Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Anyone bringing kiddos? Thinking about bringing my 11 year old but I know he will get bored without other kids there.
Last time we went with our two youngest (both teens at the time), they enjoyed the beach and playing in the water, but did get bored with the long drive. This time will be kid free for us.

Reactions: bowdy85

Anazlu

Rank I

Member I

Texas 77845, United States
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Horton
Member #

Me and my wife are in. We are going to be down on the 10th. We both work on the 9th and can't get off. But we are coming in from the College Station area. And won't be there until early Saturday or noon Saturday. Depending on when we leave

We will be bringing our little dog to see how he handles it.

This will be a good practice trip we are planning this exact trip just longer in May.

Last edited:
Reactions: roots66

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Me and my wife are in. We are going to be down on the 10th. We both work on the 9th and can't get off. But we are coming in from the College Station area. And won't be there until early Saturday or noon Saturday. Depending on when we leave

This will be a good practice trip we are planning this exact trip just longer in May.
Not sure what time Sat morning we will be making our way down the island. Keep an eye out for a red Colorado. I will also have the small OB flag attached to a pole on the rear basket.

Reactions: Anazlu

Anazlu

Rank I

Member I

First Name
Paul
Last Name
Horton
Member #

Not sure what time Sat morning we will be making our way down the island. Keep an eye out for a red Colorado. I will also have the small OB flag attached to a pole on the rear basket.
Yes as we get closer I'll message and try to see where everyone is.

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Yes as we get closer I'll message and try to see where everyone is.
Just FYI for everyone, there is zero cell service on the island. I will have my GMRS set to channel 16 (freq 462.575) for those who have them.

Reactions: Anazlu

Anazlu

Rank I

Member I

First Name
Paul
Last Name
Horton
Member #

Just FYI for everyone, there is zero cell service on the island. I will have my GMRS set to channel 16 (freq 462.575) for those who have them.
Yes I knew that. I have a hand held GMRS Radio. I've posted under the communication threads. I'm hoping to have a Rig Radio before this trip.

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Burn bans have been popping up in the area, so it will be something to watch as we get closer.

Currently no burn ban is in place on the island.
Good to know.
We'll be using a rocket stove to cook, so no real open fire here.

bowdy85

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Portland, TX 78374, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Bowden
Member #

Currently, there is work going on at the far south end of the island, and we may not able to go past mile 59(Mansfield Cut and jetties). I am not sure about the timetable for them to wrap things up, but they have been working on it for the past few months. Beach access is unrestricted to that point though. Looking forward to my first rally!
Update: Scheduled to end work in March.
Update: all work on the south end of the island has been completed and equipment has been removed. The area is now back open for public use.

Reactions: Anazlu and roots66

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Fun fact: I just heard that after Hurricane Hanna (July 2020), the beach is now about 20-30 yards wider. :sunglasses:

Reactions: bowdy85