Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

My snorkel is a safari snorkel i ordered from australia before they were available here. Its off a holden rg colorado or isuzu dmax it doesn't fit the square wheel well arch right the holden colorados have more of a rounded arch but it works, id go with the aev if i had to do it again. If i had known the bison was coming out back in 2016 i would have just waited and bought on of them now. I have people ask about the snorkel and if its a bison when getting diesel and i usually tell em no its an antelope.

Reactions: ChasingOurTrunks

Pathfinder I

Canada
First Name
Craig
Last Name
PereferNotToSay
One of the guys on Coloradofans is fitting the AEV to his Canyon. I forget where his install stands but I'll check this evening.
Just did a quick search and couldn't find it so if you could send me the link to that, I'd be very interested!

Right now my only other option is to build my own which seems like it'll never quite have the same fit/finish/function as the AEV option.

Pathfinder I

Canada
First Name
Craig
Last Name
PereferNotToSay
My snorkel is a safari snorkel i ordered from australia before they were available here. Its off a holden rg colorado or isuzu dmax it doesn't fit the square wheel well arch right the holden colorados have more of a rounded arch but it works, id go with the aev if i had to do it again. If i had known the bison was coming out back in 2016 i would have just waited and bought on of them now. I have people ask about the snorkel and if its a bison when getting diesel and i usually tell em no its an antelope.
Thanks Boost. Based on the pic you posted, if I overlay the Canyon in the same way I should have some idea of the snorkel will fit and that opens up the options a fair bit.

Love the "No, it's an antelope" thing. Probably leaves a few folks scratching their heads!

Pathfinder I

Canada
First Name
Craig
Last Name
PereferNotToSay
Okay that took less time than I thought. It looks very, very close but the fender wheel arch on the Canyon may interfere a bit. It's close enough to explore further, but not close enough to take a $700 gamble on ordering the ARB snorkel just yet.

Yesterday afternoon after work I called around to quite a few 4x4 shops but none were willing to order the ARB/Safari in to test, as it's all special order (so no returns if it doesn't fit). If anyone is in Alberta with a Colorado and a snorkel, I'd be mighty obliged if you would let me see how the snorkel part fits the Canyon. I promise to post up results for all others.

Heres what I see from overlaying the photos a bit; I know the angles aren't perfect but I tried to line up the windshield pillar and wheel arch as close as I could so that the fender was roughly in the right place. I'll try to snap other photos later that have identical angles/distances to get a better view though I think this is fairly telling - it clearly shows the wheel arch interfering.

Reactions: JCWages

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

If your looking to make your own dont i went that route trying to build a carbon fiber snorkel it was a mistake. Really just about any snorkel thats 4" diameter and on the passenger side would work if you are creative. A heat gun can work wonders on plastics. Just remember any snorkel you decide on your gonna be cutting into a $250 fender, if you dont plan on driving through water higher than your headlight its probably not necessary.

I got lucky and had someone back into me then just leave in a parking lot and it bent my passenger fender where the wheel well meets the bumper. I bent it back out the best i could then decided to put the buswhacker fender flares on to cover it and i figure i might as well snorkel it since there are so many floods down here in texas nowdays. It has given me the ability to make it home when there has been area flooding multiple times, ive also done some high water recoveries

Pathfinder I

Canada
First Name
Craig
Last Name
PereferNotToSay
If your looking to make your own dont i went that route trying to build a carbon fiber snorkel it was a mistake. Really just about any snorkel thats 4" diameter and on the passenger side would work if you are creative. A heat gun can work wonders on plastics. Just remember any snorkel you decide on your gonna be cutting into a $250 fender, if you dont plan on driving through water higher than your headlight its probably not necessary.

I got lucky and had someone back into me then just leave in a parking lot and it bent my passenger fender where the wheel well meets the bumper. I bent it back out the best i could then decided to put the buswhacker fender flares on to cover it and i figure i might as well snorkel it since there are so many floods down here in texas nowdays. It has given me the ability to make it home when there has been area flooding multiple times, ive also done some high water recoveries
I am grateful for that info and for the advice on other alternatives. I was either going to fabricate a snorkel from aluminum or carbon fibre but I think knowing there are many overseas with 4” inlets that can be adapted is handy. I’ll do some more research and see. Thanks very much for the info!

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

Just did a quick search and couldn't find it so if you could send me the link to that, I'd be very interested!

Right now my only other option is to build my own which seems like it'll never quite have the same fit/finish/function as the AEV option.
Here you go. :)

Pathfinder I

Canada
First Name
Craig
Last Name
PereferNotToSay
Here you go. :)

I owe both of you guys a few cold ones around a fire someday -- that AEV snorkel looks great on the Canyon. There's hardly a gap there at all. That is the direction I think I'll go in; I like the look.

Thanks for posting that -- I was searching for hours with no luck over the past few days so this is very much appreciated!

Reactions: JCWages

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

I owe both of you guys a few cold ones around a fire someday -- that AEV snorkel looks great on the Canyon. There's hardly a gap there at all. That is the direction I think I'll go in; I like the look.

