Enthusiast I

Pottstown, Pennsylvania 19465, United States
First Name
Derek
Last Name
Bodenstab
Member #

Derek from Pottstown, PA

I recently returned to PA after a nearly year long trek across the country exploring a large region of the West. While my adventure has since ended, and I have settled back into a "normal" life, I find myself longing for the next adventure.

Perhaps a number of you already have trips planned, or are just dreaming up the next journey. Perhaps you don't know where to start. I wanted to propose a monthly regional meetup, or Rally Point, where we could congregate outdoors, swap stories and ideas, compare rigs, sell/trade gear, or just share in the common bond of adventure travel.

I've attached a link to the Rally Point below.

It would be great to meet up with a number of you in the region, float some ideas, and see where we can go...

FZJ80PA

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

PA, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Cee
Member #

Derek from Pottstown, PA

I recently returned to PA after a nearly year long trek across the country exploring a large region of the West. While my adventure has since ended, and I have settled back into a "normal" life, I find myself longing for the next adventure.

Perhaps a number of you already have trips planned, or are just dreaming up the next journey. Perhaps you don't know where to start. I wanted to propose a monthly regional meetup, or Rally Point, where we could congregate outdoors, swap stories and ideas, compare rigs, sell/trade gear, or just share in the common bond of adventure travel.

I've attached a link to the Rally Point below.

It would be great to meet up with a number of you in the region, float some ideas, and see where we can go...

I'm in Lancaster, my buddy Kevin @vwauditech and I started Central PA Overland facebook group in 2018, that's another decent place for us PA folk and lots of OB members. I'm down to meet up in Morgantown sounds like a good time and monthly is a great idea.

dboden01

Rank V

Enthusiast I

Pottstown, Pennsylvania 19465, United States
First Name
Derek
Last Name
Bodenstab
Member #

I'm in Lancaster, my buddy Kevin @vwauditech and I started Central PA Overland facebook group in 2018, that's another decent place for us PA folk and lots of OB members. I'm down to meet up in Morgantown sounds like a good time and monthly is a great idea.
The Facebook page is great! I look forward to meeting up.

Reactions: FZJ80PA

Jyoung992

Rank 0

Traveler I

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Young
Pittsburgh here! New to the forum but been exploring around PA since the early 90’s.

Just sold my Nissan Xterra...getting out of the rock crawling sandbox (for now) and focusing more on the adventures of overlanding and camping. Picked up a 2018 Toyota Tundra I plan to outfit as a go anywhere/do anything kinda truck.

I frequent Bald Eagle and Ohiopyle and am always looking to meet some new friends and see new places!

Before and after’s of the rigs:

A0B78AA8-7952-402E-97EE-EC3BBC3C3974.jpegBA02146F-3816-4B1F-88A2-3154FF1B7DBC.jpeg

FZJ80PA

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

PA, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Cee
Member #

Thanks! I’m stoked to have it, you’ve got a nice rig yourself. Your Facebook group is what lead me to this forum. We’ll have to link up sometime, I love Bald Eagle.
Absolutley! Glad you like the FB group there's some good stuff going on over there. Just hit 1000 members which is crazy to me when I just wanted maybe 10-20 likeminded people to have a place to chat, share knowledge and plan events. Never thought it would get to what it has become. But definitely we'll have to get together some time soon!

Reactions: DevilDodge

Jyoung992

Rank 0

Traveler I

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Young
Absolutley! Glad you like the FB group there's some good stuff going on over there. Just hit 1000 members which is crazy to me when I just wanted maybe 10-20 likeminded people to have a place to chat, share knowledge and plan events. Never thought it would get to what it has become. But definitely we'll have to get together some time soon!
Hey man community is what this is all about. I’ve met some cool people on that group and others like it so I’m glad it turned into what it has.

jwright

Rank VI

Steward I

Lancaster, PA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Wright
Member #

Hi Everyone!
I am new to OB and overlanding, but have experience camping. I am from Lancaster, PA and just bought a 2010 Lexus GX460. She is pretty much stock with 2.5" level kit and 32" tires. I plan to build it moderately for light trails, but want to get started with her as she is. I have seen folks talking about Bald Eagle State Forest. Not sure where to even start, but I got myself a Purple Lizard map of BE and joined OB today. Please let me know if I could tag along on a planned trip. thanks!Screen Shot 2021-03-11 at 5.32.06 PM.png

FZJ80PA

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

PA, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Cee
Member #

Hi Everyone!
I am new to OB and overlanding, but have experience camping. I am from Lancaster, PA and just bought a 2010 Lexus GX460. She is pretty much stock with 2.5" level kit and 32" tires. I plan to build it moderately for light trails, but want to get started with her as she is. I have seen folks talking about Bald Eagle State Forest. Not sure where to even start, but I got myself a Purple Lizard map of BE and joined OB today. Please let me know if I could tag along on a planned trip. thanks!View attachment 192218
Purple lizard map is a great start. Check out the Central PA Overland facebook group there may be some others heading to BESF this weekend. It's a great area with nice vistas.

I suggest checking out Paddy Mountain Road. If you use Gaia GPS send a message to @vwauditech he might have some gpx files to share.

Nice GX

Reactions: jwright

jwright

Rank VI

Steward I

Lancaster, PA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Wright
Member #

Hi all,
I was looking at Paddy Mountain Road with my Purple Lizard Map - is it better to enter the trail off 45 via Woodward Gap Rd and drive East until you hit 45 again or to do the reverse? How long does it take to do the trail? Perhaps I could do it both ways, but this would be my first trail. Is the trail well marked?

Thanks.

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Reactions: jwright and FZJ80PA

finlayforprez

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member II

Ronks, PA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
West
Member #

Small world I work in Gordonville
That's right up the street from me! I may have actually seen a Land Cruiser that fits the description in your signature. I have a 2018 black Land Cruiser with Massachusetts plates, but I don't drive it much these days.

finlayforprez

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member II

Ronks, PA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
West
Member #

Hi @finlayforprez and @4WDisciple - glad to hear some folks are nearby.

Looking for a post for the closest Rigs and Coffee event. I missed the one in MD the other day. Any of you go to these?
Howdy! I am not sure of where the closest event would be, but I have heard of them around this area (Lancaster). I can ask my buddy since he has been to them in the past. I don't typically go to any events.

I have been terrible about keeping up with any local OB events!

Reactions: jwright