Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

I'm going to try to activate LBJ grasslands this morning on 20m. I got my 7300 yesterday so it's a trial by fire.
Very cool. Looks like you had a successful activation. What antenna were you using? Even with some weather coming through, 20m was great for me. You have to love when that SFI starts getting over 100!

Reactions: OBDave

Michael Golden

Rank VI

Explorer I

Tampa Fl
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Golden
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG4BCN
Service Branch
U.S. Army
KG4BCN from Tampa Florida. Yaesu FT 857nd and a Midland GMRS radio enclosed in a watertight Gator Box. It's served me well over the last couple of years. With this unit I can use voice or digital modes.radio box.jpeg

CMac

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Ashburn, VA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
McIntyre
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4UNO
Service Branch
USN
Here’s my SOTA beam…it collapses down to 22” or so and extends to 23 feet. Here it’s guyed, but it doesnt have to be: you can hook your typical, resonant EFHW (amazing antenna, SWR is 1:1 across 40m and 20m) to the end and lean it up on a tree…make your 10 QSOs and get down the road to your next activation. Or your favorite brewery.

On the business end, I run an IC-705…or the 7300 if I’m working from the vehicle. If you want to make SOTA activations, you must not be near your car.

Attachments

OBDave

Rank IV
Investor

Enthusiast I

Albertville, AL, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Guthrie
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4OK
Service Branch
6 years in AL ANG
I am a POTA guy heading to Oregon on the Trans America Trail. My goal is to activate as many parks as possible on this trip. My gear will be 2 FT-891's, IC-7000 and several antenna's from Ham Stick, WRC with the 17' whip and end feds. Taking my KX2 for some qrp contacts and my portable satellite station. Plan to operate 60-6 ssb, cw, and digital whenever possible. Hope to work everyone. de Dave KN4OK

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

The POTA app lists all the Operators, freq, time, location and park name, it refreshes every 60 sec.5D4F6C49-EFE1-4C26-AEC0-354C2ADC3621.jpeg

Last edited:

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
It doesn’t list all… I don’t use the app, and don’t self spot either.
Whoa there Hoss, don’t blow a fuse, to each his own.
I wasn’t blowing a fuse, just stating a fact, a lot of us still use paper logs and scan them in to email and send them to our directors.