Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Northern VA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Pukish
Member #

When I made the decision not to put an RTT on my rig I didn’t expect the task of picking out a ground tent to be so tasking. For months I’ve been searching for a tent that is large enough for four, sturdy, tough, easy to set up, has a good ‘classic’ style and look and would be sufficient to use as a basecamp when in the field. I struggled to find what I was looking for, until I came across Oztent. In short, they seem to be exactly what I’m looking for in every aspect. Anyone have, used or have firsthand experience with their products? My anticipated use is as a shelter/camp for my family on the east coast, from the beaches of the outer banks in NC, to the extreme northeast in the mountains. Anyone have any feedback?

Reactions: Graeman

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I don't own one at this time but, a number of my friends do. I was on the fence about an RTT or ground tent. If I was going ground tent and I had the room to carry it, I would own one. The only issues are packed up size and weight. On a couple of trips we had very high winds, the two OZ tents did very well. They were staked and didn't have the awnings out. Most of the trips we were camping in a different spot each day, the OZ Tents packed away almost as fast as my RTT.

WrightRunner

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

MONUMENT RANCH PERRIS CA 92570
First Name
Douglas
Last Name
Wright
Member #

I have no experience with the Oztent but it has a great reputation. Quite pricey though. And I believe most of the time you get what you pay for! There is another company out there making close to the same tent for alot less money that I here good things about. I'm not sure of the name but they are OB members. Good luck!

RusD

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Choctaw, Oklahoma, USA
First Name
Rusty
Last Name
D
Member #

We have had ours for several years now and love it. We bought it for the same reasons you listed above. Aside from the carry bag, it is rock solid. It is still huge when packed down but if you have a roof rack it's no problem. The quick setup is for real; however, that does not include optional stakes, awnings, rain fly, etc. If you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to help.

shortbus4x4

Rank II

Enthusiast III

I have two and have used them for 10+ years. Awesome tents. Quick to set up, takes longer and is better with two people if you do the awnings and stuff but just the tent itself is super easy. They are heavy but not bad for me, the biggest issue is the 5 series is long when packed. Very nice tents and I wouldn't hesitate to buy one again. I'd let you borrow one of mine for a weekend if you were closer.

Ulysses

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Tannum Sands - Boyne Island, Queensland, Australia
First Name
carl
Last Name
tunstall
Member #

I have had mine for a few years but now only take it with me when I intend to base camp preferring my roof top tent when touring. It is a quality tent that will stand up to the harshest conditions and is so easy/quick to set up and take down. There' are no major issues with this tent and it will last you years but I do have a couple of minor niggles....... the bag like most tent bags is too small and it can be a struggle to get the tent back in sometimes. The tent pole eyelets for the front canopy are a little small, fine for the poles that come supplied and whilst they are reasonable good quality I replace mine with thicker 'Superpeg' poles so I needed to replace the eyelets to suit. It's also worth getting two spreader bars to connect to the canopy upright poles to tension and support the front canopy. I didn't invest the extra in an additional fly sheet that can be purchased separately and glad I saved the dollars as I have never needed it in heaving rain, hot temperatures etc. And finally its quite long once packed in the bag so you'll likely need to transport it on your roof rack which can be quite a weight to lift up and down.
That said, on the whole I love my OzTent and will have it for years to come i'm sure. NB I have the RV4 which is plenty for two people,

Specter

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Northern VA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Pukish
Member #

Thank you all for the feedback!! I should have mentioned in my original post that my rig is a 4runner equipped with a Gobi Ranger rack. I covert sleep in my rig when it is just me, but want the Oztent for family outings. I fly back home tonight and will be measuring to ensure the rack can accommodate the large footprint of the packed Oztent. I also saw that Alubox makes a aluminum box for the packed tent, for which I’ll also be measuring. Both are expensive, but they seem like good investments. Thank you again for the feedback!

