Passed Technician. Ham Cram FOR THE WIN!

• HTML tutorial

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
It's pretty cool how all this came together. I remember the discussion with the guys at the Porter's meetup about pursuing our HAM license. And here we are barely 5 weeks later all licensed up.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
It's pretty cool how all this came together. I remember the discussion with the guys at the Porter's meetup about pursuing our HAM license. And here we are barely 5 weeks later all licensed up.
It is really cool how it all came together. It’s going to be really neat having us all licensed up running our coms on the trails.

MojaveGreen

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Palmdale, CA, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Kelly
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE6SGE
Welcome all you new ham’s and congratulations. Trail coms. local nets and Repeaters is just the beginning. There is a whole world out there waiting to talk to you and I do mean the whole world.

Reactions: TerryD and M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Welcome all you new ham’s and congratulations. Trail coms. local nets and Repeaters is just the beginning. There is a whole world out there waiting to talk to you and I do mean the whole world.

Thank you. I can‘t wait to get on the air. I think this is going to be a fun hobby for me as well as a tool... it’s going to be very interesting to see how deep this rabbit hole goes for me.

Reactions: Big G and TerryD

MojaveGreen

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Palmdale, CA, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Kelly
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE6SGE
As deep as you let it! 6m the magic band is a fun one and is a lot like Hf but smaller and is a lot like Uhf but bigger (if that makes any sense) and if you used to CB than 10m should be of interest or you can experiment with lazar and or microwaves and even build your own Tv station if you wanted and then there is field day along with ARRL worked all counties, zones, states and even worked all continents but wait there's more…..Islands on the Air. Start building your vintage equipment collection, make your own equipment or swap out your old gear for new. So as you can see this rabbit hole can get pretty deep but it can also take you into any number of different directions as well oh I almost forgot about QRP. If you enjoy Altoids then your off to a good start in QRP. Then again running 1500 watts into a monster Yagi, LPDA or a quad sitting atop a 100+ foot tower makes a heck of a statement both on air and off. Why choose, try it all and have fun.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

As deep as you let it! 6m the magic band is a fun one and is a lot like Hf but smaller and is a lot like Uhf but bigger (if that makes any sense) and if you used to CB than 10m should be of interest or you can experiment with lazar and or microwaves and even build your own Tv station if you wanted and then there is field day along with ARRL worked all counties, zones, states and even worked all continents but wait there's more…..Islands on the Air. Start building your vintage equipment collection, make your own equipment or swap out your old gear for new. So as you can see this rabbit hole can get pretty deep but it can also take you into any number of different directions as well oh I almost forgot about QRP. If you enjoy Altoids then your off to a good start in QRP. Then again running 1500 watts into a monster Yagi, LPDA or a quad sitting atop a 100+ foot tower makes a heck of a statement both on air and off. Why choose, try it all and have fun.
...and moon bounce...and meteor scatter... Summits on the Air.... Parks on the Air....QSO Parties...DX....DXpeditions... Special Events....Winter Field Day...Fox Hunting... and...and...and

• Haha

MojaveGreen

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Palmdale, CA, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Kelly
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE6SGE
Jon, I like your “Influencer II” moniker. As a group of people who share common or not so common interests like over landing and ham radio, does this group organize DXpeditions or rally up for field day? Because these two things make for a great reason to go play outdoors and use these new and not so new licenses.

Big G

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Grants Pass, OR, USA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Cloud
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7MZB
Woot! I passed the Technician test on Saturday. Many thanks to the Columbia Amateur Radio Association (N7EI) for the Ham Cram. All of the attendees passed! I also used the HAM Test Prep Technician app on iOS (‎HAM Test Prep: Technician).

Now, I'm waiting on the FCC while I research radios. I'm considering a handheld option I can use while hiking too. I'm leaning toward the YAESU FT-60R.

Attached are some of the rigs for those attending the Ham Cram.

View attachment 136121
Congratulations on passing. I'm in the cram process right now with exam on the 21st. Studying like crazy, taking the practice tests over and over, and still wondering if I'll pass.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Congratulations on passing. I'm in the cram process right now with exam on the 21st. Studying like crazy, taking the practice tests over and over, and still wondering if I'll pass.
What are you scoring on the practice exams?

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Jon, I like your “Influencer II” moniker. As a group of people who share common or not so common interests like over landing and ham radio, does this group organize DXpeditions or rally up for field day? Because these two things make for a great reason to go play outdoors and use these new and not so new licenses.
Not as much as one might hope.
I do plan on primitive camping at a local lake and operating for Field Day for which I will do a Rally Point here for anyone interest in joining.
Though we here share both overlanding and ham interest we are spread over such a large area that a local get together involving both hobbies may draw a small crowd if any.
We shall see.
Do you have plans for Field day? Maybe you can also set up an event and we can try to work each other on FD.

Reactions: TerryD

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I generally score in the 50-60% range. Couple test were in the 70% range. Oh, I'll get there.
Memorize the test pool... study the flash cards in the areas you are week at and memorize the correct answer. You will get there... I have some learning disabilities and I was still able to memorize the answers....

Big G

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Grants Pass, OR, USA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Cloud
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7MZB
Are you just taking the test over and over? Or are you also including study material?
I am studying the manual, going to classes, and taking practice tests over and over. There are just some sections I've yet to get my head around. I'm frustrated with myself but I'll get it. Thanks for your interest.

Big G

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Grants Pass, OR, USA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Cloud
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7MZB
Memorize the test pool... study the flash cards in the areas you are week at and memorize the correct answer. You will get there... I have some learning disabilities and I was still able to memorize the answers....
I'm pretty much doing what you're saying and I'm certainly making progress but not at the pace I would like. Thanks for your interest Mike.

MojaveGreen

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Palmdale, CA, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Kelly
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE6SGE
Not as much as one might hope.
I do plan on primitive camping at a local lake and operating for Field Day for which I will do a Rally Point here for anyone interest in joining.
Though we here share both overlanding and ham interest we are spread over such a large area that a local get together involving both hobbies may draw a small crowd if any.
We shall see.
Do you have plans for Field day? Maybe you can also set up an event and we can try to work each other on FD.
I have only done it once before with a good friend of mine and we sucked at it but it was still fun trying and the part of getting out should appeal to this community and being spread out all over the place like you stated is a better reason to go out and practice emergency communications preparedness just incase they/we need it someday and if I remember right it’s a heck of a way to get experience with fast paced hamming. I don’t have any plans as yet for it but the more I think about it and talking to you maybe I will dust off my gear and find a good place to set up and give it a try and as I said before it is a good reason to go camping. I would look forward to a QSL with you during the event or otherwise. Take care my friend, Brian