Thanks for posting that -- I was searching for hours with no luck over the past few days so this is very much appreciated!
All good my friend. Deadly99's rig inspired a lot of my mods. I love that truck!

We're heading up to Banff and Jasper in July so maybe I'll take you up on that beer. ;)

Pathfinder I

Canada
First Name
Craig
Last Name
PereferNotToSay
Great thread, I’m just starting on my overlanding adventure/rig build so your experiences and detailed explanations are awesome deffo going to follow along!
Thanks Jakes2514! I appreciate the kind words and will try to keep that level of detail in all my posts.

For all readers who have gotten this far, don’t hold your breath for updates right away. We will be collecting parts and materials as our budget allows and rather than post a piecemeal part I’ll put the full walk through of each component. For example, even though we have some elements of our dual battery system already, and we’ve used it a bit, I’ll wait until the dual battery system is complete and then post a full write-up.

Pathfinder I

Canada
First Name
Craig
Last Name
PereferNotToSay
Hi folks

I mentioned this in my first post of this thread, but beyond overlanding, my wife and I like to document our adventures and I enjoy working with video as a hobby. We are not and have no plans of doing the overland youtube thing as a way of making money — we make these for three reasons:

1) it’s a way of bringing two hobbies together.
2) it’s a way of making a record so that future generations of our family can see what we got up to first-hand
3) it’s a way of letting those we have a meaningful connection with (friends, family, and overland communities like this) know what our latest adventures are in a medium that’s a bit more interesting than text.

Basically if you remember being subjected to your family friend’s vacation slide shows or handycam movies as a kid, this is the same thing except we won’t be inviting you over for dinner first, and you aren’t going to be a captive in our living room so you can shut it off anytime! Jokes aside, we aren’t full timers and we have no desire to be asking for Patreon contributions or anything of the sort. There is nothing wrong with folks who do that, more power to them, but if my video hobby ever came to that it would feel more like a job, and I have a few of those already so I don’t want more! We also always self-fund our adventures and appreciate the freedom that gives us.

With the caveat that you are not going to be getting professional level videos out of the way, we put together a little tribute to our beloved Jeep. It more or less says the same stuff as the first post but it’s below if you want to watch it. I’ll be adding more videos of our build if and when I feel like it in the future too! I’m particularly excited about our new tent plan which we will finish this winter.

Anyway here you go:

Edit: Looks like the video may not be loading but you can Click here for the direct YouTube Link.

Last edited:

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

That was great. The video put a lot more emotion behind the loss of Ruby and what overlanding means to your family. Well done.

And thanks again for the Banff/Jasper advice. We saw some amazing stuff but missed so much more. We will definitely be back!

Pathfinder I

Canada
First Name
Craig
Last Name
PereferNotToSay
That was great. The video put a lot more emotion behind the loss of Ruby and what overlanding means to your family. Well done.

And thanks again for the Banff/Jasper advice. We saw some amazing stuff but missed so much more. We will definitely be back!
Thanks JC! I saw your post last night but didn’t get a chance to comment until today. At the end of the day, obviously a car is just a car, but when we put so much time and energy and create so many memories, it’s easy to get attached. I’m sure lots of folks on this board can relate!

Glad you had a good time in our neck of the woods! We’ve been exploring Alberta and BC overlanding for nearly 10 years and there’s still so much more to see here so lots of reasons to come back!

Pathfinder I

Canada
First Name
Craig
Last Name
PereferNotToSay
Hi folks,

We've been a bit silent on the boards for the last few months (A story for a campfire, not the internet). We're also changing directions with our build and looking to do a deck + canopy.

Obviously that's going to be a huge project, but I have a different question for the geniuses of OB.

Does anyone know of a good solution for the 4x4 indicator? On the Twins, it's hidden behind the steering wheel and the only indication that a truck is in 4x4 is a pinhole light on the knob -- which I can't see while driving, because of the steering wheel.

On bigger trucks (Sierra and Silverado) there is a screen on the HUD that gives you the transfer case/4x4 status, but I don't see that on our trucks.

Does anyone have a solution for this?

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

Hi folks,

We've been a bit silent on the boards for the last few months (A story for a campfire, not the internet). We're also changing directions with our build and looking to do a deck + canopy.

Obviously that's going to be a huge project, but I have a different question for the geniuses of OB.

Does anyone know of a good solution for the 4x4 indicator? On the Twins, it's hidden behind the steering wheel and the only indication that a truck is in 4x4 is a pinhole light on the knob -- which I can't see while driving, because of the steering wheel.

On bigger trucks (Sierra and Silverado) there is a screen on the HUD that gives you the transfer case/4x4 status, but I don't see that on our trucks.

Does anyone have a solution for this?
I've seen where the knob was relocated somewhere else but I forget where. The thread was on Coloradofans. I bet you could wire in an additional LED and mount it somwwhere higher on the dash. The '17+ trucks have an icon in the center cluster that lights up when in Auto4wd or Hi,Lo.

Reactions: ChasingOurTrunks