read though. How are the zippers an the mesh holding up?

No problem at all with any of them and I've used them for luggage for international travel well over 100 times and others in the rig full time.

chrispartida

Rank VI

Advocate II

Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Partida
Member #

Shoe Goo is kinda pricy compared to a caulk tube of quick drying silicone. Keep that in mind. You'll also have cleaner application using the fine tip. Check your local hardware store.

I can 3rd the Pelican lid dividers. The zippers are all YKK, and the mesh will hold up, as long as you are packing smart. Don't have rough or sharp items rubbing mesh, keep patches off it, and it'll last.

-Chris
OB# 3276
CP TACO

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

I use a 1650 for the kitchen. The REI folding table fits perfectly width wise. And the Primus Atle stove fit perfectly front to back. Some small pots and 2-3 propane tanks fill out the bottom. Then the grill utensils, paper towels, napkins, cutting board fill in the gaps. Count me as x4 for the lid organizer. Spices, salt/pepper shakers, chef knife, forks, etc, all have a spot. I won an OB edition Skottle at OTG last year. It barely fits in the 1650 and isn't as efficient in terms of packing space. Still playing around to get it just right.

Vantams

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Plain City, Utah
First Name
Kory
Last Name
Tams
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7UFV
I just acquired a Pelican 1640 and I wan to do something like this... I'll throw some pics up as it goes...

Wanderer351

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder III

bladensburg,ohio
Member #

I use this one for the kitchen of 7..some cast iron...Coleman gladiator..dinnerware and kitchen utensils...spices and heavy gloves for campfire and trasharoo...its got an upper tray that holds smaller stuff we use when cooking....

The wheels make it much easier to move around!! Good locks and seals too...

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Glenn

davis31052

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Eddie
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Service Branch
U.S. Marines
I use a Stanley fat max rolling tool box as my kitchen. It fits everything I can think of and works great but it is heavy.. I love it though...

Sent from my LG-H810 using OB Talk mobile app

What stove can you fit in this Stanley box? Pic of your set up please?

thx!

TXstar37

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Mansfield, TX, USA
First Name
Seth
Last Name
Lewis
Member #

I made a kitchen/chuck box out of this rolling tool chest from Ridgid. I also made some dividers out of corrugated plastic. I'll post a photo of my set up later...

View attachment 21462

You can also add additional options like another tool box or a plastic crate and have the ability to stack & lock them all together like this:
View attachment 21463
Any pics/videos of your setup? I'm interested in this idea.

Veggie Man

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Fort Worth
First Name
John
Last Name
Armstrong
Member #

Y'all are giving me some great ideas for my current setup. I am sure I can make it better now.