Reactions: smritte

The Captain

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Chelsea VIC, Australia
First Name
Neil
Last Name
Watts
Member #

When I made the decision not to put an RTT on my rig I didn’t expect the task of picking out a ground tent to be so tasking. For months I’ve been searching for a tent that is large enough for four, sturdy, tough, easy to set up, has a good ‘classic’ style and look and would be sufficient to use as a basecamp when in the field. I struggled to find what I was looking for, until I came across Oztent. In short, they seem to be exactly what I’m looking for in every aspect. Anyone have, used or have firsthand experience with their products? My anticipated use is as a shelter/camp for my family on the east coast, from the beaches of the outer banks in NC, to the extreme northeast in the mountains. Anyone have any feedback?
I presume were talking about the same Oztent, we had the RV5 as it's known hear in Aus and it was great. The 5 is a little on the heavy side though, only an issue if you have a big lift on your vehicle, definitely something to keep in mind. Never did we need to peg it down and always left the fly attached and never had any issue getting it back into the bag, I should probably mention that I used to pack life rafts for a living so very used to squeezing 100lb of s#$t into an 80lb bag.

Attachments

WrightRunner

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

First Name
Douglas
Last Name
Wright
Member #

For the cost, size and weight problem with the Oztent have you considered the Giselle tent. A lot less money and a lot less weight I love mine. Definitely fast to setup and take down. Just a thought!

Specter

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Northern VA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Pukish
Member #

I presume were talking about the same Oztent, we had the RV5 as it's known hear in Aus and it was great. The 5 is a little on the heavy side though, only an issue if you have a big lift on your vehicle, definitely something to keep in mind. Never did we need to peg it down and always left the fly attached and never had any issue getting it back into the bag, I should probably mention that I used to pack life rafts for a living so very used to squeezing 100lb of s#$t into an 80lb bag.
I appreciate the feedback - we are talking about the same tent. My life is only about 2” so I’m not concerned with the weight/height. Overall the tent seems like a solid purchase. Appreciate the feedback and picture share. Cheers.

Reactions: The Captain

Specter

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Northern VA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Pukish
Member #

For the cost, size and weight problem with the Oztent have you considered the Giselle tent. A lot less money and a lot less weight I love mine. Definitely fast to setup and take down. Just a thought!
I have checked them out. They are well built and easy to setup/breakdown. I am looking for something a little more robust and a less ‘camping tent’ and a little more ‘safari’ or ‘field expedition’ if that makes any sense - just want something with more of an old school feel, look and strength. With that said, appreciate the suggestion. I may end up with one of the Oztent doesn’t work for me.

Reactions: WrightRunner

WrightRunner

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

First Name
Douglas
Last Name
Wright
Member #

I have checked them out. They are well built and easy to setup/breakdown. I am looking for something a little more robust and a less ‘camping tent’ and a little more ‘safari’ or ‘field expedition’ if that makes any sense - just want something with more of an old school feel, look and strength. With that said, appreciate the suggestion. I may end up with one of the Oztent doesn’t work for me.
Have you seen the Kodak spring tent. People love them.

The Captain

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Chelsea VIC, Australia
First Name
Neil
Last Name
Watts
Member #

I appreciate the feedback - we are talking about the same tent. My life is only about 2” so I’m not concerned with the weight/height. Overall the tent seems like a solid purchase. Appreciate the feedback and picture share. Cheers.
Good luck with the decision making, as a reference we managed to get a queen size inflatable mattress into the RV5 with room for the dogs bed and a small suitcase along one side.

Reactions: Specter

Specter

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Northern VA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Pukish
Member #

So I just got home and measured my rack (Gobi Ranger), and the tent won’t fit up top. At least in a manner that I’d feel good about. I’m now looking at the Oxley tent...and open to others. Again, thanks for the feedback.

Specter

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Northern VA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Pukish
Member #

If anyone knows of a dealer in the US that sells the Oztent Oxley 7 - not the lite version - please let me know! Cheers!

Specter

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Northern VA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Pukish
Member #

Just wanted to update from my last post. There is a UK based company called BOAB (Home page) that sells all things Oztent and sells to the US. I was able to purchase the Oztent Oxley 7 - not the lite version which is the only one available in the US. They were very responsive and had outstanding customer service. Just wanted to pass on the info.

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
I have the RV3 OZTent and I love it. Mostly camp by myself and like you I wanted a more rugged easy to set up tent. My wife likes the fact that she can stand up inside with no problems. We even have enough room to bring the portapotti inside for night time she she doesn't have to wander around outside in the dark. I throw mine up on top of a Jeep JK 2 door and it takes up the entire length of the roof. I throw a couple of straps over it and crank them down. I have had it for about 4 months now and in a couple of weeks it will be making it's maiden voyage to SW Colorado for a week long vacation. I am looking forward to getting some great use out of it.